DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old October 11th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #201
hack

Peters and McCaffrey.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #202
SeattleLionsFan

I know a lot has been made about the D in this game but, I wanted to make one more point that I haven't seen anywhere.

Rutgers completed two "passes" for five yards. The first "pass" was the second play of the game and gained 6 yards. That "pass" though traveled about 3 inches and was really a jet sweep handoff. In my mind it is a pass in name only.

Excluding that "pass" Rutgers completed one pass. A bubble screen that the WR was immediately tackled by three guys for a loss of a yard. Essentially M held Rutgets to NEGATIVE passing yards. That's amazing.
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #203
Jeff Buchanan

talent, you are going to like this ......

One of ufm's bread and butter plays is the veer (or any number of things you want to call this play). First, you'll see video of osu running it successfully against OU and OU failing to defend it (and it's constraints) a lot like M did v. osu in 2015.

In the set of descriptions that follows, you'll see Rutgers trying to run this kind of play, and get picture of how Brown might defend it. Nothing startling schematically but what is startling is the athleticism of Peppers in the roll of Pup (Brown's term for the space occupying Hybrid in his modified version of a 3-4). The 3-4 tweek of Brown's makes it hard for the QB to either read the play side zone or, if he's reading the EMLOS, to figure out who that is and then read him.

Yeah, this is Rutgers and the sequence shows exactly how Rutgers screwed the pooch on this one resulting in a "whooping" of the RB by both McCray and Peppers. If the Rutgers QB pays attention, like I'm pretty sure jtb when he's on his game will do, it's a QB keeper to the weak side of the D and probably a decent gain.

http://mgoblog.com/content/neck-shar...litzes-iv#more
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #204
iam416

Saw it.

It's just hard to apply Rutgers to anything. It's almost purely conceptual because it's basically playing skeleton defense (or offense).

But, I like the approach. It seems to me you hit that approach with decided RPOs with the TE or lead back or you run backside -- which means the DL has to win.

It'll be interesting. In 2014 Bud Foster flummoxed a young OL with the Bear Look. It wasn't new, but OSU didn't have any particularly good counters to it at the time. They adjusted and started using wham blocks on 1 of the A gap guys and other different blocking angles. The next two games teams loaded up with the VT approach and were run off the field.

So, that's two things -- (1) a novel approach can work; (2) it's football...there's no magic bullet; no scheme that can't be solved. I

I think, however, M's secondary will allow M to play hyper-aggressive against whatever base run they're most concerned with -- I'm guessing inverted veer b/c M's interior line has to be able to limit inside power. That's why I have the game in the 20-17 range despite the fact BOTH teams are AVERAGING 50 points or more.
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #205
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
I know a lot has been made about the D in this game but, I wanted to make one more point that I haven't seen anywhere.

Rutgers completed two "passes" for five yards. The first "pass" was the second play of the game and gained 6 yards. That "pass" though traveled about 3 inches and was really a jet sweep handoff. In my mind it is a pass in name only.

Excluding that "pass" Rutgers completed one pass. A bubble screen that the WR was immediately tackled by three guys for a loss of a yard. Essentially M held Rutgets to NEGATIVE passing yards. That's amazing.
If you include sack yardage Michigan held Rutgers to about a negative yard per passing play
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #206
AlabamAlum

A bear front is the rage with some against that stuff. In the 2009 SECCG, Saban, at times, had us in an Oklahoma 5-2 and would shift to a bear on shorter yardage sets with decent success.

In 2014, Elliott was so quick to the edge, he'd be second level on many plays in less than 2 secinds. We needed to run a 5-5-5 against him at times. Pity, refs frown on 15 defenders.
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #207
UKBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
I wish I hadn't made Coach Harbaugh mad at me...

Save
Save
Save
So what did he say about Michigan that pissed HARBAUGH!!! off?
Old October 13th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #208
Dr. Strangelove

Something about Walmart khakis being of poor quality
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #209
UMStan White

Holding a camp with UfM the same day Harbaugh held his camp in NJ
UMStan White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 14th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #210
WingsFan

Moral of the story - Dont piss off Jim Harbaugh!

WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 14th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #211
Hannibal

I got a really strong RichRod at Michigan vibe from watching Rutgers on Saturday night.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #212
UKBB

I like that he doesn't try to pass the buck.
Old October 14th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #213
jaadam4

I like his perpetual scowl.
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #214
UMStan White

I like the fact we kicked his ass like it has never been kicked before in front of a whole slew of recruits.
UMStan White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #215
UKBB

Well yeah there is that.
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #216
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMStan White View Post
Holding a camp with UfM the same day Harbaugh held his camp in NJ

I believe Harbaugh had offered to do a camp with Ash, but Ash declined and did one with his good buddy, Urban on the same day. I'm sure Urban promised not to recruit any good players from NJ as part of the bargain.

Ash started his "Fence the Garden" campaign in response to the number of recruits Michigan has taken from NJ in recent years. Got the fan base fired up to the point where they regard Jabrill Peppers and Rashan Gary as traitors for not going to Rutgers and consider Jim Harbaugh as Satan. Apparently thought it would be a good idea to invite around 200 recruits to the game. Historians believe that the outcome of The Battle of the Little Bighorn took longer to decide.