DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old July 11th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #41
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hoss View Post
This explains much.

*Not a personal attack*

#isupportthismessage

I so wanted to Dixie flag that post...
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #42
lineygoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamAlum View Post
Hmmm...

Well, that was (to me) obviously a mild jest of a post. Not sure which part earned such a warning: hilljack? Moosehead? U.P.? Illiterate? (which is obviously a silly taunt because this is a message board you read) and, regardless, it certainly didn't carry the weight of say "dickhead" or other similar epithet. FWIW, a "hilljack" is a time-honored badge once only assigned to Tennessee fans but has become a playful taunt meaning the antithesis of urbane.

Nonetheless, feel free to mothball this thread.
I've seen nothing offensive in anything you've posted.

And if anyone should be offended by the term "hilljack", it would be me.

And, I'm not.

My father's entire family tree is from eastern Kentucky. Grandpa worked in the coal mines around Harlan County until after he was trapped in a cave-in, and managed to survive. He decided that his son, (my dad) wasn't going to work in the coal mines, and moved to Michigan to work in the auto factories.

I make fun of Kentucky folks all the time, because I have Kentucky bloodlines, and my dad's family poke fun at themselves all the time.

So, its all good. I see this as good natured banter, and all I've asked is that we keep things close to civil.

Proceed ...
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #43
iam416

The problem, as I see it, is twofold. First, unless you were draft eligible for WWII, you don't have firsthand knowledge of M as relevant CFB power. M fans are, more or less, akin to jackwagons touting Portugal's greatness on the back of Da Gama. Second, AlabamAlum is an asstard. His existence contradicts Darwin, Jebus, all basic laws of nature and the Constitution. Mixing the two is worse than mixing OP, hack, several cosmopolitans and the musical stylings of the Earth Wind and Fire.
Old July 11th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #44
Wild Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam416 View Post
The problem, as I see it, is twofold. First, unless you were draft eligible for WWII, you don't have firsthand knowledge of M as relevant CFB power. M fans are, more or less, akin to jackwagons touting Portugal's greatness on the back of Da Gama. Second, AlabamAlum is an asstard. His existence contradicts Darwin, Jebus, all basic laws of nature and the Constitution. Mixing the two is worse than mixing OP, hack, several cosmopolitans and the musical stylings of the Earth Wind and Fire.
Somebody doubled-down at the expresso machine this morning...
Wild Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #45
AlabamAlum

Espresso? No... That is Talent's usual response to me.
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #46
THE_WIZARD_

Hey, how come AA gets to have a thread? If he gets a thread, we'll all should get a thread, it'll be anarchy!!!
THE_WIZARD_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #47
AlabamAlum

Wiz,

I would revolt if I were you. You don't have to take that kind of abuse.
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #48
hack

hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #49
lineygoblue

Well, there's 3:30 I'll never get back ...
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #50
AlabamAlum

Harlan, KY is where Raylan Givens dispenses his justice.
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #51
Ghengis Jon

Quote:
Wiz,

I would revolt if I were you. You don't have to take that kind of abuse.
Too late. Wiz is revolting.

Ghengis Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #52
AlabamAlum

I was hoping someone would hit that softball.
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #53
Cody_Russell

Laremy Tunsil sent a letter to Freese.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-laremy-tunsil

Of course Tunsil would be a person that "sends a letter."
People still do that? Must be a SEC thing.

Email, phone call, text message, Skype... Come on SEC, get caught up on technology.
Cody_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #54
Jeff Buchanan

Here's the problem for me with Freeze and Ol' Miss .........

Taking cover by feigning, "it's for the children." That's pretty much what Freeze has been saying along the way: Football players are like family. When your kid makes a mistake you don't run from it you try to deal with it, correct the mistakes and move forward.

It's a similar line that Nebraska's Tom Osborne took with Lawrence Phillips. There are plenty of other examples over the years of this kind of reasoning shaping inappropriate outcomes IMO. The numbers of these occurrences, the ones we know about, is growing. And, since were in this thread, the DA in Alabama that declined to prosecute Cam Robinson and Lawrence Jones is just as full of it as the other's who mouth this kind of BS:

"I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning," district attorney Jerry Jones.

When authorities, parents or, in this case, the courts, abandon their responsibility to hold those in their charge accountable and demonstrate there are consequences for bad or criminal conduct by imposing meaningful punishments, they FAIL. It sickens me. It also goes a long way in explaining a good deal of the outrageously bad behavior and unlawful conduct of people in our country.
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #55
Wild Hoss

Quote:
Harlan, KY is where Raylan Givens dispenses his justice.
Fuckin' A...AA.

Wild Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:24 AM   #56
THE_WIZARD_

Quote:
I was hoping someone would hit that softball.
THE_WIZARD_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #57
Ghengis Jon

Howabout Mississippi State and Jeff Simmons? Love the rationale, if we don't take him, someone else in the SEC will.
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #58
The Oracle

I feel like that's not the first time I've heard that from someone down there. Maybe it was him.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #59
AlabamAlum

Re: Simmons

My opinion isn't popular with the law and order folks: I think they deserve another chance. If their legal issues are settled, or are non felonies, and it's not an issue that would get an academic schollie or regular student suspended from (or kept from enrolling) then play ball. Right or wrong, this kid is facing a misdemeanor charge.

I have a number of degrees and had some form of academic scholarship in all of them. As an undergrad, I got in trouble a couple of times, Once for a fight, once for a public intox. No one knew, no one cared, back at school (As an aside, The publc intox -which was eventually dropped- was pretty awesome. Myself and four friends were at a place called Jamaica Joe's in Ft. Walton Beach. Nice bar/restaurant with a faux brook that ran through the place and little pedestrian bridges that crossed over it. People threw change into the water like it was a wishing well. We ran out of beer money and waded into the water to get change for more beer. The cops did not find it or our unwillingness to abate our quest for cash amusing. In the least. I was thrown. Literally. Out of the place before being checked into Drunk Tank City).

Anyway, the idea that ballplayers are held to a higher standard than the student body and the academic scholarship super geniuses like me seems... manufactured. And if I had been kicked out as an undergrad, I would not have become the extraordinary gentleman that you all look up to and secretly envy.

As always, your mileage may vary, and I have had this convo too many times (hello, DSL!) to get into it again over a kid at a rival school, but just know, if you disagree with me, you are wrong. Horribly, woefully, and pitiably wrong. Wrong with a capital R.
Old July 13th, 2016, 04:42 AM   #60
Ghengis Jon

Heh. I also have no problem with second chances, if there is the possiblility of regret and reform. Only four months have passed. Other than an internal 'punishment', what has Simmons done to address his actions? The video of the assault, roughly 30 seconds in length, shows him (a D lineman fer gosh sakes) punching MORE THAN A DOZEN TIMES a woman who is down. If she had a knife or gun and tried to harm him, okay, she got what she deserved, but thats not the case (to my understanding). But because he's a five star recruit he gets a pass?

Perhaps in cases like this, D1 participation should be curbed. There's alot of outstanding universities with football programs in D2 or D3.