DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old July 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #41
Mike

Yeah, no kidding. I actually think Michigan would get more national cred for beating Arky, especially on the road, than ND. Again.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #42
AlabamAlum

The Hogs are a middle tier SEC team. You win, people shrug their shoulders and offer you a tepid "congrats." You lose and you hear "SEC, BABY!"

Notre Dame is a national brand. The game will be huge. Gameday guaranteed.
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #43
Mike

I guess I'm just tired of playing ND at the expense of any other big time OOC game.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #44
AlabamAlum

Beat their brains in and the decision won't vex you further.
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #45
WM Wolverine

2 on, 2 off okay for me. M needs to play other major programs in the south; Oklahoma, Florida, UCLA, Texas like they've set up.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #46
SeattleLionsFan

I miss the days when teams would play competitive OOC schedules. How many cream puffs do teams need. It would be nice if the playoff committee started penalizing teams for playing bad teams like they do in ball.
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #47
THE_WIZARD_

Nebraska OOC schedules from 1977 - 1999. Things started to get weaker around 1989...but look at 1981...brutal...

1977 - Washington State, Alabama, Baylor, Indiana
1978 - Alabama, Cal, Hawaii, Indiana
1979 - Utah State, Iowa, Penn State, New Mexico State
1980 - Utah, Iowa, Penn State, Florida State
1981 - Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, Auburn
1982 - Iowa, New Mexico State, Penn State, Auburn
1983 - Penn State, Wyoming, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse
1984 - Wyoming, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse
1985 - Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, New Mexico
1986 - Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, South Carolina
1987 - Utah State, UCLA, Arizona State, South Carolina
1988 - Texas A&M, Utah State, UCLA, Arizona State, UNLV
1989 - Northern Illinois, Utah, Minnesota, Oregon State
1990 - Baylor, Northern Illinois, Minnesota, Oregon State
1991 - Utah State, Colorado State, Washington, Arizona State
1992 - Utah, Middle Tenn State, Washington, Arizona State
1993 - North Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA, Colorado State
1994 - West Virginia, Texas Tech, UCLA, Pacific, Wyoming
1995 - Michigan State, Arizona State, Pacific, Washington State
1996 - Michigan State, Arizona State, Colorado State
1997 - Akron, Central Florida, Washington
1998 - La. Tech, UAB, Cal, Washington
1999 - Iowa, Cal, So. Miss
THE_WIZARD_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #48
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM Wolverine View Post
With HARBAUGH! they haven't had trouble selling season tickets.
That's true but the fans should still be rewarded for buying every year. Also, a lot of people to try to resell for some games and this makes for a feast or famine scenario.
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #49
Hannibal

Poor Brian Kelly is 1-3. With games coming up against Stanford, NC State, Miami, USC, Virginia Tech, and Navy, 5-7 is not out of the question.
Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #50
The Oracle

Neither is 5-1 in that stretch.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #51
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Neither is 5-1 in that stretch.
Unless their new DC is a magician, 5-1 is highly unlikely.
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:03 PM   #52
JRB

I think Stanford and Miami beat them. Before the season started, I didn't think VT had a chance to win in South Bend, but the VT team that's played the last two games definitely does.
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #53
Cody_Russell

ND's defense might use a different approach. CHANGE!
Greg Hudson is the new ND Defensive coordinator. He was D-Cord for 3 years (2013-2015) at Purdue under my main man Darrell Hazzel.
I can attest that both Purdue's defense and talent were terrible under Greg Hudson. It's not entirely Hudson's fault however.
Hudson's style at Purdue was a conservative, 4 man rush, make your opponent be patient type of defense. ... However, at Purdue it didn't quite work. Think Rod Marinelli's 2008 0-16 Detroit Lions defense.

VanGorder was all about the scheme and crazy zone blitzes. Hudson is not.
If you don't have talent, it probably won't matter. But at least it's CHANGE.
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #54
Jeff Buchanan

ND has the talent on defense. From what I'm reading, VanGorder was not well liked by the players. A chemistry thing and Kelley even alluded to that. VanGorder was a Charlie Wise kind of guy ...... we have a schematic advantage. Neither of them could teach players how to implement the scheme that produces such advantage it seems.

On Les: Brian had a great couple of links to different takes on Miles. Clearly, he seemed to coach to win the game in the closing minutes or seconds even, chaotically, content to slug it out then do something whackey to steal the win. Cam Cameron was a perfect fit for Miles' game strategy. That's exactly why he's gone too.

Miles was a great part of CFB, his Mad Hatter gig and all that. Funny but serious at the same time. I think his time as a CFB coach is probably done and that's a bit sad but his football thinking in the modern age is out-dated, I'd say. Leaving the outcome to the final minutes of the game is inviting disaster and he invited it and lost. Brian pointed out that at the two times it appeared M might be courting Miles, Brian explains it became his mission to tell people why Miles was NOT a good hire. He was right and right becasue of Les's penchant to play LLLLLoyd Ball. Pour it on is in vogue. Thank God for HARBAUGH!!! and his score points and win with cruelty mentality. Les can replace Mack Brown on TV and none to soon, IMO. Just stop coloring your hair, Les, that's my advice to you if you happen to get on TV and you will, I'm certain of that. After all Hoke did it. So can you.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #55
WingsFan

Brian Kelly wants to turn purple on the sidelines

Brian Kelly indicated that perhaps his more national-television-friendly camera face might need some tweaking, as will the defense that will be installed this week with his guidance. When he talks about the greater need to inject passion and high energy into the team’s current malaise, he includes himself.

“I think I've been a little too … maybe not as demonstrative,” Kelly said. “I think I've got to be more fiery on the sidelines, quite frankly. So I'm going to try to turn it up a little bit on the sidelines, because that's who I am.

‘I've been hands off a little bit. I just need to be who I am, and not be as hands off, and I've got to be more involved.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:36 PM   #56
WingsFan

CBS Sports

The voices of Notre Dame fans calling for Brian Kelly's ousting have only grown louder with the passing weeks, as an Irish team that began the season ranked in the top 10 with College Football Playoff aspirations has sputtered to a 2-5 start, but there's only one voice that matters, and it's singing a different tune.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick didn't just throw his support behind his coach, but he straight up said Kelly would be back next season. "Brian will lead this team out of the tunnel opening day next year," Swarbrick told ESPN.com's Matt Fortuna.

Of course, as we've seen roughly a thousand times over the years, plenty of athletic directors have publicly voiced support for their coach only to cut bait a few weeks later, but I honestly don't believe that will be the case for Brian Kelly.
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:46 PM   #57
Jeff Buchanan

Swarbrick is a giant liar. Not that I think Kelley will get fired but the ND Alumni Association and the big dollar doners have some sway.

I think the biggest reason for not firing him is that they just paid Weis millions to sit on his fat ass for three years. Don't think it makes any financial sense at all for ND to repeat that idiocy.
Old October 21st, 2016, 05:17 PM   #58
UMStan White

A coup;e of years ago Charlie Weiss, while coaching Kansas was the highest paid coach on ND's payroll. And to think Kevin White gave him that contract immediately after losing to USC in the Reggie Bush push game.
UMStan White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 21st, 2016, 05:40 PM   #59
WingsFan

The Bush-Push was the Charlie Weis high water mark, not to be confused with getting allegedly "slapped in the face" on the sideline during the night game vs Sparty in EL
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #60
Hannibal

Did anyone watch the ND-Navy game yesterday?

Want to know why I hate playing Air Force and Navy?

Notre Dame had six possessions yesterday in the entire game. Six!