DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:57 AM   #21
lineygoblue

Its not a "bad" move, but I just think its a better move for ND than it is for Michigan. I am tired of seeing our athletic department cave in to those guys.
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #22
lineygoblue

Adding ND creates an interesting schedule quirk, according to Warde Manuel.

Michigan will go to ND on Sept 1 2018, but ND will come to Ann Arbor on OCTOBER 26 2019. ND in the middle of Big Ten play.

Near the end of the article ..

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...s_notre_d.html
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #23
Mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan View Post
Though I think its good for college football, this is the first time I'm disappointed since the Harbaugh hire and the entire the athletic department leadership team (besides no night games). I guess the leprechauns dictate to us, not the other way around.
I pretty much agree with this sentiment. We should have honored our commitment to Arkansas. If Arkansas had cancelled to play some other team we all would be bitching and calling the SEC all kinds of vile names which, by the way, they deserve. Other than winning against teams in the B10, I'm of the opinion that the measuring stick nationally for UM is versus the SEC and not ND. M's football program would not have been crushed if the ND series has been pushed back. Also, agree that ND should have paid the 2 million to Arkansas and that scheduling ND, MSU, and OSU as away games in the same year is not the result of clear thinking by the athletic department. In this instance, monkey on a string is what comes to mind.
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #24
Cody_Russell

I wish Michigan could play Jeremy Gallon in this 2018 game...
Let's get Gallon 300+ receiving yards vs ND. He did it vs IU.... AND had like 4 TDs vs ND.

What a beast of a WR in 2013. Gallon is playing Arena Football today FYI.

Random: IU fans must not like hearing the name Jeremy Gallon or Jehu Chesson. Haunts them.
Cody_Russell is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #25
Mike

IU has fans?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #26
jaadam4

I didn't even know they had a football team.
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #27
SeattleLionsFan

They don't. *bah-dum-bum*
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #28
*JD*

I'm happy that the team that's been Michigan's #2 rival for the bulk of my lifetime is back in the mix. I do think it's a shame that we start off at their place when we play the other 2 rivals on the road the same year. This could've been something to balance out things for season ticket holders but they blew it.
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #29
WM Wolverine

With HARBAUGH! they haven't had trouble selling season tickets.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:48 PM   #30
Whitley

More thawing of relations between the B1G and Notre Dame (they have joined the B1G Hockey). Nothing is going to happen for years but Notre Dame would be a huge boon to the B1G if they ever joined.

Glad to see the series is back.
Old July 9th, 2016, 11:00 PM   #31
WM Wolverine

I guess I saw it as giving them what they want without joining the B1G. ND needs to play 'national' games to sustain being a 'national' program, games vs USC, Texas, Stanford, M, Ohio State help them do this.

In the B1G, they wouldn't play in Texas, California or the northeast often enough to be a national program. They take pride in their silly independence but it's important to sustain a national following.
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #32
Whitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM Wolverine View Post
I guess I saw it as giving them what they want without joining the B1G. ND needs to play 'national' games to sustain being a 'national' program, games vs USC, Texas, Stanford, M, Ohio State help them do this.

In the B1G, they wouldn't play in Texas, California or the northeast often enough to be a national program. They take pride in their silly independence but it's important to sustain a national following.
Actually, I could see them as an associate member say 8 games against the conference that would leave them with 4 OOC games that would allow them to take care of the main rivalries (USC, Stanford, Navy and another one)

A typical year you could have ND against 2-3 of UM/MSU/OSU and Penn State and 1-2 against IU/Rutgers/Maryland

And then 4 against the West with 1-2 every year against Iowa/Wisconsin/Nebraska and 2-3 against Northwestern/Purdue/IU/Illinois

So in a typical year ND could have a schedule like this

(Random Rivalry)
Michigan
Michigan State
Navy
Purdue
Rutgers
Northwestern
Stanford
Wisconsin
Ohio State/Penn State
Nebraska
USC

I don't know that looks like a nation schedule to me (it also looks like a very hard one as well)
Old July 10th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #33
WM Wolverine

B1G won't allow an associate football member, Notre Dame's value is their football program and B1G would require Notre Dame home games to be B1G games. ND playing a full B1G schedule won't allow them to schedule their 'national' programs in California and where a lot of their fans are in the northeast.
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #34
Whitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM Wolverine View Post
B1G won't allow an associate football member, Notre Dame's value is their football program and B1G would require Notre Dame home games to be B1G games. ND playing a full B1G schedule won't allow them to schedule their 'national' programs in California and where a lot of their fans are in the northeast.
So they join the B1G 9 games--leaves three OOC (USC, Stanford takes care of CA). Navy is an East Coast game.

Depending which division ND was in they could have at least one game in the East Coast (Penn State/Rutgers) with BIG. Ohio State and Michigan have national cache.
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #35
Mike

ND will never do it and if they played that schedule, it would be the most difficult in the country every season.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #36
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamAlum View Post
In the end, Notre Dame is a bigger name. This will be a huge national game. A home and home with Arkie isn't as valuable, PR wise.

Ideally, you keep Arkie AND add ND, but money has to be made, and you can't fill your non-cons with home and homes.

Good move by M.

I think you misspelled "ND told Michigan they wanted the game"...

Last edited by entropy; July 11th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #37
Hannibal

Replacing Arkansas with ND -- bleh.
Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #38
lineygoblue

I think Ent nailed it.

ND wanted to start scheduling Michigan again, and once again Michigan kowtowed to ND's demands.
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #39
AlabamAlum

Notre Dame is more prestigious and will be viewed as a better win for M even though they are easier to beat than Arkansas. This was a no-brainer.
Old July 11th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #40
lineygoblue

You got the no-brainer part right