DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old April 21st, 2016, 04:26 PM   #21
lineygoblue

... and a little gasoline on the fire ...
Old April 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM   #22
Prime2

Sorry Liney, emailed in haste. Still damn unfortunate that has come to this.

Look forward to your visit, a few new restaurants on SoBe will knock your socks off.
Old April 24th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #23
lineygoblue

Time for the Softball and Baseball updates:

The #2 ranked Lady Wolverines continued their winning ways on the Softball field this weekend by sweeping the Maryland Terrapins in a 3 game series at the Wilpon Complex in Ann Arbor. Michigan won Friday's game 9-1 in five innings, followed by a 16-0 shellacking on Saturday. They closed out the series with a 8-0 victory today. The Lady Wolverines will host Central Michigan on Wednesday, before heading out to State College PA for a 3 game weekend series with the Nittany Lions next weekend.

The Men's Baseball team took 2 out of 3 at Iowa City vs the Iowa Hawkeyes in a weekend series. Michigan won on Friday by a score of 8-4, before winning a slugfest on Saturday, 12-9. The Wolverines dropped the 3rd game of the series today by a score of 8-3. Michigan has won 7 of their last 9 games, and they stand at 28-10 overall, and 8-3 in conference play. The Wolverines return home next weekend for a 3 game showdown with the MSU Spartans.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:42 PM   #24
lineygoblue

Over the weekend ..

The #2 ranked Women's Softball Team swept a 3 game series against the Nittany Lions in State College, PA. They won Friday's contest by a score of 4-2, before winning both ends of a double header by twin "mercy" rule scores of 12-0, and 13-3 on Saturday. Saturday's games were played as a double header due to an adverse weather report for Sunday. The Lady Wolverines return to Ann Arbor this weekend for a 3 game series with Rutgers. If you don't already have a ticket, don't plan on going, because the entire 3 game set is completely SOLD OUT. No seats available. The Wolverines continue their record-setting ways in attendance. The series against Rutgers will close out the Wolverines regular season slate. Michigan can clinch the top seed in the Big Ten Tournament by sweeping the Scarlet Knights this weekend.
The Big Ten Tournament will take place in State College PA on May 13-14.

Meanwhile the Men's Baseball team didn't fare so well against the MSU Spartans. Michigan started the weekend off well by beating the Spartans on Friday in extra innings 4-3. However, they lost on Saturday in East Lansing by a score of 7-6, and then lost the rubber game of the series on Sunday back in Ann Arbor by a score of 7-4. Today, (Tuesday) the Wolverines defeated Eastern Michigan by a score of 12-4.
The Wolverines will also play the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at the Wilpon Complex this weekend in a 3 game series. This will be the final home stand for the team this season. They will finish the regular season with road trips to Columbus OH, and then to Champaign Illinois, before hopefully, competing in the Big Ten Tournament, to be held in Omaha Nebraska.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #25
lineygoblue

In the "home run hitting" contest yesterday at Alumni Field, former Michigan QB Rick Leach beat Harbaugh 1-0. Leach hit his home run in the first of three five-pitch "innings" between the two former Wolverine QB's, while Harbaugh was unable to reach the seats in his turns at the plate. The home run contest was part of the 7th Annual Softball Academy hosted by Coach Carol Hutchins, and the Softball team.

Over $151,000 was raised for breast cancer research during the 2 day event.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #26
hack

1-0? Well, I guess I'm looking forward to next year's bunt-the-runner-over-to-second contest.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #27
Mike

LOL! It shall be riveting.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #28
lineygoblue

The Women's Softball team clinched its 9th Big Ten Championship in a row today, by defeating Rutgers 11-1. With their 20-2 Big Ten record, the Wolverines clinched their ninth straight -- and 19th overall -- Big Ten title; U-M captured the regular-season crown outright. Michigan posted 12 hits, including three home runs and four doubles. Sierra Romero and Faith Canfield both hit home runs for the Wolverines. Senior Sara Dreisinga (20-0) was tough from the circle, scattering three hits and a walk while striking out six through five innings. Michigan wraps up the regular season with the final game of the three game series with Rutgers on Sunday at Alumni Field. It will be Senior day, and Michigan will be honoring 7 departing seniors. Michigan also clinched the #1 seed in the upcoming Big Ten Tournament, to be held on Friday and Saturday at State College, PA.

Meanwhile, the Men's Baseball Team was also playing Rutgers this weekend at the Wilpon Complex. The Wolverines won Friday night by a score of 14-1, and continued their winning ways on Saturday, by defeating the Scarlet Knights by a score of 13-1. The #22 ranked Wolverines conclude the three game set with Rutgers on Sunday with a game at 12:00 pm. Michigan will continue their schedule with a game at Mt. Pleasant MI on Wednesday against Central Michigan, before heading to Columbus OH for a 3 game weekend set beginning on Friday with OSU. Michigan currently sits in 3rd place in the Big Ten with six conference games remaining.
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #29
Mackenzie

Michigan Girls Softball tonight on B10 Network at 8pm. Michigan vs Wisconsin or Indiana.
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #30
lineygoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
Michigan Girls Softball tonight on B10 Network at 8pm. Michigan vs Wisconsin or Indiana.
They will play Indiana at 8:00 pm. The Hoosiers beat Wisconsin in the final game of the opening round on Thursday.
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #31
Mackenzie

Michigan mercy rules Indian 10-0. Play Penn State tomorrow at 3:30 pm on B10 Network (semi-final).
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 15th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #32
UMStan White

UM loses Big Ten tourney 4-3 to Minn in 10 on missed tag at the plate
UMStan White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #33
lineygoblue

Yeah, that's one bad thing about a single elimination tournament. One bad game puts you out the door. Minnesota had a very good pitcher. Not overpowering, but she got Michigan to swing at a lot of bad pitches. Committing four defensive errors didn't help much either.

Even with the loss, Michigan's RPI of #2 will still get them an At Large NCAA bid, and they'll definitely host a regional in Ann Arbor. Minnesota will probably gain a home regional as well, with a couple easier opponents than they would have with a loss.

Presuming Michigan wins its own regional, and they should, the Super Regional is where this loss could hurt them a bit. They'll likely end up with a bit tougher matchup than before.

Even #1 ranked Florida lost in the SEC tournament. So, maybe that will help negate the effects of Michigan's loss as well.

Pairings to be announced today.

Last edited by lineygoblue; May 15th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
lineygoblue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 15th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #34
lineygoblue

Michigan Softball received the #2 overall NCAA seeding and will host their own regional beginning on Friday. They will play Valparaiso in the 2nd game of the evening after Miami of Ohio squares off against Notre Dame. The winners play on Saturday for the regional crown.

Should Michigan win the regional, they will host a Super Regional against the winner of the Missouri Regional the following weekend.
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #35
Rocky Bleier

I don't watch them all that closely, but it looks to me like last year's team was better.
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #36
lineygoblue

Although the stats probably don't support my view, I think the pitching last year was better than this year. Megan Betsa has walked a lot of batters this year, and you can trace every Michigan loss to the number of walks.

They never should have lost to Minnesota, but the walks, combined with 4 errors gave the Goofers too many opportunities to overcome.

Megan Betsa can be really, really good at times. When she's on her game, she can get almost any batter in the country out. But when she struggles, the whole team struggles. Personally, I like Sara Dreisingea, who is the Senior pitcher on the team, and is undefeated. She's not a strikeout pitcher, but she keeps the ball down, and gets a lot of ground-outs. Hutch seems to prefer Betsa in crunch time though.

Michigan should handle its own regional. ND could prove difficult, but being in A2 with good weather, and a big supportive crowd (likely a sellout) they should prevail.

The Super Regional is going to be a bit tougher.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:45 PM   #37
Jeff Buchanan

Lady's Soft Ball just put ND away to take the Regionals, 6-2. Beating ND in any sport is good. M plays Missouri next.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:49 PM   #38
lineygoblue

Yep, Jeff beat me to it.

The Softball team won its own regional today by defeating Notre Dame 6-2. Michigan advances to the NCAA Super Regional which will also be held in Ann Arbor, and will face the Missouri Tigers.

Michigan defeated Valparaiso on Friday in the first round, and then followed that up with a win over Miami of Ohio on Saturday. Those two wins earned Michigan an automatic berth in the Championship game which was held today.

Notre Dame lost to Miami of Ohio on Friday, and had to fight its way back into the Championship game by beating both Valpo and Miami of Ohio on Saturday.

Pitcher Megan Betsa won all three games in the circle for Michigan for the tournament.

The road gets a bit tougher next week as the Missouri Tigers will come to Ann Arbor for a best of three series in the NCAA Super Regional. The Tigers are well known for their offensive prowess and will be a stiff test for the #2 seeded Wolverines. If the Wolverines can prevail in the Supers, they will return to Oklahoma City for the World Series, for the 2nd year in a row.

The Men's Baseball team finished the regular season in 4th place, and have qualified for the Big Ten Tournament, which will be held in Omaha, Nebraska. Michigan will need its very best effort, to gain the tournament title, and the NCAA automatic berth to the CWS. Without the tournament title, it is unlikely that the Wolverines will earn an at-large berth in the NCAA's.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 06:06 PM   #39
The Oracle

Great times!
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:28 AM   #40
entropy

Missouri softball beat UNL twice in Columbus. They score.. UNL pitching couldn't stop them. In the other 2 games (against BYU and Louisville) UNL held the opponents in check. I'm pretty sure Michigan has better pitching than the huskers, but you'll need to get the bats going too.