DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #21
Pasadena Blue

maybe so ... but I'll rest easier starting to see the 4*'s come into the fold.
we need to start reaping the benefits of Tatoogate
Pasadena Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #22
WM Wolverine

Kaleb Ringer OLB on commit watch, M the favorites. Him coming aboard would force James Ross, RJS & company to speed up their decision process. Yes, Javen Ringer is related (uncle) and is considered M's competition.

Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 29th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #23
WM Wolverine

Decision is set for April 15th but there is no competition for his services, he's a Wolverine.

Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 29th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #24
lineygoblue

I don't think we'll see too many benefits of tatoo-gate this year. If there will be any at all, it will be after OhNo is sanctioned by the NCAA. If they lose schollys or bowl appearances, then you could see an immediate impact. Any punishment less than that, and I don't think you'll see any benefits at all.

OhNo is still OhNo. Like it or not, there are delusional people out there who will snap up the opportunity to play for them, no matter what the circumstances. Even if they are perceived to be a "dirty" program, they're still going to get top athletes to come there and play.
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #25
SeanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineygoblue View Post
I don't think we'll see too many benefits of tatoo-gate this year. If there will be any at all, it will be after OhNo is sanctioned by the NCAA. If they lose schollys or bowl appearances, then you could see an immediate impact. Any punishment less than that, and I don't think you'll see any benefits at all.

OhNo is still OhNo. Like it or not, there are delusional people out there who will snap up the opportunity to play for them, no matter what the circumstances. Even if they are perceived to be a "dirty" program, they're still going to get top athletes to come there and play.
You could have written that entire statement just a few short months ago about USC, and it would have been exactly correct. Then, they went and pulled a great class with a lot of players because they could while appealing. IF, and that's a HUGE IF, OSU gets major sanctions, they'll do the same, and they'll chug right on recruiting, too.

I don't think we're going to see any USC slide for a few years, at least until the reduction hits home on the Jr/Sr classes. Same for OSU if it ends up that way.
SeanB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #26
hack

I think that depends on who is coaching. Tressel is one of the best coaches there is, and losing him could make a significant impact. Particularly given the need to reincorporate 5 players into the game plan midseason. A three or four-loss season combined with the uncertainty over the future could lead to tough times recruiting.

Last edited by hack; March 30th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #27
Hannibal

The USC thing is mind-boggling. It's as if these kids have absolutely no clue what's going on.
Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #28
WM Wolverine

And that Lane Kiffin is going to bust that program, how many violations did he commit in about a year at Tennessee? Now he's takes a program on probation.
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #29
Rocky Bleier

At USC you get well paid, your coach provides no discipline, and you "have" the best looking girls in the country. What's so hard to figure about that?
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:29 AM   #30
lineygoblue

One of the top HS QB's in the country will be visiting Michigan this week. Has some impressive numbers, but may have been an easier "get" for RRod, than Hoke. We shall see.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...about-Michigan
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #31
Hannibal

Sounds like Pike is probably our man.
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:20 PM   #32
lineygoblue

Zeke Pike could be the man at plenty of schools. Its going to be tough to get him to Ann Arbor.
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #33
WM Wolverine

Zeke Pike is seriously considering the Wolverines as is Maty Mauk.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #34
lineygoblue

I think I read over at Rivals that what could swing Pike to Michigan will be if he can do an official visit during football season. He's going to be busy with his own team, but if he can find a way to do it, it could help Michigan's chances in signing him.

What I like about Pike, (no pun intended) is his ability to run. He is a prototypical pro-set QB with his strong arm and size, but the kid can run too. He ran for something like 1200 yards last year, which is not bad, even for a RB.

Mauk would be a good get too, but he'll be hard to pry away from Notre Dame. His big brother played for Brian Kelly at Cincy, and Kelly has a good relationship with the Mauk family.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #35
SeanB

From more I've seen on Mauk, his HS team ran an even more up-tempo style of the spread and shred, if you can imagine that. Throwing the ball something like 80% of the time, frequently with an empty backfield. When running plays were actually called, it was just Mauk taking off with the ball.

Exciting? Yes. Can the kid throw? Absolutely! Is this were Borges/Michigan are headed? I doubt it. They know way more than I do, though, so it doesn't matter what I think!
SeanB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #36
WM Wolverine

They are recruiting the kids skills, not his system he played in high school. Mauk (a favorite of mine) is skilled and talented enough to run any system...

Pike maybe closer to what Borges/Hoke are looking from in a QB, a recruit who is in the discussion as one of the very best QB's in this recruiting class.
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #37
WM Wolverine

Ron Thompson TE/WR expected to announce in the next week, M should land him.
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #38
WM Wolverine

Joe Bolden LB (4*, Ohio) listing M as a favorite and could decide before the end of April...

This class could end up really good, especially if Zeke Pike QB is recruiting some national blue chip WR's/RB's as some allege he is doing. Stated already but there is a ton of talent at DE in the midwest; M should land talent at the positions it really needs young help at: QB, TE, OL, DL & LB.

Last edited by WM Wolverine; April 7th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #39
Hannibal

Gotta close the deal on Pike and at least one big time WR. Two would be nice, but we don't have much space unless there's some attrition.
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #40
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
At USC you get well paid, your coach provides no discipline, and you "have" the best looking girls in the country. What's so hard to figure about that?
yeah I was thinking the same thing rock.
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top