DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #41
lineygoblue

Ent: I think your perceptions of the teams you noted is pretty close. I am hoping against hope that when the Huskers go to Columbus the first time, that you'll be received with some amount of respect, but I have serious doubts. And, the first time you guys win in Columbus, don't plan on staying in town very long afterward. especially with that setup you have. You'll want to break that down, and get out of town.... fast. And ... you can expect to be pulled over by the Ohio Highway Patrol at least once during your journey. I'm totally serious.

I've never been to Penn State, but from what I've seen of their fans when they visit Ann Arbor, your perception of them is pretty accurate. Beating them is the only way to shut them up. It was so sweet when we beat them on Manningham's last second catch a few years ago. We had a bunch of PSU fans around us, and their silence was priceless.

Northwestern does have a bit of that "Duke-we're-smarter-than-you" arrogance to them, but for the most part, visits to Evanston are fairly pleasant. In fact, I'm planning to make that road trip later this year. My son is actually considering going there to get his masters degree. Again, beating them is the key. If you lose to them, they'll be just like any other obnoxious fan who has to rub it in. Put cotton in your ears, and leave town quickly.

When it comes to Michigan State, I think that Nebraska coming into the Big Ten scares the crap out of them. You guys busted them up a few times, and they remember that. They remember the days when the Huskers flat-out dominated college football, and they don't want to see their boys facing that kind of machine. I think your first couple of visits to East Lansing should be alright, because they won't hate you as much as they do us.

I've never been to Wisconsin, but listening to the people here who HAVE ventured to Madison, its not much better than Columbus. From what I understand, you have to run thru a gauntlet of fraternity houses to get to the stadium, and they make it tough on visiting fans. Plus the fact that they WANT to establish a rivalry with you guys, and things could get tough there.

Purdue and Indiana are two sides of the same coin. When they're good, they'll let you know it, and you'll receive the standard visiting fan treatment. But, for the most part, you'll have fairly uneventful visits to West Lafayette and Bloomington. When it comes to Bloomington, don't plan on leaving town quickly. They have absolutely no clue on how to direct traffic. And, there are no nearby expressways. Just plan on staying at your tailgate site for about 3-4 hours after the game. By then the traffic out of town should start moving. I'm serious.

Illinois hates Michigan about as bad as OhNo hates us, but we don't necessarily reciprocate that hatred. The Illini are more like a clone of MSU for us. A snotty nosed little brother who always wants to come along with you and your friends when you want to go out looking for chicks. I'm not sure how the Huskers will be received in Champaign. Maybe some of the guys here who have been there can shed some light on the subject.

Can't help much with Minnesota or Iowa, except for how their fans are when they come to Ann Arbor. Iowa fans are probably the classiest of all the visiting fans, in my opinion. They'll come visit your tailgate, and actually have pleasant conversation with you. If they win, they'll celebrate amongst themselves, then pack up and leave. Not much rubbing it in, or any other OhNo-like nastiness.

I am still looking forward to having the Huskers in the Big Ten. I think its a great addition, and I think there will be a lot of great football.
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #42
Jeff Buchanan

Sheeze ..... you must be retired.

I'm going to have to read your post tonight!!!!!
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #43
entropy

liney.. when I lived in Michigan, I had to travel to Cleveland a couple of times..... around 10. About every other time it seemed I got pulled over.. not for speeding, but "i thought your tags were expired, mind if I look around"? So I know what you're talking about.

As for MSU being scared, I actually think 2 years from now, MSU, Wisc and Iowa will have very bitter feeling towards nebraska. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect I'm not. It won't have to do with wins or losses, but rather TV. Unless contracts change in the future, I think Nebraska will be bumping some of there ABC games onto the BigTen network. Our pull and the games Nebraska is playing will be more valuable. I think they'll feel the results.
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #44
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
If OSU, PSU, and Michigan had been put in the same division, I wonder who would've gotten the Huskerz?

PSU. I think that was there gift for now expanding East.
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #45
lineygoblue

I'm still hoping that someone comes to their senses at the Big Ten offices, and goes with the geographical east/west alignment of the conference.

This crappy idea of a "Michigan v OhNo State rematch" in the B10 championship is for the birds. Forget about that, and move into a sensible geographic alignment. The CCG will be a good determiner of who is the BCS representative.
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #46
lineygoblue

LOL @ Jeff.

Never thought I'd be smacked for the length of a post, by the king of lengthy posts ...
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #47
WM Wolverine

You'll learn to hate and disrespect the Spartans quickly, certainly there fans and there coach too.
WM Wolverine is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #48
lineygoblue

MSU fans are really obnoxious when they beat us. I had to walk thru a gauntlet back to Doug's tailgate after the game at MSU 2 years ago. I was by myself, and was a fairly easy target.... given my girth, and attire. But, I sucked it up, kept my mouth shut, and just kept moving. I prefer to walk on the high road.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #49
Jeff Buchanan

Unless contracts change in the future, I think Nebraska will be bumping some of there ABC games onto the BigTen network.

I don't think that is as big of a deal as it once was with the advent of the BTN coverage. I never gave a shit who carried the games as long as they were on.

These days if you want to watch a FBS conference football game on TV, you're going to find it somewhere. Frankly, BTN coverage is vastly superior to ESPN/ABC and most football fans will pay for whatever cable or sat. pkg they need to get games they are interested in.

In the BTN footprint the game has changed for the traditional networks. if I were an ABC/ESPN sports exec, I'd bring back Game Plan but would telecast commercial free games that had a single box in the upper left hand corner with the score, time/time outs remaining, down and yard mark .... nothing else. I'd hire guys with radio experience to call the game, shit can any side line reporters doing interviews and I'd sell it as a subscription or single game. I know I'd pay for that kind of 70s style, clean broadcast with none of the BS fans watching on TV have to put up with on today's TV coverage.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #50
WM Wolverine

BTN coverage and presentation is generally very good, not many announcers on it that I dislike. If your in the B10 footprint, I agree it doesn't matter much as EVERY B10 game is televised (BTN has overflow channels for football/basketball games) and unlike the B12, you don't get bonus revenue for being on national tv.
WM Wolverine is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #51
entropy

ABC vs BTN is about status. People won't be talking nationally about the BTN game. It will be the ABC game that gets the buzz. It has nothing to do w/ ability to watch.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #52
entropy

Michigan State offensive lineman Arthur Ray Jr. has been cleared to practice this spring by the NCAA, four years after being diagnosed with leg cancer.

More...
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #53
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
ABC vs BTN is about status. People won't be talking nationally about the BTN game. It will be the ABC game that gets the buzz. It has nothing to do w/ ability to watch.

..... and MSU and the mid to bottom third of the B10 are of national interest?

Your national powers in the league Neb is joining are Michigan, PSU and osu. Those teams draw national interest and get the inside track on ABC but its not about "status," its about Neilson ratings. Even M in the grips of the Rodriguez disaster drew good ratings (mostly to watch DR).

Your underlying premise that Neb coming into the league may displace the second tier B10 teams from ABC is faulty in that none of these teams are national powers, they don't have a large national viewership, they don't ramp up Neilsons for ABC and their fans are regional. They don't care if the broadcast is on ABC or the BTN.
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #54
Rob F

"And the Land Grant rivalry is officially DEAD!!"

It was a phony, contrived rivalry from the start anyway

...says me!
Rob F is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #55
Hannibal

I wasn't aware that MSU lost their protected rivalry with Penn State. MSU really got screwed. Indiana's only rival is Purdue. Granted, MSU-PSU never caught on big time, but it was better than nothing for Sparty, who could really use a secondary rival. If they had done this East-West, MSU could still play Penn State every year in the last weekend, and Nebraska could play Penn State as a protected rival. I also noticed that Wisky will now be split up from Iowa and Minnehaha. Just one more reason why this non East-West "leaders and legends" alignment is stupid.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #56
hack

I am hoping against hope that when the Huskers go to Columbus the first time, that you'll be received with some amount of respect, but I have serious doubts.

We all are, liney. The desire to see Nebraska fans welcomed in Columbus with respect must surely burn within all of us.

Last edited by hack; April 8th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #57
Dr. Strangelove

That game probably meant more to MSU than it ever did to Penn State, who thought they deserved a better year-end game to compete with OSU-Michigan. I thought MSU-Purdue might've been better. Let Iowa have Indiana. I don't think the Hawkeyes would've cared which one they got.

Wisconsin/Iowa is honestly a bigger loss than MSU/PSU
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #58
lineygoblue

Quote:
The desire to see Nebraska fans welcomed in Columbus with respect must surely burn within all of us.
Sarcasm noted, Hack. But honestly, I do hope that Husker fans are treated well throughout the Big Ten this year. We aren't the SEC. This is the Big Ten, and I like to think that in addition to having the best college football in the land, that we also have the best fans. I just want to see the folks in Columbus do their part as well. But, I don't have a lot of hope for that, given their history.
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #59
Regelbuck

Quote:
Michigan and Wisconsin will not play at all between 2011-2014
Yet even more proof of Jim Delany's favortism towards the scUMers....
Regelbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #60
geo weidl

Quote:
Yet even more proof of Jim Delany's favortism towards the scUMers....
No favortism showed its face, when delany went to bat for osu and the tat5 to play in the suagar bowl.
geo weidl is offline   Reply With Quote Top