DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM   #21
entropy

Wonder who turned them in..
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #22
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Funny that the ESPN commercial featuring their mascot was run before the video of the story on the Ducks.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #23
lineygoblue

I have no sympathy for programs that walk a tightrope with NCAA rules. One gust of wind, and down they go. As my cartoon hero "Super Chicken" used to say, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it" ...
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #24
SeattleLionsFan

After the Auburn fiasco, why would any team not pay player's handlers? They are obviously not going to get in trouble. (at least if they are in teh SEC I guess)
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #25
entropy

not CF.. but BYU..

BYU hoops star suspended for sex acts

By Valerie Richardson
The Washington Times

8:42 p.m., Thursday, March 3, 2011

The same behavior that cost Brandon Davies the rest of his basketball season at Brigham Young University might have earned him an "A" at Northwestern.

BYU stunned the college hoops world Wednesday by suspending the 19-year-old sophomore for violating the school's honor code by having premarital sex with his girlfriend. The same week, Northwestern University drew headlines after a psychology class featured a live sex act.

While both episodes come as a shock, there's no question which report generated the most heat. The Davies suspension spilled Thursday from the sports section to the front page as commentators debate whether BYU was too tough on the teen for engaging in what would be regarded anywhere else as a youthful indiscretion at worst.

The loss of Mr. Davies comes as an enormous blow to the third-ranked Cougars' chances for a national championship. The 6-foot-9 forward was regarded as the second-best player on the team, behind only player of the year candidate Jimmer Fredette, in a season that was shaping up as the best in the school's history.

Even so, BYU boosters and students are for the most part standing behind the school's decision. An online poll taken by the Deseret (Utah) News found 81 percent of those responding in agreement with the university, with just 9 percent finding the punishment overly harsh.

David Livingston, a BYU freshman and basketball fan, said most students were crestfallen upon hearing the news, concluding that the school's chances of success had vanished, but that since then the campus has rallied.

"Within a day, students started theorizing about our options on the court. Many people commented on how they missed Davies and still loved him," Mr. Livingston said in an e-mail. "As of now the status on campus is an understanding and forgiving but slightly disappointed one."

At the same time, he said, he thought the suspension was fair.

"Everybody at BYU knows the rules and the suspension further reminds everybody on campus that nobody, even a staple of our extremely successful basketball team, is exempt from the rules," said Mr. Livingston.

The BYU Honor Code requires students to live "a chaste and virtuous life," but the punishment for transgressions is left up to the Honor Code Office. There's no double-standard for star athletes: Last year, football player Harvey Unga, the school's all-time leading rusher, withdrew from BYU after violating the honor code.

Others said the punishment was too severe. An online survey run by the New York Daily News on the Davies punishment found 59 percent of respondents said the issue was "too personal an issue to suspend him from the season," while 37 percent felt the suspension was appropriate.

ESPN basketball analyst Chris Broussard said he thought BYU's handling of the situation was "refreshing," given that most college basketball teams are out to win at any cost.

"They're saying, 'There are certain things more important than winning a game. We're trying to teach you how to be a man,' " Mr. Broussard said. "You know coming in these are the rules."

Cougars basketball coach Dave Rose said the main issue wasn't the behavior itself but the violation of the honor code.

"I think a lot of people try to judge this, whether this is right or this is wrong. That's not the issue," said Mr. Rose in a postgame statement in the Salt Lake Tribune. "It is a commitment that you make. And everybody makes the commitment."

The conduct code is apparently more lax at Northwestern University, where President Morton Schapiro called for an investigation Thursday after a psychology professor allowed a couple to engage in a sex act in front of more than 100 students.

"I feel it represented very poor judgment on the part of our faculty member," Mr. Schapiro said. "I simply do not believe this was appropriate, necessary or in keeping with Northwestern University's academic mission."

A guest lecturer performed a live sex act using a motorized device on his fiancee immediately following professor J. Michael Bailey's human sexuality class after saying the video depicting the act was not sufficiently realistic, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The lecturer, Jim Marcus, appeared before the class as part of a discussion on kink and fetishes. The performance took place after class, attendance was optional and the students repeatedly were warned about the explicit nature of what they were about to see.

Even so, Mr. Schapiro said he was "troubled and disappointed by what occurred."

Mr. Bailey released a statement Wednesday defending the demonstration, saying that, "the students find the events to be quite valuable, typically, because engaging real people in conversation provides useful examples and extensions of concepts students learn about in traditional ways."

Mr. Schapiro's statement reversed a university statement released Wednesday that defended Mr. Bailey's methods.

"The university supports the efforts of its faculty to further the advancement of knowledge," the earlier statement said.

• This story is based in part on wire service reports.

Copyright 2011 The Washington Times, LLC.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #26
entropy

double post

Last edited by entropy; March 4th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #27
entropy

The NCAA enforcement leads me to believe it is better to cheat than be clean. As long as you don't get too brash about it.. as long as you don't improve too quickly.. you'll be fine.

Hate to say it but until it's members demand more or are willing to walk away, it will only get worse.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #28
entropy

Did you guys see that UConn lost 1.8M going to the fiesta bowl? Most of that had to do with only selling something like 2-3K worth of tickets.

I know there were more Uconn fans present. Saw them on TV. But when tickets are more expensive going through the school than online or from the bowl, it is a problem. Schools probably need to address that with the bowls.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #29
entropy

SEC coaches defend oversigning..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...187357370.html
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #30
amaizenblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM Wolverine View Post
Info coming out on Oregon's situation, a couple huge recruits (5 stars) at the center of the investigation; Lache Seastruck RB & DeAnthony Thomas WR. Both kids that could've went anywhere they wanted and ended up at Oregon of all places...
Yeah...it's not like Oregon played for a national championship recently, or anything. Or have one of the most exciting offenses in the nation...oh wait...they did, and do...nevermind.

That said, I don't think much is going to come of that investigation, from what I've read. I mean, it was actually on their payroll. If there was really something shady, I'd think they would have tried to hide it a bit better.
amaizenblue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #31
WM Wolverine

Lache Seastruck was an '10 recruit btw.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #32
geo weidl

If you can't make a buck at this game, then there is a problem.

[ Worth every penny. Auburn and Oregon combined to lose nearly $1 million on their trip to the BCS Championship Game, mostly due to eating costs on unsold tickets: Auburn took a $781,825 hit from 2,456 unsold seats that it was obligated to buy from the game, and Oregon lost $555,575 this on a game that was reportedly one of the hottest tickets in sports history before kickoff. (Note that "unsold" doesn't mean they were available and people didn't buy them: The school gave them to certain bigwigs and other members of the traveling party.) If not for the ticket racket, both schools would have come out in the black despite traveling halfway across the continent with a cast of hundreds.]
geo weidl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #33
entropy

geo.. that's called boosters running the program. No reason to give that many tickets away.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #34
WM Wolverine

Bowl games are largely money losers other than the BCS bowls which 'support' many other bowls for conferences.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #35
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
geo.. that's called boosters running the program. No reason to give that many tickets away.
Would be interesting to see how many tickets say Michigan or osu gave away to boosters.

I'm not prepared to assume there is sleeze involved in sending a set of tickets to program "givers." Its part of the cost of doing business.

I'm sure there are folks around who know the answers to this with M being a public university. It would make a good story for a sports writer to do.

I do know that when the seat license fee was implemented, giving decreased because season ticket holders saw that fee as their annual donation to the program. I would not doubt that certain givers get free tickets (bowl) in return for their giving or get access to extra hot regular season tickets.

Bottom line: I feel pretty confident most programs give a lot of tickets away and the givewaways are a straightforward part of their program/donation development programs.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #36
Tony G

I wonder how the BYU kid got reported
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #37
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
Would be interesting to see how many tickets say Michigan or osu gave away to boosters.

I'm not prepared to assume there is sleeze involved in sending a set of tickets to program "givers." Its part of the cost of doing business.

I'm sure there are folks around who know the answers to this with M being a public university. It would make a good story for a sports writer to do.

I do know that when the seat license fee was implemented, giving decreased because season ticket holders saw that fee as their annual donation to the program. I would not doubt that certain givers get free tickets (bowl) in return for their giving or get access to extra hot regular season tickets.

Bottom line: I feel pretty confident most programs give a lot of tickets away and the givewaways are a straightforward part of their program/donation development programs.
I think schools give them away as well. I don't think supreme court justice Thomas has ever bought a ticket to a UNL game, but that is different than giving away the $$$'s/Numbers suggested in the article. That seems extreme to me. Maybe I'm naive.
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #38
entropy

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) Kirby Hocutt has been introduced as Texas Tech's new athletic director, promising to work toward elevating the school to national prominence.

More...

How bad must it be in Miami if the AD leaves the Canes for Lubbick...
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #39
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaizenblue View Post
Yeah...it's not like Oregon played for a national championship recently, or anything. Or have one of the most exciting offenses in the nation...oh wait...they did, and do...nevermind.

That said, I don't think much is going to come of that investigation, from what I've read. I mean, it was actually on their payroll. If there was really something shady, I'd think they would have tried to hide it a bit better.

I think were they will get nailed is did they charge or get paid the same amout to all the schools? If not, the NCAA could leverage that fact.
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #40
Jeff Buchanan

I think were they will get nailed ....

The Ducks wont. I don't see any Federal indictments coming down on this that would involve any of the third parties like they did in other cases involving college football programs most notably USC. That's how the NCAA nailed them on testimony provided by those either threatened with an indictment or did get indicted and gave testimony in a deal with prosecutors.

Cam Newton and Auburn are another pair that will skate for the same reason ..... I think the NCAA came close on this one when the banking scandal broke that peripherally involved Auburn figures like Pat Dye and bank card access for Auburn football players but, so far, nothing much has come of that. Who knows if it ever will.

If the Ducks play it smart, they will give the NCAA only the documents necessary to satisfy them, not let them snoop around the program by invitation (the only way the NCAA can get access) and let this die a slow death.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top