DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM   #1
entropy

Question The Rest of College Football

A place to discuss CFB other than Michigan.

During the season, it will serve as a commentary for games throughout CFB.

Last edited by lineygoblue; September 1st, 2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Now a protected thread
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
entropy

The herd was stating that some top ten program going to be outed today for major recruiting violations.

if true, I wonder who...
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
entropy

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...ootball_d.html

interesting
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM   #4
entropy

http://twitter.com/SPORTSbyBROOKS/st...61274719576065

Mult. ESPN sources have now verified to me Cowherd was referencing Oregon as school to be 'outed very soon for major recruiting violations'
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #5
lineygoblue

If true I wonder if Nike has enough money to bail them out?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM   #6
*JD*

It would be nice if Phil Knight was tied into it.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Chuck Mallory

Did anyone catch the story on CBS Evening News about criminals in college football? Pretty interesting. I guess SI did a big story on it too. To my surprise the Big 10 was at the top of the list with players that had a criminal record. They just used the teams that were in the top 25 at the start of the year however. Some interesting statistics they had up.
Chuck Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Chuck Mallory

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...html?tag=stack
Chuck Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #9
entropy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?eref=sihp%22
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #10
entropy

the rumored new Okie State helmet..

Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM   #11
entropy

According to Ekeler, a linebacker won’t amount to anything unless he laughs at his jokes.

“I kept a linebacker from playing for three games because he wouldn’t laugh at my jokes during a meeting,” Ekeler said about a former Nebraska player. “He just needed to figure it out. Now, the guy’s a linebacker for the New York Giants.”

LOL.. I'm sure the room was laughing. btw.. He is now coaching at Indiana.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM   #12
entropy

USA Today
LAST FOUR IN: Marquette, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Michigan
FIRST FOUR OUT: Memphis, Washington State, Clemson, Nebraska
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #13
entropy

nebraska has no tourny pull to help them in this case sadly, I'm not sure the Big12 would even fight for them.

in the end, UNL has only themsleves to blame. Can't lose to ISU and when you have Baylor beat, hit your freethrows to win.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #14
SeattleLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
in the end, UM has only themsleves to blame. Can't lose to IU and when you have Wisconsin beat, hit your freethrows to win.
LOL! No wonder you like the Huskers, they always try to copy Michigan.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #15
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
LOL! No wonder you like the Huskers, they always try to copy Michigan.

Nebraska leads, Michigan follows... BC was first, RR second. :wink:
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Regelbuck

Texas A&M’s 2012 class leads the nation with 14 recruits; Texas nabs five more
PUBLISHED Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 1:20 pm EST
Texas has owned February recruiting for several years, but now the Longhorns and Texas A&M are knocking each other around like they do on Saturday afternoons in the fall. It’s not surprising, considering the Aggies are coming off a 9-4 season and a win over their rivals—who finished 5-7 and didn’t go to a bowl.

The Aggies, who are not traditionally the hot starters in recruiting that their rivals are, already have a national-best 14 commitments. With the past three recruiting classes, they’ve only averaged two commitments before March 1, but they’re well on their way to a stellar class. In that same span, Texas has averaged 15 commitments by March 1—while averaging 22 signings overall.

“Happy couldn’t describe how I feel,” said Michael Richardson, a Scout.com three-star LB recruit out of DeSoto (Texas) who picked the Aggies on Feb. 18. “I know the coaches have picked the best talent, guys that are willing to work. It’s going to be fun.”

While Texas A&M holds the national lead, Texas is a close second with 12 commitments. The Longhorns landed five more 2012 football commitments over the weekend, following their second and final junior day. They landed West Brook (Beaumont, Texas) DE Caleb Bluiett, Humble (Texas) DT Paul Boyette, Harker Heights (Texas) OL Camrhon Hughes, Skyline (Dallas) LB Peter Jinkens and DeSoto (Texas) DB Bryson Echols.

“I’m real excited and I’m just glad it’s over now, because I can just focus on getting better,” Jinkens told Sporting News on Sunday after committing. “I didn’t go there knowing that (an offer was on the table). I got to personally talk to (Texas head coach) Mack Brown and he offered me. It was a great honor.”

So far, QB Connor Brewer of Scottsdale (Ariz.) and WR Thomas Johnson of Dallas are considered Texas’ top pickups, while WR Jaevon Richardson of Baytown (Texas) is arguably the Aggies’ top recruit.

The Aggies’ most recent pickup was a nice one. Late last week they landed Mike Matthews (6-foot-3, 250 pounds) out of Elkins (Fort Bend, Texas)—the third Matthews brother in a long line of standout offensive linemen who have picked the Aggies. Kevin Matthews played center for Texas A&M before going to the NFL, while 2010 Sporting News Top 100 member Jake Matthews started as a true freshman last fall for the Aggies at right tackle. They are the sons of former NFL player and current Tennessee Titans assistant coach Bruce Matthews.

RB excited about future with Tide
Remember having to wait for Christmas presents as a kid? Well just imagine being a high school football player who will have to endure one full season and 18 months before he gets to join his future teammates in college.

It’s excruciating—especially when that team you’re going to play for is being mentioned as a possible national title contender this fall, and you can’t play there yet because you’re still a junior in high school.

Welcome to the life of Kenyan Drake, a running back out of Powder Springs (Ga.) who committed to Alabama this month. For the record, he’s pulling his hair out in anticipation of starting his college career in September 2012.

“I think they will once again be pushing for a spot in the national championship,” Drake told Sporting News. “They lost some great players but they aren’t shy when it comes to getting everybody on the field so the others behind the starters are just as prepared to play in the SEC. … It really is tough to wait, but it also helps to know that I have a big prize I’m going after at the moment and that’s winning a state championship.”

He can’t wait to play for Nick Saban.

“He’s a great, respectable guy and he might seem intimidating in a sense but really I feel very comfortable when I speak with him,” Drake said. “That was a main reason why I chose Alabama.”

Quick hit
Texas and Texas A&M aren’t the only two programs that have been busy lately. Tennessee landed a nice running back over the weekend, thanks to its own version of junior day. Coach Derek Dooley landed his first 2012 commitment when Imani Cross, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound power back out of Gainesville (Ga.) picked the Volunteers, according to Rivals.com.

Most commitments
(BCS schools)

14: Texas A&M

12: Texas

9: Alabama

7: Miami

6: Florida State

5: Florida, LSU and Ohio State

4: BYU, USC

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-02-27/texas-ams-2012-class-leads-the-nation-with-14-recruits-texas-nabs-five-more#ixzz1FLvivQJS
Regelbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM   #17
SeattleLionsFan

I can think of alot of words to describe Saban but I dint think respectable would be among them.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM   #18
entropy

it is funny that a few weeks ago, there was an article about Texas' recruiting and how they need to better and that has been the problem lately. Maybe it just shows that locking in guys in February isn't the best approach... and maybe, just maybe, those rankings are very subjective. I mean, it's not like Universities are offering big money to these guys to do it for them...
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM   #19
WM Wolverine

Info coming out on Oregon's situation, a couple huge recruits (5 stars) at the center of the investigation; Lache Seastruck RB & DeAnthony Thomas WR. Both kids that could've went anywhere they wanted and ended up at Oregon of all places...

Dior Mathis CB played for one of the 7-on-7 teams that is run by a guy (Baron Flenory) who received close to 30k from Oregon...

Not a good time to be a Duck. This along with USC's situation is going to hurt the Pac 12 come time they negotiate their TV deal (expires after '11 I think)...

re: USC - Them taking 30+ recruits this year is really going to hurt them in the long run. This HUGE class is going to be followed by a couple of REALLY small (10 - 13 recruits) classes. When those really small classes ('12 & '13) are upperclassman ('15, '16) is when USC is really going to suffer the affects on the field. Lane Kiffin will be long gone by then.

Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 3rd, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #20
entropy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6179423