DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #41
lineygoblue

ohio state walks that NCAA rules tightrope so well, that they could exist pretty well in the SEC. At least from a recruiting standpoint, that is.

I lost any remaining respect for the vest after his assistants were caught spreading false information about Lloyd Carr. That, and for the "search" he ordered for the Michigan contingent when they arrived at Columbus in 2004. He lied then too, claiming he "knew nothing" about it. He never apologized either.

For such a great coach, there sure are a lot of things going on in his program that he "knows nothing" about.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #42
*JD*

I am going to steal a page from the Rolling Stones book and now refer to this team's school as

"Tattoo U".
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #43
*JD*

I may actually have to pitch that to a friend who runs a t-shirt biz in town.
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #44
Rob F

I'm just gonna wait and watch and enjoy the squirming of those hairless bucknuts. Sure, they possibly might wiggle out of this, but the hand-wringing, if nothing else, should be fun to take in.

Other than that, all I can do is hope that the wisp of smoke that just appeared will lead to the hellfire of evil that surrounds that sweater-vest wearing satan
Rob F is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #45
Hannibal

If an investigation turns up a violation that is one thousandth the size of the allegation, I wonder if the OSU fans in the house will feel that the writer is vindicated like they did with Michael Rosenberg's hit piece.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #46
WingsFan

7 p.m. press conference Tressel, AD Gene Smith and president Gordon Gee.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #47
hack

LOL, JD -- get that t-shirt right and I'm buying ten. Tressell's face in the same pose with the same tat pattern?
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #48
WingsFan

Quote:
I'm just gonna wait and watch and enjoy the squirming of those hairless bucknuts. Sure, they possibly might wiggle out of this, but the hand-wringing, if nothing else, should be fun to take in.

Depending on who you listen to, it could be big trouble or not, some are already calling it "TresselGate". Herbstreit said people are alarmed in Columbus at this point. I never though USC would get the hammer so you never know. Since 2000, Ohio State had reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations -- the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that provided documents to the newspaper through public-records requests.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #49
WM Wolverine

Apparently OSU receives so many potential violations, they can't look into all of them. Good defense.
WM Wolverine is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #50
stevemacie

As part of its self-report, the university has self-imposed the following sanctions: a public reprimand and apology; a two-game suspension; attendance at a compliance seminar; and a $250,000 fine.
stevemacie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #51
Regelbuck

for an email...meanwhile, Cam Newton comes on right afterwards..smiling and happy..Auburn is all good...still think we are like an SEC team?
Regelbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #52
Ghengis Jon

Lets see...Troy Smith...Maurice Clarrett...now Terrell Pryor et al. Sounds like YEARS long lack of institutional control. I think that the football program Death Penalty is order here.

osu...SMU...osu...SMU...
Ghengis Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #53
geo weidl

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State suspended football coach Jim Tressel for two games and fined him $250,000 for violating NCAA rules by failing to notify the school about information he received involving two players and questionable activities involving Buckeye memorabilia.
Tressel also will receive a public reprimand and must make a public apology.

http://college-football-blog.blogs.c.../view/24156338

What a joke!

Last edited by geo weidl; March 8th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
geo weidl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #54
Dr. Strangelove

These are just self-imposed penalties. The NCAA could always add on. But since the punishment is so fair and just, I hardly see why they'd feel the need.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #55
WM Wolverine

Wait and see if the NCAA pursues this.
WM Wolverine is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #56
Tslisher

Absolutely, Tressel LIED to NCAA officials about what he knew and when he knew it. Sounds like lack of institutional control to me. Anyone say forfeiture of last seasons games from April to December during the period that he decived the NCAA?

Not that it will stick to Tefflon Tressel, but we can hope! It will probably bounce off his sweatervest.
Tslisher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #57
Pasadena Blue

It's best for M that this linger on as long as possible. The uncertainty regarding possible penalties may be enough to sway over some recruits. We know how well other coaches have used RRod's mishaps to recruit against him. Only appropriate if it goes the other way.
Pasadena Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #58
Tslisher

Ohh, good point Blue... let it stretch into next season or more before bringing the hammer down.
Tslisher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #59
Ghengis Jon

"Wherever we end up at the end of the day, Jim Tressel is our football coach," Smith said. Ohio State president Gordon Gee echoed that sentiment. "This university is very committed to this coach," Gee said. "This university president is very committed to this coach."

Evidently, St Jim gets a free pass for anything. I heard Tressel was torturing puppies in the team weight room and lied about that too to the NCAA. Does the man have no soul?

Last edited by Ghengis Jon; March 8th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Ghengis Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #60
Dr. Strangelove

The Vest is cruel. Give Michigan just a glimmer of hope for the future, then dash those hopes brutally
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top