DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old March 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #41
entropy

CU 48
NU 43

9+ left in the 2nd.

Nebraska is turning the ball over like they want to play in the NIT.
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #42
entropy

wow.. last couple series for CU = Off Rebounds = pts. Nebraska is just a really bad road team. They're totally different at home when it comes to mental mistakes and hitting freethrows. 5-12 as of 4:14.

Score right now with 4 mins left.. 57-50

Not only is this game important for the NCAA tourny, but also the Big12. A nebraska loss puts them at #7 and means game KU's side of the bracket.

Last edited by entropy; March 5th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #43
entropy

Turnovers:

NU-14
CU-5

61-53 CU. seconds left.. Team did better than I thought this year, but disappointing how they played tonight.
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #44
entropy

LJS

Darius Antonides wasn't supposed to be here. Doctors told his mother not to name him. She did anyway.

Then they said he probably wouldn't walk. Yet there he was after a Husker football practice in October with a football in his hands, running. To the 15 ... the 10 ... the 5 ...

He's 9 years old. The things he has: Spider-Man sheets, a friend named Prince Amukamara and more Twitter followers than you.

He's so popular that some of the baddest dudes on the planet -- top-level mixed martial arts fighters -- send him autographs, clothes, messages of inspiration.

They do so because they know the truth: He's tougher than them. A fighter respects a fighter.

Eight days ago, Darius had eight seizures in a matter of hours. As he lay in his bed at Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center, his mother snapped a picture.

There was a little boy who'd been through hell, eyes half shut, hospital machines hooked to his body, bandages on his left hand.

But look closer. The picture will tell you something.

His right hand is free, and it's giving the camera a thumbs up.

Darius came into this world three months earlier than planned.

Born with a disorder known as periventricular leukomalacia (PVL), which causes seizures and cerebral palsy, he spent the first three months of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit.

On Christmas Eve 2001, Stephanie Hebard was told her child was not going to make it. Darius received his last rites three times. His lungs were not functioning. Doctors took him off the respirator.

And then, against all expectations, Darius started breathing.

Stephanie and her husband, Greg Antonides, didn't sleep that night. They assumed the phone would ring with the worst news. It never came.

When they showed up at the hospital in the morning, there was Darius.

"That's when I knew this child had a purpose," Stephanie says.

That's when she knew she had a fighter.

Others would have it easier, but Darius was going to play hard, love life, and be the kind of kid who colors SpongeBob with 15 different crayons even when every 9-year-old knows SpongeBob is yellow.

"You're a person, not a diagnosis," Mom tells him.

On the family refrigerator is a calendar of the past year. The dates with a red dot are the ones where Darius had a seizure, some of them coming in front of his classmates.

Ten months ago, Darius came home from school and asked his mother if the other kids made fun of him because of his seizures.

"People around the world will love you for who you are and I'll show you," Mom said.

She started Facebook and Twitter pages under the name Team Darius.

Within a week he had 100 Facebook friends from 12 different countries.

Soon, athletes were befriending him on Facebook or Twitter.

Boxers. MMA fighters. Huskers.

He keeps track of his friends on a sheet of paper on the living room wall. Amukamara, DeJon Gomes, Brandon Kinnie, D.J. Jones, Cameron Meredith, Yoshi Hardrick, Kody Spano, Jeremiah Sirles, and on it goes.

But you know what's even better than that? When there's a knock on your door and Amukamara and Gomes are standing on your porch ready to hang out.

That's pretty sure to make you the coolest kid in your third-grade class.

"Just a kid who lives every day like it's sunny outside," Amukamara says.

Mom was right. People love him for who he is.

"If you can do it then I can do it, if I can do it then you can do it too.

If you can do it then I can do it, if I can do it then you can do it too."

-- "Darius" by Coalition Fight Music

He's the owner of multiple nicknames. Some call him D-Man. Others prefer Little Warrior.

Darius kept saying "warrior" as he walked around the house after watching an MMA fight one day.

Not long after, fighters would send messages asking how the Little Warrior was doing.

Dana White, the president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has even called him on the phone. "You are the best little brother Ever!" reads the autographed picture from White.

The Little Warrior got to meet fighter Shane Carwin. And Joey Beltran made an entrance to one of his fights wearing a T-shirt that read: "Help Team Darius."

Then came the hip-hop song named after him by Coalition Fight Music.

The lyrics are about perseverance. On the tough days, Mom blasts the song from the speakers.

She's trying to raise money to start a "Team Darius" charity. It would be the first PVL charitable organization.

There's an "Expect a Miracle" sign in the entryway of their house.

Stephanie and Greg haven't been on a date since Darius was born. Almost all their money goes to keeping their child alive.

There are stains on the carpet in Darius' bedroom. The seizures put them there.

In the corner of the room are an oximeter device and apnea monitor, which shows what his heart and lungs are doing.

There are cameras in different rooms so Mom can watch Darius in case he has a seizure.

"I tell everyone it's like walking on the edge of a razor blade between being there when the seizure hits and not being there and giving him some independence," she says. "It's like a train wreck and he makes the most of it every day. Every day."

He reads at a sixth-grade level. He'd recognize his friends Prince and DeJon on sight, but the brain damage would hinder his ability to remember them if he just heard their names.

Yet he smiles more than most.

Those in the Husker camp were so impressed by Darius that they invited him to a closed practice the week of the Missouri game last fall.

When the practice was over, the equipment guys were rounding up the footballs, but Darius wasn't about to give up the one in his hands.

The kid who wasn't supposed to ever leave the hospital was taking off now, running from one end zone to the other, just another boy dreaming of scoring six for Big Red.

Mom smiles at the memory. That's D-Man, the Little Warrior who has more than 2,300 Twitter followers and occasionally plays Nintendo 64 with future first-round NFL draft picks.

She takes a picture of him each day before he goes to school. A couple days after Darius had eight seizures, she clicked the camera and found him smiling as usual.

"If it was me, I'd be rocking in a corner somewhere going, 'Leave me alone,'" she says. "He's like, 'School today. Gotta roll.' It takes a special kind of kid to have that kind of spirit."

You needn't look out the window. It's sunny outside. And if he can do it you can do it too.

Old March 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #45
entropy

Forcing his system is not Beck’s style

LINCOLN — Mark Mangino doesn’t know Nebraska’s offensive personnel. But he does know Tim Beck.

And one of Beck’s strengths, Mangino says, is working with what he has. The Huskers’ new offensive coordinator won’t force a system on his team that doesn’t fit the talent he has.

“I’ve talked to Tim off and on in the last couple months, and just talked philosophy,” said Mangino, the former Kansas head coach who had Beck on his Jayhawk staff from 2005 through 2007. “And I think Tim is going to put together what he knows best, and be smart enough to know he’s going to do the things on offense that the players at Nebraska can do.”

Things don’t always go well when an offensive coordinator tries to ram through a system upon taking over, particularly when his personnel is ill-fitted for it. Nebraska fans know that all too well after watching the transition to the West Coast offense under Bill Callahan in 2004.

Beck will get to where he wants eventually, Mangino said, but he will find ways to be successful along the way.

“Let me point something out that I think is extremely important: Tim is a very good teacher and a very good communicator,” Mangino said. “The offensive players at Nebraska will understand the expectations. Tim will clearly state those. And he will have a plan to reach those.”

Nebraska starts spring practice Saturday without three starting offensive linemen from a year ago, along with two receivers who combined for 186 career catches and a two-time 1,000-yard back. The offense returns a starting quarterback, but one who began last season much better than he finished it.

That’s the challenge ahead of Beck, and Paul Ressa said his friend and former colleague is eating it up.

“He’s got a gift at ‘personneling’ people and getting them in the right position for success,” said Ressa, the head coach at Newman Smith High in Carrollton, Texas. “I tell you, he’s a master of using his personnel.”

Ressa was one of the few staffers Beck kept when he became head coach at R.L. Turner High in Carrollton in 1999, fresh off a three-year stint at Missouri State.

Lacking the “biggest and best athletes,” Ressa said, Beck ran the flexbone offense and utilized the option. As his attack evolved, Beck went to more of a shotgun and more of a spread, but kept the option element.

“His roots are definitely in option and power football, but he is an offensive guy, so he’s going to throw the football,” Ressa said. “It’s going to be a combination of things.”

Ressa thought enough of Beck to follow him from R.L. Turner after three seasons to Mansfield Summit in Mansfield, Texas. Forget the fact that the new job involved driving 65 miles one way each day from his home in Frisco.

“There were plenty of times I had to spend the night, but it was definitely worth the price,” Ressa said. “I believe in him that much.”

Beck left Mansfield Summit after three seasons for Kansas, becoming the receivers coach for Mangino. He rose to passing game coordinator in 2007, working closely with offensive coordinator Ed Warinner on an attack that would set school records for passing offense, total offense and scoring offense during a 12-1 season.

“I liked Tim’s insight to the game and wanted to give him the opportunity to coach more than receivers,” Mangino said. “Tim’s not a shy guy when it comes to taking responsibility.

“Ed was the leader of the offense as the offensive coordinator, but he and Tim worked very well together. That’s why they’re both in very good positions now.”

Warinner has moved on to be offensive line coach at Notre Dame. Beck, starting his fourth year on Bo Pelini’s staff at NU, has just taken on his biggest job in coaching.

Together in 2007, starting from scratch, Warinner and Beck threw a lot on the board and then simplified the offense for quarterback Todd Reesing and his mates, Warriner said. Warinner called the plays from the press box, Beck signaled them in from the sideline.

The West Coast offense is built on 12 to 14 words per call and a quarterback who reads it off a wristband. Their offense was not.

“We weren’t big on wristbands,” Warinner said. “We kept the verbiage down.”

There were no audibles by Reesing. It was Warinner’s job to get KU in the right play. The passing game under Beck was very simple, Warinner said, including the way it was communicated.

It translated into high-speed football.

“We only had a few concepts,” Warriner said. “Only ran certain concepts against certain defenses.”

Beck, who has not been made available for interviews, talked about keeping things simple during a Feb. 22 radio interview on the Husker Sports Network. He talked about cutting into the philosophies, techniques and verbiage thrown at NU’s offensive players.

His plan: “We’re going to go where they’re not — and attack.”

“I just think you’ve got to be an attacking offense nowadays,” he said, “and constantly put pressure on defenses and put the gas pedal to the floor and go after them.”

If you study the Jayhawks’ offense from 2007, Mangino said, you’ll find Beck’s “fingerprints all over adjustments in the passing game and with the wide receivers.” Warinner said he could see little pieces of KU’s offense in the Nebraska system the past few years, and assumed they came from Beck.

But now the entire attack falls on Beck, including the pressure and scrutiny that used to be on the shoulders of former NU offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

“I think he’s going to do a great job,” Mangino said. “I think Bo hit it out of the park when he named Tim his offensive coordinator.

“Tim will get the attention of the offensive players with his no-nonsense approach, but still have a good relationship with the players. They’ll like playing for him.”

Mangino throws out all kinds of superlatives to describe Beck.

Tireless worker. Detail oriented. Outstanding teacher of schemes and fundamentals. Relentless recruiter.

And once the games start, Ressa said, fans will see another Beck strength — an innate ability to call a game and make adjustments.

“He’s going to find an answer for whatever the defense is doing,” Ressa said. “Give him a series, let him get a feel, then get him into some situation-type areas and, man, he’s going to call a good game.”

Ressa said Beck can make the adjustments from play to play or series to series, but he might be best at halftime. For the record, Nebraska did not score an offensive touchdown in the second half of any of its four losses last season.

“Don’t give the guy 10 minutes — after watching a team for 30 minutes — to tell a team what to do,” Ressa said. “He is one of the brightest and fastest coaches I have ever been around and met. He makes adjustments massively.”

World-Herald staff writer Dirk Chatelain contributed to this report.

Contact the writer:

402-444-1042, rich.kaipust@owh.com

twitter.com/RKaipustOWH
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #46
entropy

btw.. for the record, the Fat Man should be coaching again, at least as an OC. He did some pretty impressive things at KU with limited talent.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #47
entropy

Huskers end up winning two out of three against UCLA in baseball. Nice job
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #48
*JD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Since 1998, there have been 24 seasons combined for Nebraska and Michigan basketball. In only 1 of those 24 seasons has there been a NCAA tournament appearance.

that is bad..

So the Huskers are an O-fer? Where's Eric Piatkowski when you need him?
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #49
entropy

Tay Bender can run and he can throw, and that's precisely what Kansas State has in mind for the Lincoln Southwest quarterback.

Bender, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound junior, committed to Bill Snyder and the Wildcats on Sunday at the conclusion of his official visit to the campus.

"K-State has always been an interest of mine. Bill Snyder has such history and to me, he's another Tom Osborne," Bender said. "I got there and had a feeling in my heart that this is for me. The tour was great, the facilities were great. And talking to Bill Snyder was great. He felt like a father to me."

Bender rushed for 793 yards (6.2 yards per carry) and threw for 990 yards, completing 59 of 126 passes with seven touchdowns. Bender also kicked for the Silver Hawks, averaging 37 yards a punt and connecting on five field goals. He was named the all-city place-kicker.

"He's a dual-threat quarterback. There's not a negative about him at all," said Southwest coach Mark King. "He runs really well, he has a very strong arm, his grades are good, he's a leader. There's not a flaw that you see in his game or his character.

"He wanted to commit right now so he can focus 100 percent on the Silver Hawks next fall."

King said Bender's skills are well-suited to being a college quarterback.

"He's big and strong, so he breaks a lot of tackles. As tall as he is, he's got some pretty good wiggle to him," King said. "In the open field, he's not strictly a straight-ahead, speed guy. He has elusiveness."

Bender also had offers from Tulane and Ohio.

"The whole home thing wasn't a big issue to me. But thinking about it now, it is nice to be able to come home on some occasions, like birthdays," Bender said. "I am happy I chose something close to home so my parents can see me play more than once a year."

Bender, who wants to study to become a respiratory therapist, said he's excited to make the transition to college football.

"At Southwest, every running play is designed so the quarterback can run. I didn't really pick up reading the defenses until about halfway through last season," Bender said. "I learn something new every day, even during the offseason. Playing quarterback is a difficult thing. And learning a whole new offense will take a lot of time."
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #50
entropy

Peeking over the fence at the Leaders Division

By Brian Christopherson

Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Within a week, another Husker spring football season begins. Bo Pelini will get it rolling when he talks to the media Tuesday.

But while we wait, we're getting to know Nebraska's new neighbors.

On Sunday we took the microscope to the teams joining the Huskers in the Legends Division.

This time we peek our head over the fence at the Leaders Division, where you'll find a man in a sweater vest and 84-year-old Joe Pa getting ready for yet another football grind.

LEADERS DIVISION

ILLINOIS

Head coach: Ron Zook (7th year, 28-45)

2010 record: 7-6 (4-4 in Big Ten)

Starts practice: March 29

Spring game: April 23

A briefing: The good news for Illinois is that it enters this spring with stability at quarterback under the direction of Nathan Scheelhasse. He threw for more than 1,800 yards and ran for almost 900. His passing production will need to improve, but he should only get better with experience. But the Illini need to find an answer at running back to replace Mikel Leshoure. Can 235-pound bruiser back Jason Ford carry the load? The defense returns three starters in the secondary. Safety Trulon Henry is the name to know back there. But the Illini lose star linebacker Martez Williams and have some big holes to fill on the defensive line.

Parting question: How does Illinois step up to replace standout defensive tackle Corey Liguet? He's off to the NFL and likely a high-round draft pick. The Illini also lose defensive end Clay Nurse. Last in the Big Ten in sacks just two years ago, Illinois hopes to not find itself lacking a pass rush again.

INDIANA

Head coach: Kevin Wilson (1st year)

2010 record: 5-7 (1-7 in Big Ten)

Starts practice: March 8

Spring game: April 16 (final practice is April 19)

A briefing: It's a fresh start at Indiana. Wilson gets his chance as a head coach after being the coordinator behind Oklahoma's fast-paced offense the past nine years. Wilson's first big test: Figuring out his quarterback. Ben Chappell is gone and the race is wide-open between names like Dusty Kiel and Edward Wright-Baker. Those guys will need some help from a running game. Last year the Hoosiers ranked 112th nationally rushing. And yet scoring wasn't IU's biggest problem. Stopping people was. The Hoosiers gave up 83, 41 and 31 points in each of the final three games. Doug Mallory and former Husker linebackers coach Mike Ekeler have a big job ahead. Seven starters are back on defense, but linebacker Tyler Replogle, who led the team with 87 tackles last year, is gone.

Parting question: How does Indiana's defense adjust to a new 4-3 scheme? The Hoosiers previously used a 3-4. Most importantly, Mallory and Ekeler will have to establish some toughness to a defense that lacked it last year, as evidenced by the Wisconsin game, when the Badgers ran over and around the Hoosiers for more than 80 points.

OHIO STATE

Head coach: Jim Tressel (11th year, 106-22)

2010 record: 12-1 (7-1 in Big Ten)

Starts practice: March 31

A briefing: It must feel like an odd spring at Ohio State as the Buckeyes prepare for a season in which five key players, including four big ones on offense (QB Terrelle Pryor, RB Dan Herron, WR DeVier Posey and OL Mike Adams) will be suspended the first five games by the NCAA. They'll all be back just in time to play Nebraska. But in the meantime, Tressel will need to find the right guys to fill their spots. So who starts at QB? Joe Bauserman is the veteran and perhaps the favorite for the job. But don't count out freshman Braxton Miller, who arrives in Columbus with plenty of fanfare. Obviously, the cupboard is never bare at Ohio State, but the Buckeyes do have to replace seven starters on defense, including defensive tackles Cameron Heyward and Dexter Larimore, and linebackers Brian Rolle and Ross Homan. Fortunately for OSU, defensive tackle John Simon returns after an impressive 2010 season.

Parting question: Basically, Ohio State is getting ready for two seasons -- the one pre-Pryor and the one with Pryor. How does Tressel manage this situation and keep the right chemistry in the locker room as the Buckeyes face that challenge?

PENN STATE

Head coach: Joe Paterno (46th year, 401-135-3)

2010 record: 7-6 (4-4 in Big Ten)

Starts practice: March 18

Spring game: April 16

A briefing: Penn State has one of the best quarterback races in the Big Ten this spring between sophomore Robert Bolden and junior Matt McGloin. Bolden started as a true freshman last year and was expected to take his lumps. But he took so many knocks that McGloin got his chance and had some shining moments up until he threw five picks in the Outback Bowl against Florida. The Nittany Lions are looking for a running back to replace Evan Royster and someone to step in for offensive guard Stefen Wisniewski, who was one of their best players. On defense, Penn State needs to make big strides, especially up front. Consider that PSU had just 17 sacks last year, finishing 101st nationally in that category. Penn State could gain some confidence with a favorable stretch run early, but better be ready in November when it plays its final three games against Nebraska, Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Parting question: Who steps up at linebacker at the place once known as Linebacker U? The Nittany Lions return eight starters on defense, but will need guys like Mike Mauti and Gerald Hodges to take their games to another level at the linebacker spot.

PURDUE

Head coach: Danny Hope (3rd year, 9-16)

2010 record: 4-8 (2-6 in Big Ten)

Started practice: March 2

Spring game: April 9

A briefing: The good news is Danny Hope has many starters back. The bad news is those many starters are back from a 4-8 team. The Boilermakers have nine starters back on defense, but gone is the best one -- defensive end Ryan Kerrigan. Kerrigan was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and was an absolute menace last fall, helping Purdue lead the Big Ten in sacks and tackles for loss. But now the Boilermakers must show they can do it without him and linebacker Jason Werner, who was also a key ingredient. Injuries hurt Purdue last year and still continue to annoy. Quarterback Robert Marve (Husker fans might remember that name) suffered an ACL tear and won't be around this spring, forcing the Boilermakers to explore other options this month.

Parting question: While injuries were part of Purdue's problems last year, the Boilermakers finished last in the conference in points and total yards. How does Hope, who has had a tough first two years as head coach, jump-start this offense at the school that produced Drew Brees?

WISCONSIN

Head coach: Bret Bielema (6th year, 49-16 in Big Ten)

2010 record: 11-2 (7-1 in Big Ten)

Starts practice: March 22

A briefing: The Badgers whipped most teams up front last year. There's still a lot of talent there, but Wisconsin will have to replace two All-Americans on its offensive line, including Outland winner Gabe Carimi. Also gone are quarterback Scott Tolzien and running back John Clay, though Clay isn't as big a loss as you might think. The Badgers still have Montee Ball and James White to carry the mail. They've also got a couple intriguing prospects at QB in Curt Phillips and Jon Budmayr. But both will need to prove they can bring the coolness that Tolzien had leading the huddle. Wisconsin does have question marks on defense. Most notably, the Badgers will have to find someone to step up with the departures of defensive end J.J. Watt, linebacker Culmer St. Jean and safety Jay Valia. St. Jean and Valia were good and Watt was great, earning All-America honors.

Parting question: What kind of pass rush will Wisconsin be able to get without Watt? He's a big loss for a team that had just 23 sacks last year and wasn't always great at disrupting teams behind the line of scrimmage.

Reach Brian Christopherson at bchristopherson@journalstar.com or 473-7439.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #51
entropy

The opening Big Ten match for NU in volleyball is a special feature, rare Wednesday Night Match against Penn State....

LJS

Before ever playing its first Big Ten match, the Nebraska volleyball team has scored a victory of sorts.

After pleading with conference officials for months to maintain at least some mid-week matches, NU announced a 2011 schedule this week that has two more Wednesday home matches than previously expected.

Nebraska will open Big Ten play against four-time defending national champion Penn State on Wednesday, Sept. 21, and the Huskers will face Minnesota on Wednesday, Nov. 16.

On original schedules, both matches were listed for Friday. They were moved to be part of a weekly Wednesday night featured match on the Big Ten Network.

"I felt it was important to have a match on TV on Wednesday night, when there aren't a lot of other sporting events on," said Nebraska coach John Cook.

Nebraska's other Wednesday home match will be against Iowa on Oct. 19. The Huskers' return trip to Iowa City on Nov. 23 marks the only Wednesday night match on the road.

On other weeks, Nebraska's schedule will follow the traditional Big Ten model of matches on Friday and Saturday. The Huskers will play Northwestern and Illinois only once during the first two years of conference play.

Recruits in Fab 50

Freshman Lara Dykstra will be with the Huskers when Nebraska opens spring drills Sunday. Dykstra, a libero from Redondo Beach, Calif., enrolled in January after signing her letter-of-intent back in November.

Dykstra and Taylor Simpson, a freshman set to join NU in August, were recently named to Volleyball Magazine's Fab 50 list of high school seniors.

Where are they now?

Former Husker Kayla Banwarth was the libero for the U.S. National Training Team in sweeps of the Japan Youth National Team last week.

Coaching carousel

-- It turns out that Nebraska's win against Auburn in the second round of the NCAA Tournament was the last match for coach Wade Benson with the Tigers. Benson recently resigned, having led Auburn to its only NCAA appearance.

-- USA Volleyball announced that women's national team coach Hugh McCutcheon will remain on the job through the 2012 Olympics in London. McCutcheon, who recently was named head coach at Minnesota, will join the Gophers early in the 2012 season. Laura Bush will be Minnesota's interim head coach.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #52
entropy

pretty sure the BigTen knew exactly how to market nebraska... =)
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #53
entropy

AWESOME!!!!

LINK

NU to Continue Thanksgiving Friday Tradition
Nebraska will continue its long tradition of playing on the Friday after Thanksgiving when it moves into the Big Ten Conference in 2011. Nebraska and Iowa announced on Monday they will meet on the day after Thanksgiving in both 2011 and 2012.
The first of those meetings will take place at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln on Nov. 25, 2011. The Huskers' first trip to Iowa City for a Big Ten Conference game will be played on Friday, Nov. 23, 2012.

The change in dates was recently approved by the Big Ten Conference's Administrator's Council. A game time and television coverage information for the 2011 game in Lincoln will be available at a later date.

The announcement continues a long Nebraska tradition of playing on the day after Thanksgiving. The 2011 season will mark the 22nd straight year Nebraska has played on the day after Thanksgiving.

"I think our fans have enjoyed the tradition of playing on the day after Thanksgiving, and we are pleased the Big Ten Conference has allowed us to continue to do so," Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said. "The University of Iowa is a natural opponent to play on that day, and we look forward to great matchups between the two schools for years to come."

Nebraska Coach Bo Pelini said he expects the Nebraska-Iowa matchup to be a good fit for the Thanksgiving weekend matchup.

"Obviously, I have the philosophy that you show up and play when and where the schedule dictates," Pelini said. "That being said, playing the day after Thanksgiving has been good for our program in terms of national exposure, and we look forward to that continuing as we move into the Big Ten Conference. We have a lot of respect for Iowa's football program and these games should be a good showcase for the league."

The Nebraska-Iowa game will be played annually as the border schools are both in the Big Ten Legends Division. The Huskers and Hawkeyes last met on the gridiron in a home-and-home series in 1999 and 2000, with Nebraska winning both matchups. Nebraska holds a 26-12-3 advantage in the all-time series between the two schools.

Quotes from University of Iowa

Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta: "Iowa playing Nebraska on any given weekend is a great matchup between two historic football programs. Having the game on Thanksgiving Friday will add to the excitement and the potential for a strong national television audience."

Iowa Head Coach Kirk Ferentz: "Our staff and players are excited to begin competing with Nebraska the day after Thanksgiving this season and in 2012. College football played on this day has a well-established rivalry history, and we feel it will be a great opportunity for our program to join in a new chapter of Big Ten Conference history. These Friday games should help create great atmosphere, both in Lincoln this fall and in Kinnick Stadium in 2012."

Notes

The post-Thanksgiving holiday meeting will have a historical tie for Nebraska and Iowa. The schools met eight consecutive years on Thanksgiving Day between 1891 and 1898. All of those games were played in either Omaha or Council Bluffs.
Nebraska played Colorado on the Friday following Thanksgiving in each of the 15 seasons of Big 12 Conference play. Nebraska met Oklahoma on that day from 1990 to 1995.
The 2011 season will mark the third straight season Nebraska has played on the Friday after Thanksgiving without a bye the previous week. Nebraska had a bye before each of the Thanksgiving Friday games between 1990 and 2008.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #54
lineygoblue

I love it. Iowa v Nebraska on Friday, .. Mich v ohio on Saturday at Noon, ... then any number of possibilities for 3:30 and/or 8:00 kickoffs. A great weekend of Big Ten football, that doesn't take a back seat to anyone.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #55
WingsFan

Cool!!!!
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #56
WM Wolverine

How well does your baseball team compete in the Big XII?
WM Wolverine is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #57
Ghengis Jon

Thats a great match-up for NU and UI. A lot of people who don't give two hoots about either team will watch that one on Thanksgiving Friday.

But it does make me miss the old time Neb-Okla season enders. Those were some great blood battles.
Ghengis Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #58
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM Wolverine View Post
How well does your baseball team compete in the Big XII?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska CornhuskersFounded: 1869

UniversityUniversity of Nebraska-LincolnConferenceBig 12LocationLincoln, NEHead CoachMike Anderson (7th year)Home StadiumHawks Field at Haymarket Park
(Capacity: 8,500)NicknameCornhuskersColorsScarlet and Cream
CWS Appearances2001, 2002, 2005NCAA Tournament Appearances1948, 1950, 1979, 1980, 1985, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008Conference Tournament Champions1999, 2000, 2001, 2005Conference ChampionsBig 7: 1948, 1950
Big 12: 2001, 2003, 2005
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln Cornhuskers baseball team is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Big 12 Conference, and is currently coached by Mike Anderson. The program started in 1889.
The Huskers have been to twelve NCAA baseball regionals (1979, 1980, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 200. Nebraska has been to four super regionals (2000, 2001, 2002, and 2005) and three College World Series (2001, 2002, and 2005). They have also had seventeen 40 win seasons with 8 of them coming in the past 10 seasons.
Nebraska's all-time record is 1,898–1,380–11 (.579). From 1979–2009, the Huskers constructed a 1,261–689–3 record (.647). Their all-time conference record is 723–703–1 (.50 and 196–132–1 (.597) in the Big 12 Era.[1]

Nebraska has won the Big12 Baseball tourney 4 out of the last 11 years and lost in the finals 2 additional times.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #59
entropy

Mike Anderson is nebraska's curren coach and there is very mixed feelings about him. He has led nebraska to the CWS and got a win in that tourny, but the last 2 years have not been very good from a competive perspective. Last year, they didn't make the big12 tourny, which hasn't happened since the 90's.

Nebraska has beaten #5 UCLA (taking 2 out of 3), so things have started off positive so far this year.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #60
Dr. Strangelove

Cool stuff about Iowa and Nebraska playing on Friday. I imagine Wisconsin/PSU will be the 3:30 game on saturday
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top