• Show
Clear All

• Underachiever.
    Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
      Underachiever.
      LMFAO!
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Broncos name Brock Olivo Special Teams Coordinator

After helping the Chiefs' special teams unit since 2014 as an assistant, Brock Olivo will lead the Broncos' group as Special Teams Coordinator.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In looking for a new special teams coordinator, the Broncos turned to one of the league's best units.
        Denver named Brock Olivo to that position Monday, giving him his first shot as an NFL coordinator after three seasons (2014-16) as a special teams assistant with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Brock Olivo is an intelligent and accomplished coach who we believe will be very successful as a special teams coordinator," Head Coach Vance Joseph said. "Being a former player who was primarily a special teams player, Brock understands the mindset, work ethic and importance of this phase of the game. Working under Dave Toub in Kansas City, Brock learned from a special coach and has the right experiences as a No. 2 guy that have prepared him to be the coordinator."

During Olivo's Kansas City tenure working under special teams coordinator Dave Toub, the Chiefs were one of just four teams that did not allow a touchdown on a kickoff or punt return. Kansas City also ranked third in the league in touchdowns scored on kickoff or punt returns (5), with a plus-5 touchdown differential that was second in the NFL in that span, trailing only the Philadelphia Eagles (plus-6).

In 2014 and 2015, Kansas City also ranked ninth and eighth in the special-teams rankings annually compiled by Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News. Gosselin's 2016 rankings will be released this week.

Olivo's renown on special teams dates back to his 1994-97 career at the University of Missouri, which saw him graduate as the school's leader in rushing yardage (3,026) and rushing touchdowns (27). Both records have since been broken. In his senior season, Olivo became the first winner of the Mosi Tatupu Special Teams Player of the Year award, which helped him earn an undrafted opportunity with the Detroit Lions the following year.

He played 44 games over four seasons with the Lions, twice leading the team in special teams tackles before retiring in 2002.

Olivo stayed involved in football after his retirement from the NFL, as he played and later coached in Italy. He served as head coach of the S.S. Lazio Marines in Rome, and also held the same position for Italy's national American football team. He also ran for the U.S. House of Representatives in 2008.

Olivo's stateside coaching break came in 2011, when he joined the staff of the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks, coaching running backs and assisting on special teams. When Omaha's coach, Joe Moglia, moved on to Coastal Carolina, Olivo went with him, working with running backs and special teams and helping the Chanticleers to their deepest FCS playoff run in school history to that point -- a quarterfinals appearance in 2013. While at Coastal, Olivo worked with former Broncos safety Curome Cox, who coaches cornerbacks and also helps with the kickoff-coverage unit.

Olivo joined the Chiefs in 2014, reuniting with Toub, who was Missouri's strength and conditioning coach during Olivo's undergraduate years there.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Good for him!

Comment

• 49ers: Shanahan has 53-man roster control; Mayhew hired; Kaepernick reached out

** Lynch announced the 49ers have hired Martin Mayhew, 51, as a senior personnel executive.
            Mayhew was the Lions general manager from 2008-15. He is also a former NFL cornerback who spent four seasons (1993-96) of his nine-year career with Lynch in Tampa Bay.
            Lynch said he wanted to have someone in the front office that had served as a general manager. One of his key lieutenants, vice president of personnel Adam Peters, was the director of college scouting for the Broncos last year.
            A GM who has never held a front office position with Mayhew as his guide. Where have we saw this before?
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Former Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew has been hired by the 49ers as a senior personnel executive.

I don't usually post comments from stories but...

ocdn says:
              Feb 9, 2017 6:42 PM
              Martin, please sign Caldwell as your coach as your first order of business…..
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I guess we won't have to worry about the 49ers being good anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/...w-10921714.php

49ers: Shanahan has 53-man roster control; Mayhew hired; Kaepernick reached out
                    A GM who has never held a front office position with Mayhew as his guide. Where have we saw this before?
                    Matt Millen 2.0 and Mayhew reunited.
                    With the 2nd pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, 49ers select Mike Williams, WR, Clemson.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
                      I guess we won't have to worry about the 49ers being good anytime soon.
                      Yup. They are destined for 10 years of players with injury issues and lots of promise but never panning out.

Comment

• It would be hard for York to have a longer leash on Lynch than WCF had on Millen.

Comment

• Former Detroit Lions DB arrested in Oregon after 3rd naked break-in attempt
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Stanley sure is putting in work on getting that CTE defense solidified.

Comment

• That shit is crazy! He and Titus are neck and neck for the most bat shit ex Leo players.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Local football coach says he was fired over social media post

High school coach and former NFL CB fired after 20 days because of social media post

Alec McQuade, WXIA

LOCUST GROVE, Ga. -- Just 20 days after he was hired, former NFL corner back Fernando Bryant was fired from the head football coaching job at Strong Rock Christian School because of questionable social media posts, according to his termination letter.
                                Bryant informed 11Alive's Alec McQuade that the private Christian school asked him to resign on Feb. 19 after parents had raised issues about his past on social media. When Bryant refused to resign, he was terminated. The administration did not provide Bryant a specific post that was the reason for his termination.
                                "I was led to believe it was my wife?s [post]. They never showed it to me or never said anything other than a parent brought it to their attention," Bryant said.
                                Bryant's wife, Amber Bryant, was a television personality on Bravo's show Mother Funders, a show that follows a PTO at Bethlehem Elementary School in Locust Grove, Ga.

The termination letter, provided to 11Alive by Bryant, explicitly stated social media as the cause of his termination.
                                "This letter will confirm that Strong Rock Christian School has made a decision not to move forward with your employment in the position of head coach of the football team and physical education teacher. As we discussed, after we made the offer to you, some within our parent community raised concerns regarding your family?s public presence on social media and the internet and questioned whether the postings and information were consistent with our Christian values. We?re sorry that our relationship had to end before it started. We wish you the best," the letter stated.
                                Bryant said that the school employees must be Born-Again Christians, but they never explicitly stated employees could not drink. They also never made any sort of social media guidelines known to him.
                                A source within the football program provided 11Alive with a screen shot of the social media post on Amber's private Instagram account that the parent allegedly sent to the school's administration. Bryant gave 11Alive permission to show the picture. In it, the Bryants are posing together holding what he admits to be a bottle of alcohol.
                                This private Instagram photo is said to be the reason Fernando Bryant was fired from Strong Rock Christian School, a source inside the football program told 11Alive. Photo: Special to 11Alive
                                Bryant said the picture was taken three years ago at an event for Bemagazine, an internet magazine. He said they were taking the picture for sponsors.
                                "Are you for real?" Bryant said when the picture was shown to him.
                                The source inside the football program told 11Alive the school had seen the post before Bryant was hired.
                                Bryant's termination letter was handed to him 20 days after he had signed his contract to be the head coach and physical education teacher. Bryant, who was a former defensive backs coach at Limestone College, had turned down two college coaching jobs and one high school head coaching job to accept the job at Strong Rock Christian School. He had already been introduced and began his coaching duties. He was set to begin working out with the team later in the month.
                                The interview process for the job lasted two months, according to Bryant. During the process, they not only searched his background and history on social media, but his wife's as well.
                                "I don?t know if they went back three years," Bryant said. "I know they went through her social media and everything. They actually called her in and spoke with her during the interview process, so I don?t really know, to be honest."
                                Bryant said he may pursue legal action against the school, but he is still exploring his options.
                                "It is a little disheartening. I went through a long process," Bryant said. "I don?t understand it from the standpoint of the day they hired me to the day they said they couldn?t have me as their head coach. Nothing had changed. Nothing changed from the standpoint of anything they knew about me."
                                Bryant said the school did its background checks, and he's concerned about the influence possibly one parent had on its decision to fire him.
                                "If one parent or one part of a school can control it that much as far as Christianity, it makes you wonder what times we?re in," he said. "I am a Christian, that?s the one thing that gives Christianity a bad name, when we start passing judgment on each other."
                                Bryant said the backlash against him and his family could have to do with the show his wife was on, but the school already knew about it and had seen the show. The show was discussed during Bryant's interview.
                                11Alive reached out multiple times to Strong Rock Christian School, which is in Locust Grove, Georgia, for comment. When Athletic Director Phil Roberts answered a phone call, he said he was at practice and would have no comment on Bryant's termination at this time.
                                In an email that was apparently sent to the school's parents on Monday and obtained by 11Alive, School President David D. Mann announced that Bryant would not be the coach.
                                "We will respect Coach Bryant's privacy by not discussing the reasons that he will not be joining us," the email read.
                                Bryant, 39, was a first round pick in the 1999 NFL Draft out of Alabama. He played 10 seasons, spending time with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions, New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers, where he won a Super Bowl. He had 472 total tackles and seven interceptions in his NFL career.
                                (? 2017 WXIA)

Comment

Working...
                                X