DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old April 16th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #1381
Futureshock

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-looking-for/

Is LSU RB Derrius Guice a target for the Redskins in the draft?
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:53 AM   #1382
Futureshock

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...sit/516535002/

The Lions had Boston College DE Harold Landry in for a visit.
Old April 16th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #1383
Cody_Russell

Kerryon is a cool first name for a RB, but the name as a whole lacks due to the last name. Itís no HaHa Clinton-Dix.

Old April 16th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #1384
Forsh

Has Taven Bryan been mentioned much here as a potential pick at 20? Seems raw, but the type that great defensive coaching could turn into a beast.
Old April 16th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #1385
Mainevent

Yes.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 16th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #1386
Futureshock

Vander Esch camp denies report on medicals
A source close to Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch told Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm that an earlier report regarding the linebacker failing medical checks was untrue.

Edholm writes that his source from Vander Esch's camp "completely and vehemently denies" that the linebacker has run into issues with his medical checks. Earlier on Monday, Walter Football's Charlie Campbell reported that several teams had axed the Boise State standout from their draft boards due to health concerns. Edholm is hearing that Vander Esch was not even at combine rechecks, though. We'll cut through the smoke one way or another in a little over a week.
Source: Eric Edholm on Twitter Apr 16 - 1:35 PM

Quote:
Some Teams Have Medically Flunked Vander Esch
Updated April 16, 2018
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

One of the late-rising prospects during the leadup to the 2018 NFL Draft has been Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch. He put together some excellent workouts for teams, showing speed and athleticism in his 6-foot-4, 256-pound frame. Injuries limited Vander Esch to six games in 2016, but he exploded as a junior with 141 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, four passes broken up and three interceptions. That injury history, however, has still comeback to bite Vander Esch, as WalterFootball.com has learned that some teams have removed him from their draft board after was flunking him medically.

Sources from four teams said they felt Vander Esch belongs on the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft and would go there. Two other team sources thought Vander Esch could go late in the first round. One team that flunked him medically said they had a third-round grade on Vander Esch before the medical report ruled him out.

"To me, he's a third-round talent, but probably will go higher," said an AFC general manager. "He has gotten a lot of hype, but he plays soft. He's too much like Paul Posluszny for me. He's a good player and will have a lot of tackles, but most of them will come four yards downfield. He's not an impact-at-the-line guy like a Ray Lewis, Luke Kuechly, Jon Beason or Brian Urlacher."

Helping Vander Esch to go in the first round are teams not having 32 first-round grades. It varies by team, but in the final dozen picks of the first round, there will be players with second-round grades getting selected because there are not enough true first-rounders. Vander Esch could be one of those players, but medical concerns also might cause him to slide to Day 2 of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress#ixzz5CriKGBz9
Old April 16th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #1387
Futureshock

Rang: Rudolph being linked to Patriots
NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang hears that Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph has been "increasingly" tied to the New England Patriots.

As Rang notes, the Patriots have both the 23rd and 31st pick in the first round, and also have pick 43 after the Jimmy Garoppolo trade. New England needs a quarterback of the future with Tom Brady on the wrong side of 40 and no developmental signal-callers on the roster, and Rudolph's quick release could fit well in the Patriots' system. Most believe he'd be a reach at 23, but at 31 or 43, it makes a lot of sense on paper.
Source: NFL Draft Scout Apr 14 - 12:44 PM
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:49 AM   #1388
Cody_Russell

Gross. Rudolph is my least favorite top QB in this class. No pocket mobility and the system he played in doesn’t translate to the NFL. I remember watching a Ok St game when Rudolph hardly moved in the pocket.... Just catch and throw. Accurate deep ball is about it.

2018 Lions draft visit tracker: Detroit hosts TE prospect Hayden Hurst for private visit
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/...south-carolina

2nd Round candidate. Hurst has reliable hands at least.
Luke Willson, Michael Roberts, and Levine Toilolo... not that great of a TE group.
Old April 17th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #1389
Mainevent

Hurst was impressive the couple of times I watched him. Heís 25 years old though. If he was 21 or 22 Iíd say he was a lock first rounder. Still might slip in though.

I love the touch Rudolph has, throws a beautiful ball. But yeah, straight pocket passer and that system makes it impossible to evaluate how theses guys will transition to the pros.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 17th, 2018, 03:17 PM   #1390
Panoptes

Tom Brady made a career being known mostly as a pocket passer with limited mobility. I can't imagine Rudolph being a total stiff like the GOAT.

Again, college players are not finished products. One must be able to project their ability within a system.
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #1391
Dan V

Does anyone really think the Browns can screw up this draft picking 1 and 4 ?

I see them getting Darnold and Barkley but who knows. They may pick Josh Allen ( I think will be a bust) and the OL from Notre Dame (great but the browns have more pressing needs)

I also think whoever gets Baker Mayfield will end up with the best QB in this draft.
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:36 PM   #1392
dpatnod

Yes. They are the Browns.
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:54 PM   #1393
Cody_Russell

Browns always do.
If its Josh Allen #1, seems like a big time boom or bust. #4 pick, how can you screw up with Barkley or Chubb... I'd have to be a major injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
Tom Brady made a career being known mostly as a pocket passer with limited mobility. I can't imagine Rudolph being a total stiff like the GOAT.
Again, college players are not finished products. One must be able to project their ability within a system.
Brady gets away with limited mobility due to perfection when it comes to pocket presence... being able to use his feet to manipulate the pocket while keeping his eyes down field. GOAT.
Rudolph, 95% of the time, its a 3 step drop back and throw the ball. The system thing and how Rudolph looked in it has me skeptical. Its similar to Bryce Petty, Davis Webb, Bradon Weeden, etc. Same QB basically, but better deep ball accuracy.
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:41 PM   #1394
Whitley

Your score is: 22706 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 30 (MINN): Guice, Derrius, RB, LSU (A-)
Round 2 Pick 19: Green, Rasheem, DE, Southern California (A-)
Round 2 Pick 23 (CAR): Reid, Justin, FS, Stanford (A)
Round 3 Pick 18: Settle, Tim, DT, Virginia Tech (A)
Round 3 Pick 27 (N.O.): Thomas, Ian, TE, Indiana (A+)
Round 3 Pick 30 (MINN): Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A)
Round 4 Pick 17: Warner, Fred, OLB, Brigham Young (A+)
Round 4 Pick 27 (N.O.): Jones, Jamarco, OT, Ohio State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 16: Phillips, Skyler, OG, Idaho State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 30 (MINN): Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: ODaniel, Dorian, OLB, Clemson (A+)

Big update at First pick.
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:56 AM   #1395
Futureshock

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...draft-analysis

NFL Draft Needs: Lions

Missed LG and DT
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #1396
Futureshock

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descripti...lowing-surgery

Wisconsin draft prospect Nelson gets good news following surgery

He was injured while working out for the Lions
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:39 AM   #1397
gibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureshock View Post
http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descripti...lowing-surgery

Wisconsin draft prospect Nelson gets good news following surgery

He was injured while working out for the Lions
I still haven't forgiven Wisconsin for Aaron Gibson
Old April 18th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #1398
Futureshock

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/...itney-mercilus

2018 NFL mock draft trades: Detroit Lions trade 1st-round pick for an EDGE

Quote:
Texans get: Lions’ 20th overall pick
Lions get: Defensive end Whitney Mercilus, Texans’ 2019 first-round pick
I would say yes. You get 2 1st for next year and you still add a pass rusher.
Old April 18th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #1399
Futureshock

Quote:
4/6: "Buccaneers GM Jason Licht is slobbering over UTEP left guard Will Hernandez." - , JoeBucsFan.com
Hernandez is an interesting name for the Buccaneers in Round 2, but they may have to trade up for him. Hernandez is currently slotted 30th in my 2018 NFL Mock Draft. -Walter

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/nflrum...#ixzz5D293z87J
Quote:
4/9: The Seahawks like Marcus Davenport. - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com
Seattle, however, may not get a chance to select him. First of all, there's a decent chance Davenport won't be available. Second, the Seahawks are likely to trade down because they have just one pick in the top 119 picks. Still, if they stay put, and Davenport is available, he's a very realistic option for them. -Walter

Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/nflrum...vYSrOlAsyql.99
Quote:
4/13: The Titans have canceled their visit with Leighton Vander Esch because they don't expect him to be available at No. 25. - Tony Pauline, DraftAnalyst.com
There are some concerns with Vander Esch, which we'll post Monday, but there's no doubt that his stock has been rising throughout the pre-draft process. Vander Esch is 19th in our 2018 NFL Mock Draft. -Walter

Quote:
4/15: The Patriots have been "increasingly tied" to Mason Rudolph. - Rob Rang, NFL Draft Scout
That probably means they won't be taking him. I can't recall the last time New England selected a player it has been heavily linked to. Kyle Lauletta probably makes more sense on Day 2. -Walter

Old April 18th, 2018, 09:36 AM   #1400
Futureshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Russell View Post
Gross. Rudolph is my least favorite top QB in this class. No pocket mobility and the system he played in doesnít translate to the NFL. I remember watching a Ok St game when Rudolph hardly moved in the pocket.... Just catch and throw. Accurate deep ball is about it.

2018 Lions draft visit tracker: Detroit hosts TE prospect Hayden Hurst for private visit
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/...south-carolina

2nd Round candidate. Hurst has reliable hands at least.
Luke Willson, Michael Roberts, and Levine Toilolo... not that great of a TE group.
They should wait and snag Jaylen Samuels in the 4th. Plays TE/FB/HB/Slot