No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm basing it on my own observations. Izzo is more decorated for two reasons -- he got to a major program much earlier in his career, and because he's got a more resilient system. I don't know if he's a better coach than Beilein, but he's got a system that works well enough more of the time.

Comment

• OK, game's pretty much over now. Even with injuries State lacks the talent we've got. They fucking swept us and went to the tournament. We got punked constantly. So fuck you for that, Beilein, and fuck you to your pansy-ass bullshit system. You better make up for this next year.

Comment

• MSU is a such a tough program. Izzo gets the most out of his players, and they match his system perfectly.
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Yeah. Exactly.

Comment

• Really? It's still 'open to debate' if Izzo is a better coach than Beilein? Really?

Beilein was supposed to have driven Izzo out of the league by now, as I recall

Comment

• I think that was supposed to be the other way around. Beilein wasn't supposed to last this long against Izzo and Matta.

Izzo coaches for the tournament every year. He likes regular season wins, but he uses the regular season to prep his team for the tournament. There aren't many guys who can take a bunch of bench warmers and put them into the sweet sixteen. Calapari can't do it. Izzo has done it a few times.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Izzo's system scales up and down with his talent. He won a national championship in his fifth year and he has five Final Fours. A Sweet Sixteen appearance by itself might not be elite performance, but thirteen of them in 18 years is. That's why I don't get the argument that Beilein's system is more boom or bust. It's simply more bust.

Comment

• Michigan State has plenty of talent. They don't typically have high-end elite players, but they have seem to always have a lot of depth of good talent. They also always seem to have a good pair of guards.

The 13 out of 18 is impressive, but I like this stat even better: in years when MSU has won at least 20 games and at least 10 conference games it's 13 out of 13. Basically, when has a decent team he gets to the Sweet 16.

I will say I think his team was awful against UConn last year. That's just one game, but I thought they got a little outside themselves and pressed a bit when things weren't going there way.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    Izzo's system scales up and down with his talent. He won a national championship in his fifth year and he has five Final Fours. A Sweet Sixteen appearance by itself might not be elite performance, but thirteen of them in 18 years is. That's why I don't get the argument that Beilein's system is more boom or bust. It's simply more bust.
                    Well, you considered half the argument before making a decision. Beilein's system scales up with talent too. We're coming of two years in a row of deep-tourney performance and its no coincidence it's also been two years of NBA pipeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                      Beilein's system scales up with talent too.
                      I never said otherwise.

Do you consider a Final Four year to be a "boom" year? Beilein has made one of those in 12.5% of his seasons. Izzo -- 25%. Izzo's booms have been more frequent and his busts have been nonexistent.

Comment

• You equated ``scaling up with talent'' to ``boom or bust'', and called Beilein bust only.

Sure -- FF would be a boom. Izzo's made more of them. But what's your deal here? I'm here to make the same basic point you are making.

Comment

• Izzo also gets his teams to peak at the right time. Seems like it happens every year.
                          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Izzo's teams always seem 'complete', rarely a glaring weakness that teams can exploit. Rebounding and defense are a big part of that.

Comment

• Hard to fathom that Nebraska beat MSU this year...
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Nothing at all earth shattering, but always a good read this time of year when everyone seems to forget this type of shit:

Calipari is undefeated at Kentucky and a candidate for the Hall of Fame, but UMass’s decision to honor him for his (first) vacated Final Four appearance is a curious one.

Comment

Working...
                                X