Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spartan Football - Owned and Operated by the University of Michigan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
    The media and public opinion don?t get a say in who coaches the football team at MSU. And it pretty laughable that you think people should police their own opinions to begin with.
    They actually do, because reputation and image matters, and most people can not weather the storm of a mob pounding at their door, whipped into a frenzy over fact free media reporting.

What's laughable about suggesting people use facts and evidence before demanding someone lose their job and legacy? Sorry, but justice shouldn't include people losing their job over no known wrongdoing because the mob demands it. Unless this isn't America anymore.

Comment

• That’s why the general public doesn’t get to dole out justice. And MSU doesn’t give a shit what the general public says, they care about what the donors say. If those people want to vote with their wallets, so be it but something tells me they won’t be as quick to judge the super-popular football and basketball coaches.

Penn State football basically sanctioned the rape of little boys and they put up their soundproof walls of denial and demonized the media too. They’re doing fine today... but you want me to believe this is going to end the careers of Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio. Ok.

I’m glad this is still America though.
      Last edited by Kstat; January 27, 2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• I too believe it is important to thoroughly investigate these crimes (or any crimes at a university for that matter) regardless of the status of the accused. I love football, but it absolutely pales in comparison to the need of our young adults having the right to be safe on a school campus. There should be zero debate on this.

I don't care if it's my favorite player, my favorite university, a student whose family has a lot of money, or even someone with some sort of family connection to the school itself. If they are accused of a crime on campus it needs to be treated just like anyone else, and if the people in charge whether it's a coach, AD, or other university official are proven to have looked have "looked the other way" for whatever reason, then they too need to face justice.

But justice is the key word here as if there is no evidence of wrongdoing by either the accused or by those in charge, then these investigations absolutely can't turn into a witch hunt. Not only does it hurt the innocent, it eventually can even weaken the case against those who are guilty in the future. And that too is unacceptable.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson

Comment

• All that said, after reading what I have so far it does not look good for Michigan St. Again, we don't (nor ever should) declare anyone guilty over how something "looks", but the accusations by those involved definitely warrant a further (and thorough) investigation.

At the very least, the lesson for Michigan St. (and other universities) is that conducting these types of investigations "in house" is not wise as it presents an image of being self-serving and manufacturing a situation that is ripe for corruption, even for those that are honestly trying to do the right thing. (Unfortunately, in cases like these it presents those images because it often is.)

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson

Comment

• Buchanan, did you read the part of the ESPN report from Lauren Allswede, former MSU sexual assault counselor?
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by FanFromCali View Post
              .....At the very least, the lesson for Michigan St. (and other universities) is that conducting these types of investigations "in house" is not wise .....
              Uh, no .........

Title IX part of Public Law No. 92‑318, 86 Stat. 235 (June 23, 1972), codified at 20 U.S.C. ?? 1681–1688 requires that MSU implement protocols for dealing with allegations of sexual misconduct by students. Do you know what those are? I don't, not specifically anyway. I also don't know specifically what kind of rules are in place for MSU employees regarding these matters. Apparently, The State's AG is conducting an investigation that is entirely separate from the Nassar thing.

The point is that Title IX requires exactly what your alleging that MSU did wrong - conduct an in-house investigation of alledged sexual misconduct involving MSU athletes. I'm assuming they did. Now, what's going to come into question given specific allegations is whether (1) MSU is in compliance with Title IX when it comes to the requirement to implement protocols for dealing with allegations of sexual misconduct and (2) If those protocols are in place and of they meet title IX requirements for them did an MSU employee fail to follow them.

We're not even close to that determination yet social media and the press are irresponsibly all over this, IMO, bringing into question whether or not those who are being accused of not acting in accordance with their responsibility to act are going to be affforded due process.

Was President Simon afforded it? You tell me ..... here's her resignation letter.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 27, 2018, 12:30 PM.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
                Buchanan, did you read the part of the ESPN report from Lauren Allswede, former MSU sexual assault counselor?
                I've seen it. Read it in detail? No.

Her allegations regarding Mark Dantonio are idle talk of a frustrated and former MSU employee at this point as far as I'm concerned. We'll find out perhaps at
                some future point when she testifies under oath to investigators assigned by the State's AG whether that is factual or not.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Here you go

former Michigan State sexual assault counselor Lauren Allswede, who left the university in 2015 over frustrations about how administrators handled sexual assault cases, told Outside the Lines that MSU administrators' entire approach to such cases has been misguided for years. The biggest issue? Complaints involving athletes were routinely investigated and handled by athletic director Hollis' department, and sometimes even coaches, she says.

"Whatever protocol or policy was in place, whatever frontline staff might normally be involved in response or investigation, it all got kind of swept away and it was handled more by administration [and] athletic department officials," says Allswede, who worked at MSU for seven years. "It was all happening behind closed doors. ... None of it was transparent or included people who would normally be involved in certain decisions."

Allswede told Outside the Lines that about seven years ago, an attorney from the university's general counsel's department came to her office to try to reassure her that coaches were taking allegations of sexual violence seriously. Allswede says the attorney told her how Dantonio, the football coach, had dealt with a sexual assault accusation against one of his players: He had the player talk to his mother about what he had done.

"That did not reassure me at all," Allswede says. "There's no guarantee that that had any effect, any help, whatever."

Allswede says she counseled at least five women who reported being sexually assaulted by male student athletes and was aware, via her colleagues, of possibly 10 others. She said she suspected even more, especially cases in which the person reporting the assault was also a student athlete, because of the practice of the athletic department to keep such issues in house.
                  Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    Uh, no .........

Title IX part of Public Law No. 92‑318, 86 Stat. 235 (June 23, 1972), codified at 20 U.S.C. ?? 1681?1688 requires that MSU implement protocols for dealing with allegations of sexual misconduct by students. Do you know what those are? I don't, not specifically anyway. I also don't know specifically what kind of rules are in place for MSU employees regarding these matters.

The point is that Title IX requires exactly what your alleging that MSU did wrong - conduct an in-house investigation of alledged sexual misconduct involving MSU athletes. I'm assuming they did.

I'd be surprised if Title IX calls for coaches and their staff to be the ones doing the investigation of such matters. That seems like something administration and sexual assault counselors should do.
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Now Ive read it. My opinion posted in the post above is unchanged.

BTW, I head from a guy who knows some other guy inside M's AD that Harbaugh smokes cigars in his office in violation of no smoking rules for the U.

Let's send ESPN out there to investigate these rules violations.

Comment

I'd be surprised if Title IX calls for coaches and their staff to be the ones doing the investigation of such matters. That seems like something administration and sexual assault counselors should do.
                        I guess will find out if that is true or not when the State AG completes his investigation of an alleged violation of a US Code.

I'm done here. People are not listening.

Comment

Now Ive read it. My opinion posted in the post above is unchanged.

BTW, I head from a guy who knows some other guy inside M's AD that Harbaugh smokes cigars in his office in violation of no smoking rules for the U.

If Michigan were already under investigation for harboring a predator for 20 years I?d be all for it.

Comment

Holy shit is that tone deaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

I guess will find out if that is true or not when the State AG completes his investigation of an alleged violation of a US Code.

I'm done here. People are not listening.
                              I?d say you?re the one with your head in the sand but that?s just me. Nobody is bringing Dantonio up on criminal charges but you act like court of public opinion and law are the same thing and held to the same scrutiny.

Comment

Holy shit is that tone deaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                White men are being persecuted. We need to rally the troops. The evil media is out to get us all.

Comment

Working...
                                X