No announcement yet.

Football Spring Practice aka Thorn in the SEC Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can't hurt, only help. Two years of camps and one full recruiting cycle is far too soon to judge the impact of the camps. Also, HARBAUGH!! is just crazy enough that maybe he actually just really likes coaching football as much as he can.

Comment

I agree that M isn't close to surpassing Alabama and OSU in recruiting, but I disagree that the camps haven't helped M. I think part of what you're forgetting is just how far M had fallen in recruiting the last 5-10 years.

I know Hoke had a few good classes, but the bulk of those kids were from the Midwest. There is no way M would be in on kids from Alabama, Georgia or Florida under Hoke. Part of that is due to Harbaugh's name recognition and work ethic. But part of it is due to the camps and getting exposure in the south. The recruits mention this. M needed this as a PR stunt to get its name back out there, and I think it has accomplished that. It isn't the be all end all of recruiting tactics, but it has helped M to some degree.
      I think you overestimate how far M fell in terms of recruiting. The fact that Hoke was able to put together #6 and #4 out of the gate is not surprising. Even his 2016 class was pretty good given their total lack of numbers -- his 16 in that class outrank HARBAUGH!!!!'s 17 in his current class. The anomaly was RichGOD's shitass recruiting -- in part, by choice. HARBAUGH!!!!'s recruiting is, more or less, what Hoke's was at the same point in time.

M, as a program, was shit. But the rot was still mostly internal. The M brand was still relatively strong.

I also think you underestimate the value of HARBAUGH!!!! New coaches often have an energy, an optimism about them that they're able to sell recruits. Hoke did it. The likes of Mike Riley is doing it. HARBAUGH!!!! had that "new coach" optimism + a strong name value.

I do agree that the satellite camps are a "PR stunt." I don't think they matter one lick in recruiting. You don't build relationships through one-day camps. The camps, at most, get your foot in the door to start building relationships. But for a coach like NFL MACHINE, INC at a program like M, you don't need any sort of gimmick opener. Period.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

The camps best purpose is getting M's name on ESPN. The manufactured conflict made it a news story.

Does that really help with recruiting? I dunno...
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I can tell the non blues are a bit jealous of Harbaugh and his camps.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

SOP. Either HARBAUGH!!!!! is GENIUS!!!!! or you're jealous.

Fair enough. I do wish UFM had M's recruiting class.

Comment

AA is correct, M getting PR from the camps certainly helped. Impossible to measure, but they have some interest from a ton of blue chippers.

Comment

The much bigger story would be if a program like M headed up by a coach like HARBAUGH!!!! didn't have "some interest" from a "ton of blue chippers." That would be cause for huge concern.

As I said, HARBAUGH!!!! and M ought to be able to fall out of bed and do that. He doesn't need gimmicks.

Comment

I think the camps have had the desired effect. Michigan needed to reestablish itself on the national recruiting scene, especially in the south. Done. Harbaugh doesn't have to win every recruiting battle with every coach in the country. He just needs to fill the gaps left by graduation and attrition.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Harbaugh was a successful NFL head coach and doesn't need gimmicks. It's also not a gimmick if that's what he loves to do.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• One thing that just recently occurred to me is that the camps are good for Michigan coaches. They see so many more kids in person now, and it can't help but improve their ability to pick winners. While other coaches are fishing (nothing wrong with that), the Michigan coaches are working with high school football players.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                        Harbaugh was a successful NFL head coach and doesn't need gimmicks. It's also not a gimmick if that's what he loves to do.
                        Yes. I'm sure if he looked at is a something he HAD to do, and belabored it the whole way, he wouldn't do it. He's crazy. He loves that shit.

Comment

• I'm sure HARBAUGH!!! enjoys doing the camp. That, however, doesn't bear on whether and how much the camps help with recruiting.

Comment

• I am convinced that the camps have two benefits. How much this benefit actually helps with recruiting I have no idea.

1. It allows recruits to see coaches (and their coaching styles) in person and in action without paying or taking the time to go to the campus. So I'm a guy on the fence about considering M? I'll head to the camp two hours away and see before taking a weekend to visit campus.

2. It exposes the M "brand" to a bunch of kids that have not seen M be very relevant for a long time.

Last, and it's not a benefit necessarily, but it is a constant reminder that NO ONE will outwork M coaches and puts recruits and players on notice that is the expectation at M under Jimmy. I think that's helpful to help weed out the folks that don't love football or love to work.
                            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              I'm sure HARBAUGH!!! enjoys doing the camp. That, however, doesn't bear on whether and how much the camps help with recruiting.
                              If you believe Harbaugh, it's not about recruiting.

We all agree the guy beats to a different drummer. He says its about spreading the love of football and that's something worth his time and he loves doing it. It wouldn't surprise me if that's his true motivation --- it's just hard for everyone to accept.

Comment

• I agree with HARBAUGH!!! that they aren't about recruiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X