Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, and to think a few months ago some were predicting the apocalypse for Michigan football with Hoke at the helm. It's pretty obvious the dude is getting M football back on track.

Comment

• Wow, and to think a few months ago some were predicting the apocalypse for Michigan football with Hoke at the helm.
      I was one of them.

But, Hoke has won me over by the people he brought in with him. The hire of Greg Mattison showed me how serious he was about getting this thing back on track. I can't think of anyone who would have been a better defensive coordinator hire. Mattison has the Michigan connection, and absoloutely KNOWS defense. And, he's a recruiting MACHINE. The guy knows how to talk to recruits.

I want Hoke to succeed. He seems to have done everything right so far. We'll see how he does when he's actually on the sideline.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not calling us "back" until I see the team on the field. And even then I won't start fully judging Hoke until next season. But I agree that the early recruiting returns are FAR FAR better than I expected.

Comment

• Can't think of anyone I'd rather have as Michigan's head coach. That includes JH.

Comment

• Mattison deserves a huge assist in helping Hoke rebuild M's reputation, especially among blue chip defensive recruits.

Comment

• While everyone will be quick to point out that it's Mattison bringing in the recruits, let's not forget that he gave a nice pro job to come back and work for Hoke. That's speaks volumes about the respect Mattison has for Hoke. If Greg Mattison believes in the guy I think we can feel pretty safe about the future of football in Ann Arbor.

Comment

• Good point.

Comment

• Yup and with Mattison likely 'fixing' the defense, it should be easier to find his successor.

Comment

• Hoke will still need to be able to recruit offense if he wants to win more than 8 or 9 games. He's got to pull in some blue-chippers at running back, wide receiver, and offensive tackle too. It should be as easy as it gets this year, since the depth chart at those spots is very inviting for an incoming freshman. I'll be disappointed if we don't end up with at least one 4* WR and RB. At receiver, we have an apocalypse approaching that is even worse than the cornerback apocalypse that we experienced in 2010. Albeit at a position where you can get away with it a little easier. Once Roundtree is gone, all that's left is Rodriguez's Sun Belt caliber slot midgets and 3* guys like Jeremy Jackson and DJ Williamson. Assuming DJ even stays, which is up in the air.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; May 4, 2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Jerald Robinson who you forgot to mention is probably the most talented receiver with less than junior eligibility. Jeremy Gallon is a likely guy to stick at slot receiver.

I'd like a blue chip receiver in this class too but there are very few in the midwest so getting one on campus wont' be easy. Burbridge is local and talented but has academic and off the field issues; even if he were very interested in M, I'm not sure they'd take him...

If M doesn't land any blue chip WR's this year, it would make landing one next season easier and elite WR's can make impacts as true freshman.

Comment

• Added a handful of useful recruiting links to the first page, some more useful than others. Most worth checking out every week or two.

Comment

• There's been all this talk about how RR left the program in good shape (implying it wasn't' when he came in - some truth to that but debatable).

Folks should be concerned about OL play. This is a different offense with different blocking schemes and techniques. We are going to find out almost right away how problematic the transition from where Rich took the offense to where Brady will take it. Until I see the offense in action either stalling out or blowing the opponents door off, I won't be convinced if its either good or bad.

The defense is an entirely different matter. I trust Mattison and Hoke here. I think the D is going to be much, much better if what we are hearing is even close to accurate. Like BH has said, he really doesn't know how good the offense is going to be but he does know if the other team can't score on you, you'll probably win. Moreover, the fundamental strength of any defense lies in the DL play. I think M is solid here and the switch to the 4-3 is going to help tremendously. BWC may be a question mark but I'm hoping that works out. LBs may be a questionable but I think the coaching of this unit will be so much improved that that unit will be serviceable. DBs look OK. Overall, there is much less risk on this side of the ball in the transition from RR to BH than there is on the offense.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• OL personnel in the short-term is the least of my concerns on offense, Hoke's/Borges' running game relies heavily on the 'power' play that uses a pulling guard, usually to the strong (tight end) side...

RR's OL personnel is more suited to zone blocking but a good offensive lineman is a good offensive lineman.

Comment

• Well, a good OL is a good one when it gets the repetition it needs using the same language for discussions post practice/games. Reps produce improved play. That's why teams improve, or are supposed to anyway, as the season progresses. When you switch offenses, technique, coaches and language, you start from square one. I think you're underestimating the difficulty of making the transition form RR's offense to BH's, WM.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Talent is there on the OL to be successful (unlike arguably at other positions), they just need like you said the reps, practice and to learn the new techniques/schemes. Of which require more 1-on-1 blocking than previously. For some OL, that (1-on-1 blocking) is preferred, for others it might be a significant learning curve.

Comment

Working...
                                X