Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, the old Tigers forum had a thread devoted to The Varsity. Is there any other beer besides cheap canned beer in the south?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      Man, the old Tigers forum had a thread devoted to The Varsity. Is there any other beer besides cheap canned beer in the south?
      You're talking about the old standard, Coebeer. Which is usually an iced down Bud Light, Coors Light or Natty Light with an occasional Budweiser thrown in for the people that want "high test". Sometimes you'll even see some of them dark beers like Yuengling.

It's coebeer as in, "Reach into that cooler and get me one of them Coebeers".

The beer laws are slowly starting to loosen a bit throughout the Bible Belt and there are a few craft breweries starting to open in Alabama. They make some pretty good beer.

I like most offerings from Good People Brewing in Birmingham.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        You know, I like sass. That's just not funny. Not even remotely. And I like funny. That's like a guy pulling his eyes into a slant and saying "ching-chow, ching-chow." Sure. We get it. It's not that it's offensive or whatever. It's not. It's just not funny. At all. Do better.

Come to think of it, what IS funny is someone from motherfucking Nebraska making hayseed "jokes". In fact, that is pretty hilarious. So, I guess there is something positive in it.

I thought it was funny, but if it hit too close to the mark...well, shit happens.

Comment

• One time I was in Gatlinburg and I wanted to drink something other than Bud or Miller, I happen to find a 6 pack of Moosehead, of all beers, man that crap was skunked.

Comment

• Ha! When I lived in Florida, they had the Labatt's Blue in the import aisle. With an import beer price tag.
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
              I thought it was funny, but if it hit too close to the mark...well, shit happens.
              It didn't hit close to home. It just wasn't funny.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Man, the old Tigers forum had a thread devoted to The Varsity. Is there any other beer besides cheap canned beer in the south?
                We have a couple of very good craft beers here. I'm a big Good People fan and Avondale is excellent.

Only place I see canned beer drank is the pool and the golf course.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

One time I was in Gatlinburg and I wanted to drink something other than Bud or Miller, I happen to find a 6 pack of Moosehead, of all beers, man that crap was skunked.
                  You didn't try too hard. Calhoun's and Smoky Mtn Brewery amoung others have a great selection.

Comment

• I'm not sure if it would be worse to be a beer drinker in the south or in Canada. At least it's cheap in the South. go to the Beer Store and pay 30 bucks for a case.

Comment

I'm not sure if it would be worse to be a beer drinker in the south or in Canada. At least it's cheap in the South. go to the Beer Store and pay 30 bucks for a case.
                      There are some real good breweries popping up in the south.

Creature Comforts in SC is world class as is Cigar City in Tampa. NC is a craft beer mecca and Alabama and Georgia are starting to catch up.

Drinking light beer is a product of the weather. I brew and love IPAs and Pale Ales, but I always have a case of cold Miller Light in my beer fridge.

There is a a time a place for every beer.

Comment

• Perhaps some good craft breweries are popping up in the South. Nearly all the good ones Ive had are in the Northeast, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, or West Coast.

The ones from the South that are readily available in the Midwest (Sweetwater, Shiner (lol), Abita, etc.) tend to be mediocre or suck.

I haven't had a lot a lot but Highland out of Asheville, NC seemed to be ok.

Comment

• When I worked in Orlando for the last few years, we found some good breweries. That Moosehead story was 20 years ago. Back then it was truly two to three beers.

Around the same time we found ourselves in Cleveland County Tennessee and we didn't realize it was dry county. We had to go find a county that did sell alcohol.
                          Last edited by froot loops; January 4, 2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            It didn't hit close to home. It just wasn't funny.
                            Whatever you say brah. :thumbsup:

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              There is a a time a place for every beer.
                              Except Bud Light. It is an affront to decency.

Comment

• Breweries in just the Columbus area (* Being the really good ones IMO)

Actual
                                Barley's
                                Brew Brothers
                                Buckeye Lake
                                Columbus Brewing*
                                Elevator
                                Four Strings
                                Hoof Hearted*
                                Homestead (Newark)*
                                Ill-Mannered
                                Kindred
                                North High