Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 138, 2017 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds like he would be a nice pickup.

Comment

• Gators will announce starting Qb tonight

Comment

• Not sure what is going on here? Is he opening the door for Callaway to play?

McElwain said: To clarify, the suspension from team activities of the 7 guys lasts “till it’s resolved.” Not necessarily through the Michigan game.

Comment

• Which means if someone can help us win, they'll play.

Comment

• Team practice at the stadium 2 days this week.

Comment

• No word on FL starting QB till Monday now (?) Its not going to matter, our D is going to destroy whoever it is.

I think Speight just has to be 'good' and we get the W.

Black and DPJ look outstanding. Crawford is said to having a great camp too. The TE group of Wheatley, McKeon and Bunting are apparently very solid

Comment

• M's very young and inexperienced defense needs to not give up the big play. If they force the Gators to sustain long drives, I like M's chances.

Comment

• I'm not worried about TE at all. I'm not worried about Florida's QB either. Whoever it is will likely be a liability for this game.

What we are hearing about Peters still being behind O'Korn is still troubling. The coaches apparently aren't yet enamored with the corners either.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; August 19, 2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                    M's very young and inexperienced defense needs to not give up the big play. If they force the Gators to sustain long drives, I like M's chances.
                    Florida offense vs M defense, its strength vs strength. Weakness vs weakness.
                    Gators running game with Jordan Scarlett should be a threat. However the Gators would have to run against a the M front 6 + Khaleke Hudson (... we assume M will be great there). A lot of uncertainty what the Gators will get at QB. Franks offers more upside (like playing a Brandon Peters). Zaire has only been good in one college game vs a shit Texas D at home. They do have some explosive and inexperienced sophomore receivers... which makes it a fun matchup vs the talented and inexperienced M secondary.
                    Brown needs to be careful on the blitz calls because that is where the secondary can most likely be exposed.

14 days! ... and fewer (7?) days until the first college games.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• More stluff on McKeon. Note, he got the same reaction when he committed by most that Schoonmaker got. Another soph...

He’s transformed his body, he’s catching everything in sight and he’s extremely smart … even if sophomore tight end Sean McKeon’s name isn’t pronounced like it’s spelled.

“It’s pronounced 'McCune,'” he said Friday night, with a shrug of his shoulders. “You’ll have to ask my grandmother [why].”

No matter how it’s pronounced, this is a name Michigan fans could well hear a lot about this fall. Rumblings started early that McKeon had been one of the pleasant surprises in early camp, showing off great hands and resembling some of U-M’s great pass catching tight ends of the recent past.

He has yet to do it on the field, of course, after hauling in only two passes for 10 yards in four games a year ago, but his teammates say he’s one to watch.

“I think I’ve improved in a lot of areas,” he said. “My motto is try to make your weaknesses your strengths. I come out every day, Coach [Greg] Frey tells us what we need to work on, I just attack that and try to improve any way I can.”

One of his weaknesses from last year has already become a strength.

“I thought at first it was route running. I didn’t do a lot of it in high school,” he said. “When I got here, it was one of my focuses. Now I would say just blocking, all the technique that’s involved in it.

“I’d say my biggest strength now is running routes, catching balls. I’m working to become a complete tight end in all the aspects of the game.”

New tight ends coach Greg Frey has helped in that area, he added. Though McKeon was a relatively unheralded three-star prep, assistant coach Jay Harbaugh had confidence he could play at Michigan … and excel.

Not everyone was as convinced, and McKeon noticed.

“I guess I had a little chip on my shoulder,” he said. “I knew I could play here. Coach Jay had confidence me. That gave me confidence … and so has Coach Frey. He’s been great in teaching new ways of technique and to attack blocking, moving some guys out there. We have a great D-Line to go against, probably one of the best in the nation. It’s been really great to get out there and practice our technique on them, get better every day.

“Making good plays in practice, earning trust in the quarterbaks for them to throw me the ball helped, too.”

He leaned on them all summer, meeting up at the practice field to throw and catch. He’s developed a rapport with all of them, he said, and they all trust each other.

There are even times you’ll see three of the tight ends line up on the field at the same time to throw defenses off.

“I feel the group is really coming along this year,” he said. “We’re going to have a great year.”

NOTES

• There’s no tight end depth chart right now, McKeon said, and that’s by design. Frey has always kept those in-house, and apparently not just from the media.

“He said he won’t tell us until the first game, basically,” McKeon said. "We’re all working hard to get the starting job.”

• McKeon has gone from future engineer to future businessman. He was accepted into the prestigious Ross School of Business this summer.

“My parents were definitely really happy and proud,” he said, noting he’s one of six or seven on the team in the school.

• The defensive line, specifically sophomore end Rashan Gary, has been a great test for the tight ends when it comes to blocking. Sophomore viper linebacker Khaleke Hudson has been huge when it comes to covering.

“It’s really great to go against obviously one of the best in the country. It’s great practice for us getting to go against him, practice technique,” he said. “You don’t want to go better someone easy. We get better every day going against him. It’s great. He’s a great player, works hard, and is becoming a leader on the defense.

“Khaleke is one of the main defenders we go against in the pass game. He’s really good at defending us. It’s always a challenge when he’s out there. He makes us better every day.”

Comment

• Mckeon has certainly passed Wheatley and is challenging Bunting. Tons of praise going his way.

Comment

• Trying to read between the lines on the pressers since camp started .......

Injuries ....... I don't get the sense that anyone is seriously dinged so far. Hope that holds. The submarine is in full force for fall camp and I rather like it. Holds down on unbridled optimism at most M sites.

The defense is going to be great overall but weak at the corners. Teams that can pass-protect are going to get some big plays in the early season games and you can bet opposing OCs will test the CBs.

We're seeing the evolution of a classic Harbaugh football team at M. It's going to try to beat the opponent up at the LOS. Nothing fancy that we will notice from the stands or on TV but the complexity of what the OL and TEs will be doing on run plays is going to be high and intended to make runs hard to defend for opponents.

WRs are getting a lot of positive press. From what we know of them, that's probably not fall camp hype. Can Speight get the long ball to open receivers? TBD.

Speight is going to start. I don't think there is any question on that. If he can protect the ball and not give up INTs the O will be fine. I think his passing game is going to be rough out of the gate because of pass-pro issues and his scrambling around will give rise to some bad throws. On the plus side, coaches have gone out of there way to talk about how improved pass-pro from the backs is, Isaac has gotten special mention a number of times, and how important improvement is to M's 2017 success or lack thereof.

The running game may be unique in that it appears there are a lot of packages based on the skill sets of the 4 backs likely to get live snaps. Who starts will have more to do with the play call for that play than an indication of who is #1 on the depth chart.

The OL starters are pretty much set but, again, I'm not sure that means a lot in terms of the depth chart. It's hard to keep guys like Ruiz off the field. If JBB struggles at the RT position we'll probably see some rotation there which will mean rotation on the interior as well.

We are going to miss the lock down catching ability of Peppers on STs. It's hard to tell from comments in the pressers who the guy who will replicate Peppers solidness in that area is. That's a bit troublesome to me.

The kicking game should be solid.
                          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 22, 2017, 12:09 PM.
                          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Very interesting article by Bill Connelly - the Five Factors guy.

I lifted a cliff notes of the article from mgoblog. Here it is:

If you can't read it, he basically says the following:

When he initally came out with his five factors in January 2014, he said: "Big plays are probably the single most important factor to winning football games."

His reasoning was that while a 20 play 80 yard drive was the ideal outcome, they rarely happen. When offenses, especially in college, are on the field for that long they tend to make drive killing plays (turnovers, penalties, big loses, etc.) more often than not. Big plays reduce the amount of plays an offense is on the field, reduce chances for drive killing plays, and are thus paramount to a team's success.

While the general idea still remains, he walks back a good amount on that in this article. He draws a lot of comparisons to Ken Pomeroy's thoughts on 3 point defense where KenPom says the best 3 point defense is preventing 3 pointers from being taken as 3 point percentages are random as a whole.

In this case, Bill C. shows that according to his data big plays happen at the same rate no matter the down and distance. With this in mind, and looking at his data for Success Rate, PPP and isoPPP, he comes up with the following major conclusions:

"If big plays can happen on any down at any rate, the key to creating explosive plays is an efficient offense. The more plays you're on the field, the larger chance you have of creating big plays."

and

"Efficiency is everything in CFB. Explosiveness is too random to rely on without efficiency. Unless you're Penn State anyway"

While this seems pretty obvious in theory, the data behind it is very cool and it's a big change in philosophy from his old idea of "efficiency doesn't matter, just make big plays."

That last sentence about PSU is also a mini shot at them, supporting any PSU naysayers who think their offense last year was too random/luck oriented to sustain success at the same rate this year.

The section in bold from the mgoblog poster gives rise to the value of being able to run 14 play 80 yard drives. I'll still acknowledge that teams optimized for spready concepts utilizing high tempo offenses do the same thing (rack up large numbers of plays on offense increasing the likelihood that a big play will occur). However, in recent years the idea of power offenses seemed to fade as the spready ones seemed to win a lot of games. Maybe the data supports the notion now that you can increase the liklihood of big plays running either offense...... but I'm biased, of course.
                            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 22, 2017, 12:15 PM.
                            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Cornerback is major area of concern following Zordich press conference which was quickly followed by exit of Washington. This much drama is unusual. Let's hope the coaching staff and players get their acts together. Not really cool to be criticizing players in public at this point in the season.

Comment

• James Hudson makes the move to OT. He was getting early props at dt, so they must really like him on offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X