Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    When I see Hannibal again, I think I'm going to get him in a headlock for about 2 minutes or so. He's really been a grouch lately ... :-)
    In other words, he's back to normal!

Speaking of grouches, though, where's Jamie H been hiding out? Haven't seen him posting in about 2 months, since he and OP got into it with each other

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Nope. I like GR. Just pointing out that half the current roster should be riding a bus somewhere.
      no offense, Mike---as it is, I was just playing with ya

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
        Yes its all good, in some ways there needs to be some competitive banter, though I think me and Mike are the ones who really are the most passionate here about this game (along with OP).

Oh and Hannibal too :-)

Packy ,we have been having this battle since the Forum joined WorldCrossing. As you know, I am dual-national, Michigan alumnus and staunchly support Canadian & American Hockey , although a Canuck by birth.

Once Yzerman retired, along with their massive influx of European players, I became less of a Wings fan... although frankly there is not a better game on the planet, IMO!....and nothing can top a (Canada Cup/WorldCup/Olympics) sudden-death tournament played by the best players in the world from each of their respective countries.
        Last edited by Optimus Prime; March 25, 2012, 01:03 PM.
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• although frankly there is not a better game on the planet,

ITA

Comment

• Well Packy, it's on tonight. Lowly Columbus heads to the JOE, if the Wings screw this up, seriously trouble on deck...otherwise a rout.

PS Sid looked good last night, while they kicked NJ (formidable foe) 's ass, 5-2. Playing third line with Kennedy & Cooke, can't wait to DB to cut him loose.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• 15 years ago tonight

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlWMitUqMNo"]NHL Greatest Rivalries Vol 5:3/26/97: Colorado Avalanche vs Detroit Red Wings - YouTube[/ame]
              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Great memory. What a rivalry that was!

Wings win 7-2, clinching a playoff spot and extending their record for consecutive years. Filppula, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and yes, Datsyuk all +2.

Comment

• great game ... but I my favorite game with Roy was still his statue of liberty gaffe

Comment

• 3/26/97: Probably the greatest regular season game in Red Wing history.

Comment

• Tony, I'm watching the full video you posted and they just announced that Mike Knuble was playing his first ever NHL game. How's that for an intro to the big-time!? Aaron Ward was also in uniform for the Red Wings. Holmstrom and Lidstrom are the only two players from that game still playing, I'm 99.9% sure.

To this day I feel so bad for Mickey Redmond that he missed the brawl at the end of the first. For those that haven't heard the story, Mickey was doing the interviews during intermission and just before the big fight broke out he headed down the stairwell from the press box to ice level. He heard all the commotion and knew something big was going down but missed the whole thing! 'Ol Mick would have been jumping out of the press box!

What a difference 15 years makes. This game was played before the media proliferation of hockey, back in the PASS days before Fox Sports Detroit. Very few people I knew had PASS, a pay subscription service for local Michigan sports. I remember being at a friend's house the night of this game (without access to the TV broadcast). On my drive home I heard Valeri Kamensky complete his hat-trick for a 5-3 Colorado lead in the third period. I figured it was over. Another loss to the goddamn Avalanche and I changed the station in disgust. Then the next morning, as I was getting ready for work, SportsCenter led with the game highlights and I watched in awe of what had transpired. It may sound corny now but this was one of those games that makes a city/state take immense pride in their hometown team. This was the buzz around town for a long time. Every hockey fan in the state of Michigan walked into work the next morning feeling like they could punch the boss in the face, kiss the pretty secretary, have 3 scotches at lunch and go home early. A truly great time to be a Red Wings fan.
                      Last edited by Mike; March 28, 2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• I think you're right, Mike.

Pussy Scandanavians......:-)

Comment

• There is no greater evil in this world than Claude "Douche Nozzle" Lemueix. I probably spelled his last name wrong... and he's not Scandinavian... but I don't care. He is what he is.

AND it was Mike Vernon's 300th win!
                          Last edited by Mike; March 28, 2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• He doesn't deserve to have his name spelled correctly.
                            Last edited by Paul L; March 28, 2012, 07:14 AM.
                            Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Those Canadians are horrible.

Comment

• That was Canadian on Canadian violence.

Comment

Working...
                                X