Happy Lions Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Lions Memories

Marko 69 suggested we have a thread giving all of us opportunities to post our favorite Lions memories. It can be any good memory you associate with being a Lions fan. No off topic or negative posts please! Just good old stories to bring a smile to our faces. Have at it and post as often as you wish. Let`s make this a good thread to re-read time and again.

Barry Sanders.

Comment

The only one I can remember is when Elsa and her cubs recognise Joy and George after being returned to the wild
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Getting the autograph of Leon Hart at the back of a huge Cathedral downtown (forgotten the name of the Cathedral,) but it`s the Church we went to before every Lions game, because the usher. Johnnie Reedy always had my dad`s tickets.
        Last edited by The Cat; January 6, 2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I met Jahvid Best and got a photo with him. He was so nice and down to earth! I never shared the photo because I hate hate HATE how badly I look in it, but was happy to meet him.

Have also met Jason Hanson, Drew Stanton, Shaun Hill, Calvin Johnson, and Caleb Campbell - all at different events. I was cut off on the road in separate incidents by Louis Delmas and Tom Lewand. I also ran into Lewand at a nearby 7-11.

My favorite Lions memory was the first Forum Game I attended back in 2001 at the Silverdome against the Titans. I had such a wonderful time that day meeting everyone and finally being with fellow Lions fans!! (I had lived in Packer country back then.) The Lions lost that game but it was still fun and the tailgating was superb!!

Barry Sanders' highlight reels are my favorite in-game memories. Watching him was something I looked forward to each week.

Similar feelings about Mel Gray.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

I got tickets for my first lions game my junior year in college for week 16 December 18rd, 1983 from a hot girl at Ohio State who couldn't go because she had to go to a Christmas party back in Michigan instead. She even game me a parking pass. Driving to the game from Cincinnati we learned on WJR that Billy Sims' contract from the Houston Gamblers (USFL) was null and void and he would be a lion for five more years. (the guy signed TWO contracts with two teams!). Great news!!!!!!

The game started at 4pm. Earlier the Bears beat GB on a late FG , clinching the division for the Lions. They announced the score and the silverdome went crazy.

The lions came back and won 23-20 and won their first division title since 1957. We ran on the field and tore down the goal posts and raised them off the field and tried to get them out the revolving silverdome exits. They wouldn't fit. So we (myself and about twenty new friends) dropped them in the lobby and ran back down to the field.

I stood at midfield , looked up at the roof of the silverdome and said," well they finally did it!" I had been a die hard since 1974 and never saw a division title. They choked in 1980 and 1981 and I never considered 1982 to be a "true" playoff team because they got in in a strike- shortened season with a 4-5 record with an opening round of 16! playoff teams.

Amongst all the screaming and chaos I saw an old man next to me (I was 21 at the time) crying. He was probably my age now. I shook his hand and he said "It's been a LONG time, young man!"

I picked up a banner next to the sidelines (it was jumbled in a pile) and didn't read it until I got home that night. It said Buccaneers Suck, go Lions. The "B" in Buccaneers had an "F" in darker paint subtly placed over it. Mom told me I couldn't keep it in the house but I could take it back to Ohio State after Christmas break.

I have kept the ticket in my wallet for thirty three years now.

Last edited by Dan V; January 6, 2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I told this story many years back on the forum. It in fact came from a sister ten years my elder. It was 1943 and I was still inside my mom. My sister would tell me when I was old enough to appreciate the tale that on this November Sunday we iwere n the throes of one of the worst snow storms in years. We lived in the country and could only enjoy lions games on the radio. BUT, on this Sunday we had no power and were snowed in . My sister vividly recalls my Dad leaving the house, walking down our 100 yard driveway then disappearing in the snow as he stumbled up the road. Some two hours later he was back at home having arrived on a buggy powered by two horses he borrowed from a neighbor.
              My sister recalls being bundled up, placed in the carriage and warned to hang on tight while my dad made the hike to the downtown area, more specifically to the six storey Hotel London, owned by his cousin Joe.
              Alas the huge generator made this Sunday special. The lions game was coming though static and all and the drinks were plentiful.

Dan seeing that ticket in the above post was marvelous.
              Last edited by The Cat; January 6, 2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                I met Jahvid Best and got a photo with him. He was so nice and down to earth! I never shared the photo because I hate hate HATE how badly I look in it, but was happy to meet him.

Have also met Jason Hanson, Drew Stanton, Shaun Hill, Calvin Johnson, and Caleb Campbell - all at different events. I was cut off on the road in separate incidents by Louis Delmas and Tom Lewand. I also ran into Lewand at a nearby 7-11.

My favorite Lions memory was the first Forum Game I attended back in 2001 at the Silverdome against the Titans. I had such a wonderful time that day meeting everyone and finally being with fellow Lions fans!! (I had lived in Packer country back then.) The Lions lost that game but it was still fun and the tailgating was superb!!

Barry Sanders' highlight reels are my favorite in-game memories. Watching him was something I looked forward to each week.

Similar feelings about Mel Gray.
                Tremendous Deb, I can tell you are a TRUE fan!

Comment

Originally posted by The Cat View Post
                  I told this story many years back on the forum. It in fact came from a sister ten years my elder. It was 1943 and I was still inside my mom. My sister would tell me when I was old enough to appreciate the tale that on this November Sunday we iwere n the throes of one of the worst snow storms in years. We lived in the country and could only enjoy lions games on the radio. BUT, on this Sunday we had no power and were snowed in . My sister vividly recalls my Dad leaving the house, walking down our 100 yard driveway then disappearing in the snow as he stumbled up the road. Some two hours later he was back at home having arrived on a buggy powered by two horses he borrowed from a neighbor.
                  My sister recalls being bundled up, placed in the carriage and warned to hang on tight while my dad made the hike to the downtown area, more specifically to the six storey Hotel London, owned by his cousin Joe.
                  Alas the huge generator made this Sunday special. The lions game was coming though static and all and the drinks were plentiful.

Dan seeing that ticket in the above post was marvelous.
                  great story, I can visualize the horses , the hotel, etc kinda like Mayberry and the Andy Griffith Show

Comment

Being at Barry's 2000 yard game was pretty cool
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

'78 Silverdome vs Vikings. Owned for an entire decade by the Purple People Eaters the Lions made our entire section ring out boos louder than those heard for Millen when the Lions took a knee to end the game - we wanted a 50 spot as bad as we wanted Carter out of office.

Never felt that kind of high after a game since. Good times, even in a season that was long over.

Comment

Suck my big Lion dick, Cowgirls

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCdCWB1LM[/ame]

Comment

Runner up:

1983 Thanksgiving Day in Germany in the NCO Club, primed and so sure the Lions were going to win I gave Pittsburgh and 14. Had no shortage of takers. People thought I lost my mind (I did too when I sobered up later). You should have seen the look on their faces when the Lions were up 24-3 at the half - priceless.

2 months removed from getting called out on alert when the Korean jet liner got shot down and we didn't know if the balloon really was going up - enjoyed every minute of life for a long time after that.

Comment

Actually this has to be my favorite video

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Twmj97j8QmM[/ame]

Comment

Thursday night game against the Packers in 1998. A forgettable season, but this was Chazz Batch's 3rd or 4th start (so riding a bit of a hope wave with him) and Barry ripped off a 70 yard TD and 155 total. Would have been an even bigger night for him, as he had an 80-yard TD later in the game, but it got called back on a non-existent holidng call. Still, good times.

We then ran into Batch that weekend as he was in Kalamazoo for the Western/Eastern game at WMU homecoming. He got a big cheer from the crowd.

Comment

Working...
                              X