No announcement yet.

Forumites and their Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Weren't you the one who left his dog tied out in the yard when you had to work? A crate would have been a much safer and humane place for your dog, assuming he could adjust to it."
    ------------------------------------------Yep. He had several areas to explore. A house to go into, food, water, etc. He wasn't in a cage where he couldn't move. Please explain to me the benefits of throwing your dog into a cage where they can't move, is better than a chain.

I do get a kick out of the "dog lovers" thinking it's better to throw your dog into a confined space where they can't move, as opposed to a lengthy chain where they actually have some freedom. I'd really love to hear why that's better.
    Last edited by DanO; January 8, 2014, 05:39 PM.
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Some info from one source:

Providing your puppy or dog with an indoor kennel crate can satisfy many dogs' need for a den-like enclosure. Besides being an effective housebreaking tool (because it takes advantage of the dog's natural reluctance to soil its sleeping place), it can also help to reduce separation anxiety, to prevent destructive behavior (such as chewing furniture), to keep a puppy away from potentially dangerous household items (i.e., poisons, electrical wires, etc.), and to serve as a mobile indoor dog house which can be moved from room to room whenever necessary.

A kennel crate also serves as a travel cabin for you dog when travelling by car or plane. Additionally, most hotels which accept dogs on their premises require them to be crated while in the room to prevent damage to hotel furniture and rugs.

Most dogs which have been introduced to the kennel crate while still young grow up to prefer their crate to rest in or "hang-out" in. Therefore a crate (or any other area of confinement) should NEVER be used for the purpose of punishment.

We recommend that you provide a kennel crate throughout your dog's lifetime. Some crates allow for the removal of the door once it is no longer necessary for the purpose of training. The crate can be placed under a table, or a table top can be put on top of it to make it both unobtrusive and useful.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I am thinking that even though when I got my doggie, a crate was not used for punishment but rather, a source of control by me. She thought differently. She did soil her cage every day she was left in it.

I looked her in the eye and told her I would leave her out as long as she was a good girl (and I am not saying she understood what I was saying but,) I have had no problems since.........(that is, except she likes to run and given the chance will run free and not listen to verbal or any commands).

I am lucky because she is really smart and does not soil our living space and in fact, comes to me and asks for times of liberation (or potty time).
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• "Some info from one source:"
          -------------------------------------I don't really give a shit about what "sites" say. It's so amazing to me that you applaud caging an animal for several hrs. rather than chaining them.

Tell me why YOU think it's a better idea to cage a dog for numerous hrs.? I think it's BULLSHIT!
          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Okay Dan, you are being a dick for no reason. I'm not applauding anything and I don't leave animals in a cage for "several hours" as you assUme. I've already told you why it's better. I also posted information that explains further why it's better. I'm sorry you are not open to anything other than what's in your head. You admit you've never tried it, you have demonstrated your complete ignorance about it, and are unwilling to read any facts about it. Therefore, I'm not willing to engage with you any further regarding this.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Wow. Your just one big fucking ray of sunshine, aren't you Dano?

Our experience has been exactly like CGVT's. Much like how newborns like to be swaddled, puppies seem to like the security of the crate. Our dog will go in there to nap sometimes when we are home. When the timing is right we will lose the crate, but we aren't there yet - he just turned 1 about 3 weeks ago.
              "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
                Wow. Your just one big fucking ray of sunshine, aren't you Dano?

Our experience has been exactly like CGVT's. Much like how newborns like to be swaddled, puppies seem to like the security of the crate. Our dog will go in there to nap sometimes when we are home. When the timing is right we will lose the crate, but we aren't there yet - he just turned 1 about 3 weeks ago.
                There is really no reason to lose the crate, K. The dog will feel more secure in it and you know that when you are not home that he is safe and not getting into anything.

It's peace of mind for you and the dog.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• My dog loves her crate. Goes in it on her own quite often throughout a day.
                  Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by kayrone View Post
                    Wow. Your just one big fucking ray of sunshine, aren't you Dano?

I laugh when I hear about people swaddling infants. It's much better to put them on a chain outside.
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                      My dog loves her crate. Goes in it on her own quite often throughout a day.
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                        I laugh when I hear about people swaddling infants. It's much better to put them on a chain outside.
                        <spits coffee>
                        "I ain't the type to bitch, I ain't the type to cry, I will sit at your red light and wait for your shit to go by."

Comment

Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                            "Some info from one source:"
                            -------------------------------------I don't really give a shit about what "sites" say. It's so amazing to me that you applaud caging an animal for several hrs. rather than chaining them.

Tell me why YOU think it's a better idea to cage a dog for numerous hrs.? I think it's BULLSHIT!
                            When I was a Lieutenant, my next door nieghbor kept his dog in the backyard chained. I came home one night to find his dog had jumped the fence, the lead wasn't long enough to make it to the ground - he hung himself. Never seen a dog hang himself in a crate. Any other questions?

Comment

I prefer velcro on the wall and a velcro jumpsuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
                                When I was a Lieutenant, my next door nieghbor kept his dog in the backyard chained. I came home one night to find his dog had jumped the fence, the lead wasn't long enough to make it to the ground - he hung himself. Never seen a dog hang himself in a crate. Any other questions?
                                This is true. But if the people who crate their dogs for a few hours......, put a rope in there before heading out. You just never know.

There is a comedy sketch in there somewhere. A person in a dog suit......, gets put in a cage then the owner goes out......., dog says, "Right that's it, fk this. Where's that rope. This'll teach those cnts not to put any future dogs in this fkn cage." Dog fumbles with rope until owner comes home two hours later. Owner says, "Hey buster, how you doing? You playing with yer rope boy?" ....., dog says, "Fk you and your "Hey buster" Shyte. I was gonna kill myself in here you know."
                                Walkies Buster? Come on boy! Let's go Walkies. Or you wanna go a ride in the car to the park fir BIG Walkies?
                                "Yeah, park will do. I'm gonna shit in your car you bstd."
                                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X