Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
    Did McCarty beat their asses? I don't remember.
    And again, I think you (like others) are mistaking lack of opportunity for lack of courage. It wasn't that Lemieux was scared (he was more than willing to play whack a knee with his stick, for example) but the Wings NEVER gave him the chance for such a hit after that.

Remember how Pronger took a run at Yzerman's knees? Then in the playoffs that year... tried it AGAIN? Why didn't the "frontier justice" stop him? Oh... because he was paid to be a thug... and the threat of someone punching him wasn't going to ruin that payday.

Fighting doesn't do what you think it does. Sorry.

Comment

Fighting someone man to man is a deterrent to just about anything you wish it to be. When someone is made aware that he will have to fight you again in order to continue a behavior, they think twice, and most times they quit said behavior, especially if you've beaten their ass over it.

That's time tested.

Also, when McCarty beat Lemeiux' ass, he didn't do it to control his antics for the league's sake, only for the RWs sake. He did it to get him back for something he did to a RW the season before. It was a statement and you can believe Lemeiux heard it.
      RW?

He did it to get back for Draper.

Who is RW?
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Who fought Pronger? I don't remember seriously. IIRC, Pronger went after Yzerman as time expired in the game, but he ended up hurting himself instead.

I didn't say beating a guys ass turns him into a sniveling flinching pussy. I said it makes them think twice. And it does.
        ------------
        <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• RW = Red Wings?
          ------------

Comment

• Also, when McCarty beat Lemeiux' ass, he didn't do it to control his antics for the league's sake, only for the RWs sake. He did it to get him back for something he did to a RW the season before. It was a statement and you can believe Lemeiux heard it.
            Uhhhh are you talking about McCarty vs Lemiux or someone vs Yzerman?

Probert is the one that was Yzermans protector.

Comment

Who fought Pronger? I don't remember seriously. IIRC, Pronger went after Yzerman as time expired in the game, but he ended up hurting himself instead.

I didn't say beating a guys ass turns him into a sniveling flinching pussy. I said it makes them think twice. And it does.
              Who cares if it makes them think a hundred times if they still wind up taking the cheap shot at the end of the day?

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                Then how to you explain Chris Pronger and Steve Marchant and other goons throughout the years?

When you are paid to rough up people (and many of these thugs were and still are), someone punching you isn't going to make you stop.

Any goon worth his salt isn't going to care enough to listen to that "statement."
                Pronger is not a goon, he has talent to go along with his size.

Goons have a code. You don't mess with their talent and they don't mess with yours. When that line does get crossed, they get busy and attack.
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• ...and I don't remember anyone on the RW specifically fighting Pronger. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's just that, if nobody on the Red Wings fought him, how is fighting supposed to do anything to him, and be part of your argument that fighting does nothing?

Uhhhh are you talking about McCarty vs Lemiux or someone vs Yzerman?
                  Yes, McCarty and Lemeiux.
                  ------------

Comment

• chemiclord bring up Pronger is a joke, in his day he was one of the top 3 defenseman in the NHL - Hated by Red Wing fans - very much, especially with the Blues (till he got hit with that puck) far from a goon

Bout time!!

DETROIT -- Red Wings blow out Bruins

Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg, Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar each a goal and an assist in the Detroit Red Wings' 6-1 victory against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night.

Justin Abdelkader and Drew Miller and also scored for Detroit. Johan Franzen had three assists, Joakim Andersson two assists and Jonas Gustavsson made 16 saves.

Comment

• Pronger's skill as a defenseman (which yes is HoF caliber) is not the point. The point is that he was more than willing to take a cheap shot if it was available (i.e. his targeting of Yzerman's knees), and that the chance he might have to "answer" for it in a fight was NOT a deterrent in the slightest.

Fighting and the "brutes" have their place in the game. It's a way of establishing dominance, it's intimidation, it puts a physical stamp of superiority on the opponent when your big guy thumps the other big guy. What it DOESN'T do is dissuade goons from taking a run at a person or targeting "weak points" on other players to try and remove them from the game. It's NEVER done that, and it NEVER will. The very long history of cheap-shot artists throughout the years of the NHL demonstrates such.

Comment

• Got it. Fighting can establish dominance and intimidation over entire teams, but does nothing to the lowly goon on the squad. Fine.

Thankfully, the overall intent is to dominate entire teams. I'll continue to argue that beating the fuck out of a goon keeps him from turning the table and stealing that dominance.
                        ------------

Comment

• Wow. Crazy looking shorty goal from Helm. Mustache power.
                          Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/multimedia/gallery.php?id=17092

Red Wings alumni practice
                            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Franzen and Tatar scored third-period goals and the Wings beat the Devils 3-1

New Jersey coach Pete DeBoer announced right wing Damien Brunner would be a healthy scratch again. Brunner, signed to a two-year, $2.5 million during training camp, has not scored a goal since Oct. 26, a stretch of 16 games is a major disappointment to New Jersey

BUST! Told Ya!

Comment

• He would not be a bust on the Wings.

Did Cleary score?

Comment

Working...
                                X