No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah.. 1080i must be what I look at (and most of us).

You can definitely tell that from 720 though.
    Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
      Ah.. 1080i must be what I look at (and most of us).

You can definitely tell that from 720 though.
      I can't tell. I guess with the big tv it makes a difference.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
        I get 4 1080p channels with just an antenna (sadly not fox though... no lions games for me!).
        Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
        VIZIO

#1 in LCD HDTV
        Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        I have a Sony and a Vizio. I am happy with both.
        I think your cable provider is wrong...

But with a set under 40 inches, I would be more concerned with refresh rate
        Agree. I would probably go for both. In a 32" you can get a pretty good price without breaking the bank.

BTW, I found this:

In the United States, 1080p over-the-air broadcasts still do not exist as of 2010; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. However, satellite service has many channels that utilize the 1080p/24-30 format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoding (e.g. DirecTV, XstreamHD, and Dish Network).

So it looks to me as if the cable companies don't broadcast in 1080p but the satellite companies do. (I have DTV)

I have a 46" Sony (120 hz, 150k:1 contrast) and a 32" Vizio (60 hz, 12k:1 contrast ratio) There is a large difference in picture, due to both of those specs. Fast moving objects on the screen have a slightly visible blur on the Vizio, which is non-existent on the Sony. But I am extremely satisfied with both products in relation to their age/price paid. Point being, you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine has worked for Sears (in the electronics dept) and Best Buy and he's told me on several occasions that, on the floor, they adjust the display settings on the televisions to make certain models look better than others to increase sales of those televisions. So, if you're shopping for televisions, ask a sales associate to switch the televisions which interest you to the default display settings before comparing picture quality.

And I'm not surprised my cable company lied to me...they have a near monopoly in this area and don't plan on giving that up by telling people that a satellite provider offers a better picture than they do.
        "Low on the totem, till he showed 'em defiance, giant scrotum"

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
          I can't tell. I guess with the big tv it makes a difference.

Depends on your personal eyesight. I have excellent vision, so I'll see things, like "trails", that someone with average vision won't see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweatpants Murphy View Post
            Depends on your personal eyesight. I have excellent vision, so I'll see things, like "trails", that someone with average vision won't see.
            Exactly

Its the vertigo I ref'd.

SAMSUNG and MITSU are well known for that problem with certain people that see well (aka rainbow effect from their DLP HDTV's)
            Last edited by Panoptes; December 15, 2010, 10:06 PM.
            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
              Exactly

Its the vertigo I ref'd.

SAMSUNG and MITSU are well known for that problem with certain people that see well (aka rainbow)

ah...didn't catch that reference. True story though.

Comment

• A friend of mine has worked for Sears (in the electronics dept) and Best Buy and he's told me on several occasions that, on the floor, they adjust the display settings on the televisions to make certain models look better than others to increase sales of those televisions.
                Reminds me of a friend that managed a Foot Locker store. I was talking to him about selling shoes, fitting runners etc etc. He laughed and said the only factor determing what shoe was right for a person was whether he had it in stock or not. That was a bit of an eye opener...
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Reminds me of a friend that managed a Foot Locker store. I was talking to him about selling shoes, fitting runners etc etc. He laughed and said the only factor determing what shoe was right for a person was whether he had it in stock or not. That was a bit of an eye opener...

That's poor salesmanship and laziness. If I don't have something in stock for a customer, I'll get it for them. There are plenty of options for me to get whatever it is within 30 minutes. It's not like I have to manufacture the product for them...I make a phone call and go get it for you.

Comment

• I think SAMSUNG and MITSU may have cleaned up their DLP rainbow effect issues in 2009 so they could be on the right track now.

I still wouldn't touch their gear.

My issue is that my Sony Tv's want to live forever and it is so hard to move on from multi thousand dollar units into another one just because the tech changed some.
                    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweatpants Murphy View Post
                      That's poor salesmanship and laziness. If I don't have something in stock for a customer, I'll get it for them. There are plenty of options for me to get whatever it is within 30 minutes. It's not like I have to manufacture the product for them...I make a phone call and go get it for you.
                      Eh. Not a big deal. I think it is about working for a commission and putting food on the table. Do you really think the kid wanting a pair of kicks for 50 bucks was going to wait at Footlocker for a half hour for shoes to come from across town when he could just walk past the food court to the next sporting goods store and buy what ever they had there? If the customer walks out of the store, he's not coming back. I don't blame the guy, but by the same token, I don't let anyone "sell" me anything either.
                      Last edited by CGVT; December 15, 2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Eh. Not a big deal. I think it is about working for a commission and putting food on the table. Do you really think the kid wanting a pair of kicks for 50 bucks was going to wait at Footlocker for a half hour for shoes to come from across town when he could just walk past the food court to the next sporting goods store and buy what ever they had there? If the customer walks out of the store, he's not coming back. I don't blame the guy, but by the same token, I don't let anyone "sell" me anything either.

point taken...I guess I was trying to compare apples to oranges.

Comment

• If you're looking for the right running shoe, steer clear of the footlocker type stores.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            If you're looking for the right running shoe, steer clear of the footlocker type stores.
                            Absolutely.

Finding a store that specializes in running is the best way to go and even then you need to educate yourself before you go.

Of course, the point of my post was caveat emptor...

Comment

• I pretty much just find a model I like and keep on buying them. Asics 2100s, (I think its up to 2160). Although I have a Nike Triax pair that lasted a long time, I might check them out again.

Comment

• I'm the same way, Loops. I wear the Asic Gel Cumulus. I buy the old models on line at a significant saving from the latest model.

I always recommend that a new runner go to a good running store and get fitted for the proper shoe, though. (and you are correct, Footlocker doesn't fail into the good running store category...)

Comment

Working...
                                X