Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 138, 2017 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think there is enough hard evidence out there to question the play calling.

O'Korn did some really deep drops v. PSU in the hope of giving him time to survey the field and the play to develop. This despite the fact that the OL doesn't pass block very well. The worst part of this play design was that the RBs and TEs were put in max protect, taking them out as outlet receivers. So, O'Korn was left with the option of chucking it mindlessly down field or taking a sack.

While O'Korn was victimized by drops on a number of screens, shorter passes to slot receivers and TEs gave way to more failed attempts at the deep ball or IZ runs off a worthless PA into a defense with the Ss routinely up near the LOS. PSU could do this because there was virtually no threat from the PA. It was simply ignored if attempted. We saw little offensive adjustment to this reality.

Maybe most discouragingly, we're not seeing the constraints or counters, the misdirection plays, that can routinely screw with aggressive defenses that bring their Ss up. To a team, that is exactly what opponents have done v. M's offense but play calling appears not to be taking advantage of this????

Certainly, the play calling cabal, whoever that involves, took a hit when Speight went down (disregarding that Speight did not look good in early games where he did play). The WRs, while talented, lack the experience to get separation from decent CBs or Ss. They also can't consistently catch the ball .... yet. So, there are some reality related mitigating factors.

Because of that, I'm not in the crowd calling for their firing but they damn well need to be held accountable by their HC. We can not know if that is happening. So all I can do is uselessly wave my arms.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Your offensive play calling wasn't good, but your problem was defensively. They came out flat as a pancake and got exposed early. Any offensive game plan they had was rendered irrelevant by this.

Offensively, you don't have a good QB, you don't have a good line and you have underwhelming skill position players. You have to Tresselball against good teams, there are probably some issues with how they are calling plays but it you had a Saquon Barkley to hand it off to, it would look a hell of a lot better.
      Last edited by froot loops; October 24, 2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Concur. Nittany Lions repeatedly attacked wherever they had the matchup advantage and kept winning one-on-one battles against Don Brown and his safeties/linebackers. I thought it was his worst schemed defense by a good margin.

Comment

• It would be great to have a milkcow back, but furthermore we can't Tressellball with a punter who can't pin the other team inside the 20 when given the opportunity. I agree this was Don Brown's worst day at Michigan, but the other argument is that with this fucking offense (and punter) maybe you see your only shot at it through creating turnovers. Give us that Hudson pick-six and maybe things are a bit different. I don't think so, but just playing devil's advocate.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            Your offensive play calling wasn't good, but your problem was defensively. They came out flat as a pancake and got exposed early. Any offensive game plan they had was rendered irrelevant by this.

Offensively, you don't have a good QB, you don't have a good line and you have underwhelming skill position players. You have to Tresselball against good teams, there are probably some issues with how they are calling plays but it you had a Saquon Barkley to hand it off to, it would look a hell of a lot better.
            Well, of course .......

I don't think the D "came out flat." Brown got out schemed by Moorehead big time. The bye week allowed Moorehead to put in the direct snap plays to Barkley and others that I'm not smart enough to pick out. But M's D doesn't get had like they did on the first two PSU TDs without that offense showing shit they had never seen.

That's what happened and those plays took advantage of Brown's aggressiveness to have his LBs flow to the playside by running McSorely and Barkley on misdirection plays. It was a great job of surprising the shit out of Brown's D.

Strategically, PSU wanted to jump on top fast and make M play from behind. They did that .... perfectly. They were close to being up 21-0 until Long intercepted McSorely and M closed the gap to 1 point.

The PSU drive to end the half and put PSU up by 8 coupled with the 3 and out by M to open the 3rd allowing PSU's next score doomed M. PSU was contiuing to force M to play from behind - something they would never to be able to do becasue of the limitations you noted. I've not looked closely enough at PSU's last drive of the 2nd but I suspect that was just shitty luck on perfectly thrown moon balls. Probably the same on PSU's first score in the 3rd. PSU executed, M didn't simple as that.

Obviously, this game is different if it's a rock fight. PSU prevented that from happening. Credit to them..... not to mention Barkley played like he is supposed to play - really well.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• The thing I find depressing is that Harbaugh, the quarterback-whisperer, has not yet recruited an elite level QB, nor has he developed one (Ruddick aside). His QBs have been two transfers and one Hoke recruit.

Personally, I'd go after the Georgia QB (Eason?) who lost his job to a freshman. Georgia has an elite QB verballed for this year too.

Comment

• You have only a few QBs on the roster, and in Michigan's case less than that because Hoke was a fucking idiot. I'm disappointed in that too. Malzone's still on the roster. He can't be at least serviceable right now? It makes no sense. It doesn't jive with what we know and with Harbaugh's track record before he arrived here. More alarming though is the RB and OL situations. Something is very wront with this approach to the offense. Not just scheme, but player development. Brandon Watson is a great example of player development. Hill and Long have come in as true sophmores and been fanstastic. Bush has blown up. Hurst, etc. etc. At almost every single position on the defense there are guys who have come in and been very well coached at their positions and it's shown on the field. The complete opposite is true for the offense. Nobody's ready early and nobody's ready on time, and nobody's a late bloomer either.

Comment

• Marcus Ray went off on the coaching staff - including Harbaugh - on WTKA this morning. It was an epic rant.

Comment

• I'm interested to see how Coach Harbaugh and the team react to this adversity. They say ?Adversity does not build character, it reveals it.? What shall be revealed?

They have a couple of easier games coming up, let's see if he can get them to refocus and show improvement. Find your backbone for next season, what will that team hang their hat on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by paul daugherity View Post
                      Marcus Ray went off on the coaching staff - including Harbaugh - on WTKA this morning. It was an epic rant.
                      Yeah, unlike Sam & Ira who make excuses and belittle any fans who call in to complain. Marcus tore up Harbaugh, Drevno, and Don Brown. And it made sense... For anyone interested, the rant(s) were on The M Zone with Marcus and Jamie Morris.
                      Last edited by Rocky Bleier; October 24, 2017, 12:21 PM.
                      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Marcus Ray has the credibility to do that, unlike Sam and Ira. Right or wrong, I'm glad he did. Not that it really makes a difference in the big picture, but still.

Comment

• Marcus Ray is totally on spot about the defensive scheme.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            Marcus Ray has the credibility to do that, unlike Sam and Ira. Right or wrong, I'm glad he did. Not that it really makes a difference in the big picture, but still.
                            Especially Ira. He has absolutely no credibility. He's a sycophant.

Comment

• Brian at Mgoblog is starting to move into sycophant territory. His posts yesterday and today are particularly annoying - refusing to discuss the game. Period. He has been willing to blame everyone and anything except Harbaugh and the coaching staff, in spite of the mounting evidence. I'm gald that Marcus is willing to go there.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                Marcus Ray is totally on spot about the defensive scheme.
                                Like why are safeties covering slot receivers all day? Or why do you have McCray covering Barkley?

Brian Cook has a man crush on Jim Harbaugh. And, don't forget, he does UFRs, so he's an expert.
                                Last edited by Rocky Bleier; October 24, 2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X