Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beilein touched on a number of subjects Monday. Here’s the breakdown in News and Views format.

NEWS: Michigan’s two new assistants, Donlon and Washington, bring a wealth of experience on defense and big man coaching, respectively.

BEILEIN: “Go back six years ago and having Bacari and Vall walk in and Jeff Meyer, it’s like that time all over again where I can say this is what’s gone on the last six years, this is where the game has changed … have I changed enough? Then we just go from there. There’s a lot of trial and error still in practice in this six weeks, and I know we won’t have it perfect by the time of the first game. We want to be really good by the time we get to that Big Ten schedule.”

VIEWS: Beilein has adapted in the past, going from two lead guards to a ball screen heavy offense, for one, and now he seems willing to change again. Defensive coordinator is one way he’d describe Donlon.

“I am giving him a lot of responsibility,” Beilein said. “I probably should have given him more in the past, and I’m giving him a lot of responsibility for the defense. My eye and the detail we do for offense, I think he’s got a similar eye for defense. We’re trying to combine that without confusing everybody. That’s going to be the delicate point. We don’t want them thinking too much.

“But he’s probably -- and this is the adjustment I have to make -- spoken a lot more in practice right now than a lot of our assistant coaches were allowed to in the past … they were always allowed to talk, but maybe I didn't give them time. I’ve tried to really sit back and say okay, when people shot 47 percent like people did last year, we had to have a different mindset in practice, and our players have to have a different mindset.

“The biggest emphasis as this 30-second clock has come in is individual, guard your man, man-to-man defense. We have done it, we’ve worked at it … some of the principles he’s had, some of the help he’s had, some of the different angles he’s talking about will be really helpful.”

The goal is to get seven more possessions per game, which should add a handful of wins in close games.

Washington, meanwhile, had great success with big men at Oakland U. under Greg Kampe and has also been a great addition.

“When I interviewed Saddi and talked to Greg Kampe about him, he said Saddi has a presence about him, a commanding presence without being a guy that is intimidating kids,” Beilein said. “They like working for him, love what he’s done with our post guys thus far. Again, watch the Oakland guys -- they've done a really good job in post offense. It looks to me like we can play through there more.”

Another sign that Beilein is at least willing to consider changing things up to help make Michigan a contender again after two years of falling short.

NEWS: Michigan has the nucleus of an NCAA Tournament team returning, including seniors Derrick Walton and Zak Irvin, but modest expectations nationally.

BEILEIN: “We have experienced depth with the bigger guys at the center. Whether [sophomore] Mo [Wagner] or [senior] Mark [Donnal] wins that position we’ll see, but we’ll have one of those guys behind them. Whether D.J. [Wilson] or Duncan [Robinson] wins that other position, we’ll have one of them behind him. That’s really good to have that type of veteran depth, guys that have played for a full year at least.

“The backcourt’s a different story where we got the one, the two and the three have logged a lot of minutes. We have [freshmen] Ibi Watson and X [Xavier Simpson] coming in for them, so now we’ve got talent yet we’re very inexperienced. There are a lot of things that go into this outlook as we’ve found out. What is the bench going to play; what are the starters going to play? What’s the injury situation? There are a lot of things.

“But I like the team right now and the way we’ve been practicing and some of the things we’ve been doing that will be a change from what we’ve done in the past.”

VIEWS: How they fare in close games will determine whether or not this team is a contender, but pulling out close games is what Beilein and Co. do. There’s talent, too. Wagner could be a star, and Walton and Irvin are talented … redshirt junior Duncan Robinson might just be the best shooter in the country.

This is a team that shouldn’t have to sweat making the NCAA Tournament, barring injury, and could well be a contender, especially if the defense improves, as expected.

Irvin and Walton, meanwhile, have been terrific leaders.

“It’s natural today,” Beilein said. “There are not too many walking leaders. It just doesn’t happen. Like everybody else, they’ve grown into that role. Ever since this summer, I’ve seen tremendous growth in both those guys to be able to speak and lead and push and encourage and pull with the younger guys.

“Seniors just want to win. They’re done with all the other stuff, that noise they hear in the background. They just want to win. Given our injury situation, three tournaments in four years, hopefully having a great, great senior year where we’re in the championship hunt in the Big Ten all year long, that’s a pretty good career for both of them.”

NEWS: The freshmen have been very receptive to teaching, and at least three of them should play this year.

BEILEIN: "They love to practice. The summer is a very busy time for them, as well. Between our two big guys [Austin Davis and Jon Teske], Ibi and X, they are in the gym a lot and love basketball.

“What’s the learning curve going to be? We’re going to find out that a lot in the weeks to come, but right now they’re just good kids, very coachable, low maintenance off the court … now we’ve got to see what they can do on the court.”

Matthews falls into that category, too, though he can’t play until next year due to NCAA transfer rules.

“I would say he’s not 100 percent but pretty darn close to it,” Beilein said. “He’s been extremely receptive to coaching. He had a workout from 7 to 8 a.m. before his 8:30 class and did a tremendous job, him and Coach Donlon.”

VIEWS: Matthews could prove to be an absolute steal, judging by the little bit we saw of him in practice Monday. He’s long, athletic and a student of the game.

Simpson could help move Walton to the two guard in spells, and Watson has been shooting the lights out. Davis is an absolute man-child now, in great shape and as Wagner notes, “so strong,” while Teske’s length is unbelievable.

This will be a very good group when it’s all said and done.

H70an06lalswwamvc4yt
    Michigan head coach John Beilein.
    USA TODAY
    NEWS: Wagner looks much bigger and looks ready to take the next step into becoming an outstanding NCAA big man.

BEILEIN: “We think it’s very important he got back to the homeland. He got back [to Germany] end of April, instead of coming back June 27 he came in June 1 so he could get another four weeks of workouts in. He had 12 weeks of intensive workouts. I’ve seen a big difference in that … his body, everything.

“He’s got to continue to work on things. If he’s in foul trouble every game again, he’s not making the right strides. He’s got to play defense without fouling, handle the ball without turning it over. But I like the progress he’s making. And what a terrific teammate and young man.”

VIEWS: He’s also a ridiculously high-energy guy, a Mitch McGary type in that sense. Look for him to do more out of the high post this year and to become much more of a scoring threat. He was knocking down threes with regularity the first two times we saw him practice this year and can put it on the floor from the free throw line the way McGary used to.

If the light truly has gone on for him, this team could be really good. The element he added last year in the NCAA Tournament made that team look much better.

Donnal, meanwhile, still needs to get in better shape. Beilein said he still was not guaranteed a fifth year.

“He’s a senior right now playing in his fourth year, has an extra year,” Beilein said. “We’re going to stop putting redshirt next to the year, but he’s in his senior year and been practicing okay, got to get himself in great shape right now, but we’ve all seen what he can do. We need about 35 games at least from him this year.”

NEWS: Beilein’s philosophy to not foul and Donlon’s more foul-prone defensive strategy seem to be at odds.

BEILEIN: “It’s the perfect scenario. The perfect world is we want five personal fouls going into the halftime with one or two minutes to go. Because of depth the last couple years, If Zak Irvin or Derrick Walton got their second foul in the first half, we didn’t have a whole lot of people coming in. Maybe we overdid that. We look at some of our guys’ stats, some of our guys didn’t average two fouls a game. So maybe we were a little bit too cautious.

“Somehow we’ve got to take Bill’s defense where they fouled more and still stay out of the one and one, keep our best players on the floor. That’s my job to get that done.”

VIEWS: Yet another way Beilein is showing he’s willing to adapt. Donlon was outstanding Monday in deferring to Beilein and talking about his success the last several years, but make no mistake – there’s a reason Donlon is here, and that’s to get this prolific offense some more possessions.

Comment

Swoon. That John Beilein sure knows how to talk.

Comment

He's a very smart guy and doesn't have a huge ego (at least for a coach.) He's smart enough and humble enough to listen to input from others. Maybe his one lacking point is salesmanship. Closing the deal on top recruits. I keep thinking back to Devin Booker and his quotes about schools that were showing him love. It seemed to be very important to him to feel fawned over. Beilein is more the fatherly-type. If there's a way to be a little more showy without being coddling, it would likely be to our advantage.

Comment

Trey Burke: UM food was "disgusting jail food", was "checked out" during his sophomore season and blames the coaches for not having him "prepared" for life after college

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...urke/92682796/

Poor thing. What a rough life Trey has had up to this point.
          AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

That's not a glowing endorsement of M.

But I do agree with him that players should get compensation. These kids are making NCAA and the universities mad money and its not like they have the time to get jobs for extra money. Its garbage
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

I wonder if that perception is unique to Michigan or if it is the same everywhere. if it isn't the same everywhere, then that would go a long way towards explaining Beilein's crap recruiting.

Comment

I've never heard any whining about this sort of thing from football players and I'd assume the kind of support for B-Ball players the Burke is complaining about is not that different.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

And you haven't heard it from other UM basketball players either. I love Shepard's tweets at the end of the article.
                  2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Trey spoke to Beilein (Beilein called him specifically about the comments), apologized, and said that he was taken out of context and that his words were exaggerated.

For what it's worth Beilein said that Burke "feels bad" about the comments.
                    AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

Here's an excerpt from umhoops.com on the whole thing:

Trey Burke speaks out
                      Former Michigan All-American Trey Burke made headlines with a series of comments at a Knight Commission panel discussing the current state of college basketball.

CBS Sports’ Jon Solomon tweeted a number of statements that Burke made that stirred the pot. Burke compared breakfast food on campus to jail food and lamented his lack of preparation for the financials of the NBA (after being asked). The former All-American point guard also noted that people knew he ‘checked out’ when he returned to Michigan — it’s unclear if this means academically, the fact that he almost left Michigan before returning, or on the court (where he earned National Player of the Year).

The comments about jail food and not being prepared for the NBA made waves when they were tweeted out, but it turns out that the full version is a little more rational. MLive’s Brendan Quinn dug up the full transcript of what was said and published it late Monday evening.

Burke’s full answer to the question on being prepared for the NBA:

“I think when I first came in (to college), I came in strictly with the student mentality. I knew I someday wanted to be a professional basketball player. But coming in I wasn’t a McDonald’s All-American. I wasn’t a — ‘Oh, he’s going to be a No. 1 draft pick’ — or — ‘He’s going to leave early.’

“(Michigan was) preaching four years, staying four years. I believed that, too. But after my freshman year, we lost my first game in the tournament and — my freshman year, I had a year that people didn’t expect me to have as a freshman — and you’re hearing things from the scouts, you’re hearing things from agents … and me being only 19 years old at the time, the things I was hearing, those were the things I wanted to hear, rather than the things I needed to hear. I started getting the real advice that I needed to hear after my freshman year from my coaches and my parents.

“It was just that one day, out of all of those days I know I wasn’t listening, and in my heart, I knew it was the right decision to come back. So when I came back my sophomore year, like, everyone at the university kind of knew I was checked out — what I would call it. And as an athlete, when you’re kind of checked out, you already have in your mind that your an NBA player, but you’re in college. You know, some guys just don’t go to class. Other go to class. I still went to class and, on top of that, they checked my classes, so I knew I had to go to class.

“Long story short, I felt like, personally, they could have helped me structure what I was going into — as far as finances, as far as budgeting, as far as investing. I didn’t know anything about any of those things. All I knew was basketball. And I felt like, at that point, me being a sophomore at that point in my career as a student-athlete, I think they kind of knew that I was going to declare, especially when we went deep into the tournament. I still hadn’t told the media or still hadn’t told anyone, but I was making it known that I want to enter the draft, and I don’t feel like I was equipped enough going into the process, and I feel like they could have helped me more with me building a team for what I wanted, rather than an agent coming in and telling me all this knowledge and things.”

For the most part, those are fair points about the NCAA process. Like any other college student, and there are plenty of other college students who leave college without basic financial knowledge, a student-athlete’s curriculum isn’t based upon personal finance. And that while everyone knew Burke was going pro, it isn’t a situation where you can just stop going to your college classes and go to agent prep.

The other side of the situation is that Burke hired his father and uncle to represent him when he declared for the draft. He also hired Jordan Dumars and another recent graduate to manage his money. Those sound like decisions that he might regret now, but they are also probably not decisions that the 19 year old version of himself would have taken advice on at the time.

Comment

Burke left early on his own accord. He can not blame his coaches or the athletic department for not preparing him to leave early because that is not their job.

.......and to call the food, "jail food"? Well that just demonstrates how out of line his comments are.
                        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Hey Marko!

Comment

MM!!!
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Things just haven't broken right for Burke in the pros, and even though it's not all on him and I could see him reviving his career elsewhere since so many players are all about fit, he's still probably got to bear a good chunk of the blame for that. What a shame. Really seemed like he had that gigantic will-to-win factor going.

Comment

After a slow first 12 or so minutes, Michigan went to 2-0 yesterday, winning by 12 in what wasn't that close of a game. They were up 19 when they pulled the starters.

Now, a win over IUPUI isn't anything to get pumped about but what I did like was the play of DJ Wilson. He didn't bring a lot offensively (7 points, one 3 and one nice tip-dunk) but he had 14 boards and 5 blocks. Coach Beilein had mentioned in the preseason that DJ's rebounding had greatly improved. In the 2nd half, Michigan went with a bigger line-up than in the first, putting DJ out there more than Duncan Robinson, while still having either Mo or Donnal out there as well and there was a stretch where they also had DR on the floor with two bigs.

I don't know how successful this season is going to be (it's a team without any true star or player that can go for 25) but I'm interested to see what appears to be a transition in philosophy from the past few years.

Oh, it also looks like Austin Davis is heading for a redshirt.
                                Last edited by *JD*; November 14, 2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X