Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By hook or by crook hopefully, but Hoke was just so ridiculously lucky. He couldn't lose the ND game if he'd tried harder. The Sugar Bowl was a friggin joke of a win, and Harbaugh won't get Fickell's OSU. Then again, Hoke went to MSU and Iowa that year with astoundingly stupid game plans. Harbaugh won't do that.

Still, my call is another 10-2 going into the bowl game. We split the MSU/OSU games and lose to Utah. And I think that's enough for recruits to start seeing reality as it is. He'll make whatever QB look very good. I hope it's Morris, frankly, if we can't get the Iowa grad transfer. I'd like someone who isn't a freshman.

Comment

• Precisely.

Martin & Brandon, blew the hires, then paralyzed by hubris, it fell to their predecessors to fix the fuckery.
      "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Talent brings up a great point about the '15 season foreshadowing the '16 season and thus affecting the '16 recruiting classes which affects the '17 season & beyond... There isn't a need to win big but JH and The Team needs to show they are (re)building a program that'll play in Major Bowl games and compete for the B10 most years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
          Talent brings up a great point about the '15 season foreshadowing the '16 season and thus affecting the '16 recruiting classes which affects the '17 season & beyond... There isn't a need to win big but JH and The Team needs to show they are (re)building a program that'll play in Major Bowl games and compete for the B10 most years.

talent's viewpoint is excellent ....... IMO, JH has to take this 2015 team to the BTCG to equal what Hoke did (by pure luck, I'd add) in 2011. That did buy Hoke some great recruiting classes..... which he managed to totally waste by his buffoonery.

I could see the same kind of good things happening for Harbaugh and if he is able to engineer that kind of season, yes, 2016 and 17 could be good based on confidence levels of the team and the establishment of nice recruiting pipeline.

It won't be luck (and Denard) that gets M to the BTCG, like it got Hoke to a major bowl in his first season at M, if that should happen. I'm pretty certain of that. But I think Prime2 is blowing smoke from the weed he's been smoking if he thinks that is actually going to happen. The odds and a whole list of other things that I've already spoken of are against it.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 3, 2015, 09:25 PM.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• You know, though, I'm awfully thankful for '11. That was a really fun year. Wasn't worth the tradeoff, but lots of good memories.

Comment

• Hoke's '11 season should be the typical season for M not a high point. 10-2 and a 'major' bowl were my expectations when I first started to watch M in the early-to-mid 80's till Lloyd retired.

Comment

• Hey Prime2 .... I'll smoke it with you ... forget Jeff .. he's an old fart nowadays .... :-)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0"]Don't Bogart That Joint! - YouTube[/ame]
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Harbaugh really proved his mettle in the NFL, only robbed by the officials with his TD pass to seal it. Taking a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 9 consecutive years to the NFL Title game in year 1 was at warp speed. In 3 years JH has accomplished more at the highest level than any other coach in the history of the NFL, not sure what many are missing here?

A the CFB kiddie table, in a few short years he's going to make an awful lot of coaches look, lazy, inept and out of class, relax and enjoy it.

If it is not too late, Hoke should be walking back to San Diego via I-94, given his athletic prowess, a few of you guys might be able to intercept him around Jackson, I figure even though he had a year jump on Meyer and over 2 month or so this time around.
                  Last edited by Prime2; March 4, 2015, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                    Hoke's '11 season should be the typical season for M not a high point. 10-2 and a 'major' bowl were my expectations when I first started to watch M in the early-to-mid 80's till Lloyd retired.
                    Of course. But it felt like a return to sanity. And for a great senior class.

Comment

• IMO, JH has to take this 2015 team to the BTCG to equal what Hoke did
                      Well, maybe. He could equal or better Hoke by going 11-2 (or 12-1) and losing to OSU and winning a New Year's 6 Bowl. Ohio State is formidable roadblock to the BTCG. Regardless, I think the better gauge is 2016. I think you agree.

In 3 years JH has accomplished more at the highest level than any other coach in the history of the NFL
                      Taking that statement literally....LMAO. Lombardi, Noll, Bellichick, etc. Taking that statement to mean JH's first 3 (or 4) years were better than anyone else's, it took me all of 2 seconds to come up with George Seifert. For that matter, Barry Switzer (who also accomplished more in CFB!). Heh. Oooh...Mike Tomlin. And so one and so forth.

The job Bellichik did at NE in his first 4 seasons also dwarfs JH. Just saying.

Whew, I feel like the Ohio State thread is about to get back on course after wandering astray into reasonable, fact-based cordial discussion.
                      Last edited by iam416; March 4, 2015, 08:11 AM.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Of course. But it felt like a return to sanity. And for a great senior class.
                        It's too bad Denard couldn't have gone out with that group. Instead, for his heroic efforts he was rewarded with the 2012 season. That ain't right.

Comment

• Not that it matters, particularly in this thread:

Harbaugh became the first NFL head coach to have reached a conference championship game in each of his first three seasons.
                          Last edited by Prime2; March 4, 2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Sure. And Seifert won a SB and lost a CG. Switzer won a SB, lost a CG and lost in the playoffs. Tomlin lost in the playoffs and won a SB. Kudos to JH's 3-yr Buffalo Bills run, I guess.

More relevantly, will he best UFM's first three years at Ohio State?

Comment

• I doubt it, and really care not to, Meyer has had college football success but again it pales in comparison to the Bigs. I'm certain there are plenty of high school coaches too that have tasted such similar sweet nectar. As for your other Kiddie Table "Champion" Saban, well, he never won a NFL playoff game, hell, he never even made the NFL playoffs!

There is plenty of coaching evidence for anyone to draw their own conclusions. IMO as for Meyer, he has had no professional coaching experience and shouldn't even be included in the debate and as for that Hillbilly Saban, his ass is still sore from his brief NFL disaster.

At present, Harbaugh stands alone and likely represents sea change in college coaching ranks.
                              Last edited by Prime2; March 4, 2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                It's too bad Denard couldn't have gone out with that group. Instead, for his heroic efforts he was rewarded with the 2012 season. That ain't right.
                                Yup.

Comment

Working...
                                X