Forumites and their Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YT View Post
    Sis in law has 2 beagles. Lucky has typical colors but is a little naughty (tries to escape, digs, hoards food). A shock collar mostly keeps him in check.

Buddy is reddish & white and loves to play ball but doesn't like to go back into the cage. Overall a great dog.

Both are great with our son and he has mentioned he'd like a beagle.

I grew up with a Dobie and she was awesome.

I'm also looking at Springer Spaniels or Cavalier King Spaniels and keeping their coats shaved down during the summer, but I don't know very much about either breed.
    A mini dobie sounds like what you are looking for but, again, I too, suggest going to a shelter and find a dog that fits your needs.

There are many good dogs to be found at shelters as long as you know what you are looking for.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
      A mini dobie sounds like what you are looking for but, again, I too, suggest going to a shelter and find a dog that fits your needs.

There are many good dogs to be found at shelters as long as you know what you are looking for.
      I thought of a mini dobie but due to their temperament they aren't advised for smaller kids.

We've been looking on-line at the shelters but no dogs stand out yet

Comment

• Go to shelter and let a pup pick you
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
          Adopt from your humane society or shelter. You can still get a gorgeous dog that is less likely to have many pure breeds health issues and you save a dog. :-)
          Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Originally posted by YT View Post
            We're about ready to move into a rental house that allows pets (wife's cousins' house).

Suggestions on the best kind of dog to get for a 9 y.o with ADHD.

The only conditions are that it needs to be short-haired (super hot summers), have a gentle disposition & be a medium sized dog.
            YT- a greyhound or whippet may suit your needs. Should be plenty up for adoption.

Best of luck.
            Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
              Go to shelter and let a pup pick you
              Thought about that but the boy may want to adopt a dozen dogs!

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              YT- a greyhound or whippet may suit your needs. Should be plenty up for adoption.

Best of luck.
              Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• We have bassets. The kids love them. They do shed, but have short coats, so grooming is a minimum. Love those hounds. Walter is 55 pounds, and Olivia is 50. The kind of dogs that will hang out in front of the vent with you on those hot days. You just have to be prepared to train them. If you let them decide the rules they will be in charge of your home by the end of the month.
                AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
                2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
                3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
                4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
                5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
                6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
                7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• One of the rules about the new rental house is that pets are Ok, but must be outdoor pets (well, I guess a snake, lizard or gerbil would be ok to be in the house but I hate snakes & lizards and gerbils make me think of Richard Gere) so an outdoor dog it will be.

I've thought about basset hounds but I have questions about energy level and how playful they would be with our son.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciative.

Comment

• My advice is to not get a dog if your intention is to keep it outdoors. I doubt any shelter will allow you to adopt if you are honest about these intentions.
                    Last edited by -Deborah-; January 26, 2014, 07:36 AM.
                    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                      My advice is to not get a dog if your intention is to keep it outdoors. I doubt any shelter will allow you to adopt if you are honest about these intentions.

Dogs are social creatures. They are hard wired for a pack structure. Your family is the pack and they will not understand why they are isolated from them.
                      Last edited by Tony G; January 26, 2014, 08:36 AM.
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Landlords are afraid that a pet will destroy their property.

The biggest problem is carpeting and understandably so.

I am guessing as long as you have a smaller dog, house train it and clean the carpets if it has accidents, there will be no issue.

Comment

• Check out Corgis YT. Great dogs. Pretty compact but sturdy. And should have plenty of energy for a youngin, but can also chill out when appropriate.

But I would also second those that are cautioning against an outside dog.
                          Last edited by SeattleLionsFan; January 26, 2014, 10:57 AM.
                          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• A boxer is another suggestion, though they remain a "puppy" their entire lives (excitable, overly playful, require a great deal of exercise).
                            Great family dog, however.

Agree with others, though, to please don't keep whoever you decide on outside. All dogs (IMO) live to be around their owners/kids, at all times.

Going to a shelter this afternoon to hopefully get a buddy for our Flat-Coated Retriever, Chewy.

Wish me luck.

Comment

• Good luck Paul.
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Good luck, Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                X