No announcement yet.

Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh look, a little trolling today and caught a ClownFish.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Pavel Datsyuk, although Russian is the best "European" in the game and one of only three I would ever have on my team as an NHL coach.
      I'd still take Ovie over Pavel if I was a GM.

The Wings can't afford another game like Sunday's, they won't get that lucky twice. Still, it has to take some of the air out of the Sharks to let one go they had dominated. Woll that be the dropped foul ball that is followed up by a home run?
      Last edited by Tony G; May 9, 2011, 03:38 PM.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• The two OT losses are what essentially killed the Wings' chances in this series. They really needed to steal Game 1 and get a split in SJ. Teams that open a series 2-0 have won 86% of the series throughout the history of the Stanley Cup playoffs. After the Wings blew Game 3 (just like last year) I just wanted to see another win and not get swept at home. They accomplished that mission and then I just wanted to see them win one more game before it's officially golf season.

Yesterday's game was one of the most exciting and satisfying single games I can remember in a long time. After the Sharks took the 3-1 lead early in the third I put the Wings chances of winning that game at < 0.1%. That team isn't as good as it was 2-3 years ago. They're getting older. The Sharks have been better for most of the series. But what we witnessed yesterday was a collection of proud champions who refused to go quietly into the night. They made me proud to be a Red Wings fan. As for tomorrow... I just want to see them win one more game.
        Last edited by Mike; May 9, 2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• I'd still take Ovie over Pavel if I was a GM.

If you want to fill the building sure but if you want to win the Cup, PD is the smart addition. Playoff grit is invaluable, pretty goals in the "dog & pony" regular season are mere highlights.
          Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 9, 2011, 05:14 PM.
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Ovie has size and skill. and a longer upside than PD. He just needs a supporting cast
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Datsyuk is awesome but he is getting a little old to try and build a team around.

As for "European" players, every NHL team would love to have Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen and Holmstrom. Like I said, the Don Cherry "Europeans can't play with Canadians" stuff pretty much went away years ago.

Comment

• Does Ovie kill penalties? IMO, the mark of a truly great player is that he excels in every phase of the game. Dats can dominate 200 feet of ice when he's on.

Comment

• To be fair you must compare players in their prime and let's face it playing for a good team means a ton. Case in point John Tavares, selected first overall by the New York Islanders, a team going nowhere as they teadering on the edge of bankruptcy and they finished near dead last in the East, a point ahead of last place Florida Panthers. Tavares had the misfortune of being drafted by a dead organization.

My point is that the Isles had no hope of making the playoffs, Tavares joins Team Canada to play at the World Championship in MetroSexual Europe, leads the Tournament in scoring on a roster steeped with 3rd Stringers as they remain undefeated, ready to face Russia in the quarters. This kid would be a star in the NHL today if he played for the Wings or most other properly-run Clubs.

Comment

• There is no question that getting into the right organization is key. It isn't an accident that the Wings have developed so many great players.

Comment

• Tavares had the misfortune of being drafted by a dead organization.
                      That description would have to fit the Wings back when they drafted Yzerman. I do understand the basic idea being conveyed though.

For that matter Yzerman had an unsual career arc. Until his big knee injury he was truly a dominant offensive force. After the injury he was a step below the Gretzky/Lemieux level but still dangerous. He eventually bought in to Bowman's 2 way hockey and (IMO) at moment truly became "The Captain" through his leadership. He had the misfortune to play in Gretzky and Lemieux's shadow which really blunted a lot of what would have been due him in recognition.

Comment

• Yzerman grew up in a world of hockey where everyone just tried to outscore the other team. Defense was a dirty word in the 80's. It really wasn't until New Jersey started their neutral-zone crap that everyone shifted and became uber-defensive.

Comment

• Gretzky & Lemieux were the two best players to EVER play the game in my lifetime, no doubt. As for Yzerman he was a remarkable player, "Dead Things" drafted him, played his early career surrounded by terrible players, 155 point season & his gold-medal-effort in 2002 SLC Olympics will always be in my memory. On one leg he was Canada's best Player in the Tournament, game after game against the World's best. Lemieux returning from cancer with a bad back was a close second ... dominated games too.
                          Last edited by Optimus Prime; May 10, 2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• No Franzen for the Wings, No Clowe for the Sharks tonight:

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

The article says Clowe has "flu-like" symptoms. Me thinks he got the Kronwall Flu! The writer seems to think so, too!

Comment

• I hate no Franzen, but that's good news on Clowe. Franzen was pretty ineffective even before the Thornton cheap shot.

Comment

• Yeah this is a good trade-off for Detroit for this series. Franzen needs to rest until he can be effective again.

Comment

Working...
                                X