DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #2841
mason reese

Mid 3rd. 20 picks after Amari Spivey.
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2842
SeattleLionsFan

Even better. Early third round corners are usually much too athletic to play CB.
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2843
kck-sum

Huh?
kck-sum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2844
SeattleLionsFan

It was sarcasm K...I'm not a fan of "sleeper" CBs. I think the athleticism necessary to play CB is almost always evident, and makes it an easy position to scout. Of course I have no analysis to back that up.

Good to see you btw...
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2845
Tony G

Burleson's job in jeopardy?

9:33AM ET
Nate Burleson | Lions

Jeff Backus may not be the only Detroit Lions veteran whose starting job could be challenged by a rookie this offseason.
Anwar Richardson of MLive.com writes that veteran WR Nate Burleson should be a little nervous about his spot on the team as well, after the Lions drafted Oklahoma WR Ryan Broyles in Round 2 of the draft. "The Lions already have Calvin Johnson and Titus Young, last year's second-round pick, on its roster," Richardson notes. "Burleson restructured his contract and will earn $875,000 (plus a $3.125 million "signing" bonus) this year; $4.5 million in 2013 and $5.5 million in 2014. Detroit did not draft Broyles to be its fourth receiver, meaning Burleson must fight to stay on the roster."
After infamously investing perennial first-round picks on the position, the Lions have finally found that elusive depth at WR. It will be interesting to see whether they elect to jettison some of it in the form of Burleson.
- Tim Kavanagh
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2846
ColoradoLion

I would call Burleson's 2011 season disappointing.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2847
Kstat

His drop issues were his undoing. Still, I like that we will have quality competition there. Titus should be locked in at #2.
Kstat is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2848
Jdoggie

Bureslon should be as good as gone next year. Then we can draft another WR is the second for depth.
Jdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2849
Masspartan

Burleson will never see that 5.5 million in 2015. I'd bet money on that. He is in no jeopardy of losing his job this season however. He still has plenty of skill. Just needs to protect the ball better.
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2850
Jdoggie

This season he is golden, next he is gone. If his drops contunie he might see the bench late in the year.
Jdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2851
Laimbeer Returns

I find it odd that Burleson would restructure again knowing he'll be gone sooner thatm Calivn or Titus anyway and leave him in thismposition to be cut for Broyles.

I think with a little better investigation the writer could learn that Burleson's restructuring the last 2 years provided cap flexibilty but also meant that cutting him later would provide little cap savings.

By converting pay into signing bonuses the last two years, we would take a cap hit on cutting him.

So if cutting his $5.5 only saves us $2 million, and we still have to go out and get a new 4th wr it may not be worth it because of the dead money on the cap.

So if cutting his $5.5 million only provides $2 million in cap relief and you then still need
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2852
Laimbeer Returns

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/nate-burleson/

OK, if this is accurate then he would only be 1.4 million in cap hit if cut in 2014 and 2.8 if cut in 2013.

Cutting in 2013 saves roughly 3.1 and cutting in 2014 saves 5.5

Restructuring made it harder to cut him, but it will likely depend on Broyles recovery and impact.

There is NO way Burleson gets cut this year.
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2853
Iron Lion

It's not the drops that concern me with #13 but rather the fumbles. Most of the time he can gouge a defense on 3rd down by catching a perfectly thrown Stafford ball and running out of bounds just beyond the marker. It's when he turns to the middle and runs that I get really concerned and scream, "Just go down!"
Iron Lion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:48 AM   #2854
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggie View Post
Bureslon should be as good as gone next year. Then we can draft another WR is the second for depth.
Yup but if they take one in the second, he should be a skilled returner also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masspartan View Post
Burleson will never see that 5.5 million in 2015. I'd bet money on that. He is in no jeopardy of losing his job this season however. He still has plenty of skill. Just needs to protect the ball better.
Unless he is putting up some very big numbers this year, I do not see him getting anything past this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimbeer Returns View Post
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/nate-burleson/

OK, if this is accurate then he would only be 1.4 million in cap hit if cut in 2014 and 2.8 if cut in 2013.

Cutting in 2013 saves roughly 3.1 and cutting in 2014 saves 5.5

Restructuring made it harder to cut him, but it will likely depend on Broyles recovery and impact.

There is NO way Burleson gets cut this year.
The way I look at it is he is making a bit over 4Mil this year and 3.25 of it is spread over 3 years. They will be saving the entire 10 Mil if they cut him after this year.

The only way he sees any of that 10 Mil is if one of the others suffer a bad injury.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2855
dsred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lion View Post
It's not the drops that concern me with #13 but rather the fumbles. Most of the time he can gouge a defense on 3rd down by catching a perfectly thrown Stafford ball and running out of bounds just beyond the marker. It's when he turns to the middle and runs that I get really concerned and scream, "Just go down!"
Of this I am guilty.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2856
CGVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsred View Post
Of this I am guilty.
Ha! Me too.

I think he scored a TD or two when I was yelling "Don't fumble!"
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM   #2857
Iron Lion

I still remember the 2010 season he plowed over a Tampa defender to get into the endzone. I was hoping he'd go down, and then he did that. That play was really a microcosm of the Bucs' next year.
Iron Lion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2858
FanFromCali

He isn't going to be cut this year, but I do think Young has a great chance of being the #2. However, the year after he will have to do a major restructure of his contract in the Lions favor or he will be gone.
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2859
Topweasel

Young is the new #2. Hell they drafted him for it. He was in the first game as it. The question is does Burelson get less passes next year. They want and Burelson wants to be the slot guy, he moves around better there.

Young needs to get better at making himself a target. He went long stretches were he was a non-factor, and that seems bad for a team that threw the most passes in the NFL.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2860
Futureshock

Ryan Grant has an offer from Lions?