Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still think it's odd you wouldn't let a talent like that at least come and take a look. And maybe make a contingent offer if there is such a thing. Verbals are what they are, verbals, and these are young talented kids you're dealing with. Kids who have a lot of options.

Comment

• I agree with all of that, Dennis.

But, IMO .. sometimes if you snooze, .. you lose.

Scholarships are at a premium, .. for the 2012 class at least ..
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisT View Post
        I still think it's odd you wouldn't let a talent like that at least come and take a look. And maybe make a contingent offer if there is such a thing. Verbals are what they are, verbals, and these are young talented kids you're dealing with. Kids who have a lot of options.
        If you already have a silent commit or a very good chance from a guy like Pipkins, why give him ANY reason to bolt? If you are flirting with other players at his position when he knows you only have one spot left and he is supposed to be taking it, I think that can only lead to bad things.

Comment

• A bird in the hand...

The old saying about a verbal contract being worth the paper it's written on? A silent verbal is worth even less in my mind.

The timing of the Schutt go away and the Pipkins leak is an unlikely coincidence imo. Wouldn't surprise me if staff told Pipkins he had to go public with his verbal in exchange for telling Schutt to go away.

Comment

• I don't think it was anything like that.

I think the staff knew Pipkins (and probably O'Brien) want to come to Michigan after taking some visits, and agreed to keep things quiet. When by time Schutt made up his mind, his spot was gone.

If anything, Schutt needs to be upset with Notre Dame. Remember, they were his first choice.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• He should have verballed before Sheldon Day. Then he wouldn't be on the outside looking in.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisT View Post
                A bird in the hand...

The old saying about a verbal contract being worth the paper it's written on? A silent verbal is worth even less in my mind.

The timing of the Schutt go away and the Pipkins leak is an unlikely coincidence imo. Wouldn't surprise me if staff told Pipkins he had to go public with his verbal in exchange for telling Schutt to go away.
                We don't have the inside info. For all you know, Pipkins was the bird in the hand. Or perhaps the staff wanted him much more than Schutt?

I highly doubt Schutt would have been turned away if Pipkins wasn't a lock in the UM coaches minds. They had info that the rest of us did not have.

Comment

• I seem to remember reading on more than a few occasions that Michigan does not do silent commits. Either you commit publicly, or we're going to keep recruiting. This is what they did with Wayne Morgan.

Comment

• M turned away Schutt from visiting after the BBQ.

Comment

• I don't see any reason to risk alienating a talented kid, his family, his coach, etc. If there were silents or locks or whatever, let the kid come have a look with the understanding that he's third in line. And communicate the same to 1 and 2.

Comment

• That would be my line of thinking. Maybe there were some unspoken words though. Maybe it was a bit more diplomatic. Who knows. But, I agree that burning bridges down the road is something that we all would like not to happen--with any recruit.

Comment

• Word from TVH is that Garnett is coming in for the night game. And that Garnett and Magnuson have become friends. Hopefully, Schilling (also from WA) is in his ear too. Could be interesting.

Comment

• That would make for an OL class that likely doesn't get matched by anyone... I really like Ben Braden and Caleb Stacey; they'd be the #4 & #5 OL in such a class.

Comment

• Armani Reeves to decide on Friday. M probably had too much room to make up to get back into it after him dropping off their board...

Yuri Wright CB (4.5*) meanwhile has listed M in his top group recently and wants to take an official in Ann Arbor.

Comment

• Too bad, I already hear Frank Beckman calling his name on radio.
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X