Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
    Lots of controversy over the schedules.

Noted that the M/UW match-up is done for 4 consecutive seasons by proponents of the 9 conference game schedules going forward.

I would offer that the schedules that have been released are a spring board to getting to 9 conference games in the new league set-up. What is the propose of releasing these schedules if not for some specific reason. This seems to me to be a very good one.
    The conventional wisdom seems to be that we will begin the 9-game schedule in 2015, far enough in advance to not interfere with any OOC games already scheduled.

The AD's and Presidents are in favor of it (less enthusiastic at OSU and Michigan) so it's bound to happen.

Interesting theory that they purposely broke up teams to increase the outcry for it.

I also notice that Sparty won't play Ohio State, Penn State, or Wisconsin in 2013-14. Who thought that was a good idea??

Comment

Sparty.

Comment

Iowa senior defensive back Willie Lowe, one of the 13 players hospitalized in January with a muscle disorder following workouts, has asked for a release to allow his transfer from the school.

More...
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          I also notice that Sparty won't play Ohio State, Penn State, or Wisconsin in 2013-14. Who thought that was a good idea??
          I thought that Penn State was MSU's protected rivalry(?)

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
            I thought that Penn State was MSU's protected rivalry(?)
            Nope...Indiana
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Who is Penn State's protected rival then? Nebraska?

Comment

Yup, that's Penn State's cross-divisional rival. Alvarez wanted them bad too but I think the conf wanted to throw PSU a bone and make sure they got a premier game to rival OSU-Michigan

Comment

couple months away before Nebraska is officially in the BigTen but it is never too early to talk about how one feels about your new peers...

Programs I hate already:

PSU - whiny little punks who have more philly in their fan base than Pittsburgh. One of the worst CF experiences I've had was visiting Happy Valley. And I'm still angry about 1982.

NW - Ignoring the fact that I think NW is that pesky team that everyone expects you to beat and if you lose to them, something is wrong with your program instead of NW is pretty good... I don't like their fans. Yes, you're at a good school. Yes, you're smart. That doesn't mean you have tradition. And it doesn't mean you know CF. Also, they are the second best school in Chicago despite what they claim.

OSU - I have a feeling they will be Nebraska's new Texas. They will be that mental block for the huskers. Probably unfair to label already, but I can't shake the feeling. The recent problems don't help. Besides, singing "Choking in the Horseshoe" (to the tune of smoking in the boys room) is too much fun.

Teams I'm not sure about:

Iowa- I think this will develop into a great game, but I'm not sure if this goes Nebraska/Colorado or Nebraska/OU. I'm hoping respect develops on both sides.

Wisc - not sure about their fans

Teams I'll want to beat, but respect:

Michigan - I've preached for some time that Neb and Mich have many parallels. A lot of similarities in the program and fans. Nebraska/OU used to have a level of respect. You wanted to beat the other team, but when the game was over, there was respect for what transpired and the traditions of both programs. I think this game has that potential

Sparty - always had a soft spot for sparty. I like the underdog

Comment

Yup, that's Penn State's cross-divisional rival. Alvarez wanted them bad too but I think the conf wanted to throw PSU a bone and make sure they got a premier game to rival OSU-Michigan

everyone wants a piece of nebraska

Comment

If OSU, PSU, and Michigan had been put in the same division, I wonder who would've gotten the Huskerz?

Comment

Ent: I think your perceptions of the teams you noted is pretty close. I am hoping against hope that when the Huskers go to Columbus the first time, that you'll be received with some amount of respect, but I have serious doubts. And, the first time you guys win in Columbus, don't plan on staying in town very long afterward. especially with that setup you have. You'll want to break that down, and get out of town.... fast. And ... you can expect to be pulled over by the Ohio Highway Patrol at least once during your journey. I'm totally serious.

I've never been to Penn State, but from what I've seen of their fans when they visit Ann Arbor, your perception of them is pretty accurate. Beating them is the only way to shut them up. It was so sweet when we beat them on Manningham's last second catch a few years ago. We had a bunch of PSU fans around us, and their silence was priceless.

Northwestern does have a bit of that "Duke-we're-smarter-than-you" arrogance to them, but for the most part, visits to Evanston are fairly pleasant. In fact, I'm planning to make that road trip later this year. My son is actually considering going there to get his masters degree. Again, beating them is the key. If you lose to them, they'll be just like any other obnoxious fan who has to rub it in. Put cotton in your ears, and leave town quickly.

When it comes to Michigan State, I think that Nebraska coming into the Big Ten scares the crap out of them. You guys busted them up a few times, and they remember that. They remember the days when the Huskers flat-out dominated college football, and they don't want to see their boys facing that kind of machine. I think your first couple of visits to East Lansing should be alright, because they won't hate you as much as they do us.

I've never been to Wisconsin, but listening to the people here who HAVE ventured to Madison, its not much better than Columbus. From what I understand, you have to run thru a gauntlet of fraternity houses to get to the stadium, and they make it tough on visiting fans. Plus the fact that they WANT to establish a rivalry with you guys, and things could get tough there.

Purdue and Indiana are two sides of the same coin. When they're good, they'll let you know it, and you'll receive the standard visiting fan treatment. But, for the most part, you'll have fairly uneventful visits to West Lafayette and Bloomington. When it comes to Bloomington, don't plan on leaving town quickly. They have absolutely no clue on how to direct traffic. And, there are no nearby expressways. Just plan on staying at your tailgate site for about 3-4 hours after the game. By then the traffic out of town should start moving. I'm serious.

Illinois hates Michigan about as bad as OhNo hates us, but we don't necessarily reciprocate that hatred. The Illini are more like a clone of MSU for us. A snotty nosed little brother who always wants to come along with you and your friends when you want to go out looking for chicks. I'm not sure how the Huskers will be received in Champaign. Maybe some of the guys here who have been there can shed some light on the subject.

Can't help much with Minnesota or Iowa, except for how their fans are when they come to Ann Arbor. Iowa fans are probably the classiest of all the visiting fans, in my opinion. They'll come visit your tailgate, and actually have pleasant conversation with you. If they win, they'll celebrate amongst themselves, then pack up and leave. Not much rubbing it in, or any other OhNo-like nastiness.

I am still looking forward to having the Huskers in the Big Ten. I think its a great addition, and I think there will be a lot of great football.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Sheeze ..... you must be retired.

I'm going to have to read your post tonight!!!!!
                          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

liney.. when I lived in Michigan, I had to travel to Cleveland a couple of times..... around 10. About every other time it seemed I got pulled over.. not for speeding, but "i thought your tags were expired, mind if I look around"? So I know what you're talking about.

As for MSU being scared, I actually think 2 years from now, MSU, Wisc and Iowa will have very bitter feeling towards nebraska. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect I'm not. It won't have to do with wins or losses, but rather TV. Unless contracts change in the future, I think Nebraska will be bumping some of there ABC games onto the BigTen network. Our pull and the games Nebraska is playing will be more valuable. I think they'll feel the results.

Comment

If OSU, PSU, and Michigan had been put in the same division, I wonder who would've gotten the Huskerz?

PSU. I think that was there gift for now expanding East.

Comment

I'm still hoping that someone comes to their senses at the Big Ten offices, and goes with the geographical east/west alignment of the conference.

This crappy idea of a "Michigan v OhNo State rematch" in the B10 championship is for the birds. Forget about that, and move into a sensible geographic alignment. The CCG will be a good determiner of who is the BCS representative.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X