No announcement yet.

Mich v ND Discussion. In memory of and to honor Clashmore Mike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I saw it as giving them what they want without joining the B1G. ND needs to play 'national' games to sustain being a 'national' program, games vs USC, Texas, Stanford, M, Ohio State help them do this.

In the B1G, they wouldn't play in Texas, California or the northeast often enough to be a national program. They take pride in their silly independence but it's important to sustain a national following.

Comment

Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
      I guess I saw it as giving them what they want without joining the B1G. ND needs to play 'national' games to sustain being a 'national' program, games vs USC, Texas, Stanford, M, Ohio State help them do this.

In the B1G, they wouldn't play in Texas, California or the northeast often enough to be a national program. They take pride in their silly independence but it's important to sustain a national following.
      Actually, I could see them as an associate member say 8 games against the conference that would leave them with 4 OOC games that would allow them to take care of the main rivalries (USC, Stanford, Navy and another one)

A typical year you could have ND against 2-3 of UM/MSU/OSU and Penn State and 1-2 against IU/Rutgers/Maryland

And then 4 against the West with 1-2 every year against Iowa/Wisconsin/Nebraska and 2-3 against Northwestern/Purdue/IU/Illinois

So in a typical year ND could have a schedule like this

(Random Rivalry)
      Michigan
      Michigan State
      Navy
      Purdue
      Rutgers
      Northwestern
      Stanford
      Wisconsin
      Ohio State/Penn State
      Nebraska
      USC

I don't know that looks like a nation schedule to me (it also looks like a very hard one as well)
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

B1G won't allow an associate football member, Notre Dame's value is their football program and B1G would require Notre Dame home games to be B1G games. ND playing a full B1G schedule won't allow them to schedule their 'national' programs in California and where a lot of their fans are in the northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
          B1G won't allow an associate football member, Notre Dame's value is their football program and B1G would require Notre Dame home games to be B1G games. ND playing a full B1G schedule won't allow them to schedule their 'national' programs in California and where a lot of their fans are in the northeast.
          So they join the B1G 9 games--leaves three OOC (USC, Stanford takes care of CA). Navy is an East Coast game.

Depending which division ND was in they could have at least one game in the East Coast (Penn State/Rutgers) with BIG. Ohio State and Michigan have national cache.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

ND will never do it and if they played that schedule, it would be the most difficult in the country every season.

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              In the end, Notre Dame is a bigger name. This will be a huge national game. A home and home with Arkie isn't as valuable, PR wise.

Ideally, you keep Arkie AND add ND, but money has to be made, and you can't fill your non-cons with home and homes.

Good move by M.

I think you misspelled "ND told Michigan they wanted the game"...
              Last edited by entropy; July 11, 2016, 12:12 PM.
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Replacing Arkansas with ND -- bleh.

Comment

I think Ent nailed it.

ND wanted to start scheduling Michigan again, and once again Michigan kowtowed to ND's demands.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Notre Dame is more prestigious and will be viewed as a better win for M even though they are easier to beat than Arkansas. This was a no-brainer.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You got the no-brainer part right
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Yeah, no kidding. I actually think Michigan would get more national cred for beating Arky, especially on the road, than ND. Again.

Comment

The Hogs are a middle tier SEC team. You win, people shrug their shoulders and offer you a tepid "congrats." You lose and you hear "SEC, BABY!"

Notre Dame is a national brand. The game will be huge. Gameday guaranteed.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I guess I'm just tired of playing ND at the expense of any other big time OOC game.

Comment

Beat their brains in and the decision won't vex you further.

Comment

2 on, 2 off okay for me. M needs to play other major programs in the south; Oklahoma, Florida, UCLA, Texas like they've set up.

Comment

Working...
                                X