Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• James Rosen left Fox over sexual harassment claims. Have to admit this one surprises me but in retrospect there were some signs that something was up. In the latter part of last year it seemed like he was getting less screen time and was relegated to more unimportant stories. For an 18-year vet of the network and someone who could claim persecution by the Obama administration, Fox didn't give him much fanfare when he left.

I'm curious who he tried to make out with in an elevator and to whom he offered 'help' getting more appearances on Bret Baier's show.

Former colleagues allege the chief Washington correspondent left Fox News after sexually harassing female co-workers. Rosen's departure followed network scrutiny of his behavior toward women there.
      Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; January 10, 2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Amen to that DSL.

let's keep in mind Lord Acton's observation: "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
        Last edited by Da Geezer; January 10, 2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• My boy Amash is at it again, trying to limit the FISA courts and to limit what can be collected:

A yearslong debate over warrantless surveillance and Americans’ privacy rights faces a crucial test on Thursday in the House of Representatives.

from the article:

The N.S.A. began collecting Americans’ international phone calls and emails without a warrant in October 2001 as part of the Bush administration’s post-Sept. 11 Stellarwind program. In 2008, after the program had come to light, Congress legalized a form of it by enacting Section 702 of the FISA law. That law enabled the program to expand to Silicon Valley firms, not just telecoms, and to all foreign intelligence purposes, not just counterterrorism.

In late 2012, Congress extended the law for five years without changes. But the pending expiration of Section 702 is forcing lawmakers to address its substance for the first time since the 2013 leaks about N.S.A. programs by Edward J. Snowden set off a major debate about 21st-century surveillance technology and privacy rights.

They will keep it, but today's revelations that the Trump Dossier was used in order to get a FISA warrant to surveil the Trump campaign is evidence enough that the FISA courts have to be changed into some form of court that actually considers the rights of American citizens. You progs may approve of the surveillance, but how about when it happens to Biden or Oprah in 2020?

Comment

• “The president is again calling the Russia investigation a ‘Democratic hoax.' It is not. Fox News has been reporting and will continue to report that two people have pleaded guilty.” -Shepard Smith Fox News

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
              They will keep it, but today's revelations that the Trump Dossier was used in order to get a FISA warrant to surveil the Trump campaign is evidence enough that the FISA courts have to be changed into some form of court that actually considers the rights of American citizens. You progs may approve of the surveillance, but how about when it happens to Biden or Oprah in 2020?
              What revelation are you talking about? And I support investigating Oprah biden or anyone else that is working with a foreign government to impact our elections.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Exactly, both sides should want to get to the bottom of what the Russians were doing. It's not a hard concept. If Oprah is courting the Russians for hacked emails, she should be under investigation. It is a very uncontroversial opinion.

Comment

• It would be revelatory if the FBI knew that and DIDN'T react.

Comment

• Comment

Attached Files
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Amusing. Sarah Sanders boats about a Quinnipiac Poll that says 66% think the economy is good. Hooray Trump!

[ame]https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/951287091379560450[/ame]

But uh-oh...the same exact poll also found the below. It also said Obama deserves more credit for the economy than Trump (by a 49-40% margin) and gave Trump a 36% job approval rating.

But hey! Cherry-picking rocks! Hooray conservative values!

Comment

• What a great poll for the President. 66% say the economy is doing great. Wow! Just terrific

Also 63% say he's dishonest

59% say he doesn't have leadership skills

59% say he doesn't care about average Americans

65% say he doesn't share their values

And 49% say Obama, not Trump, deserves the credit for the current economy.

Quinnipiac University Poll’s list of recent and past poll results for political races, state and national elections, and issues of public concern.

Still, great numbers for a great President!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            What a great poll for the President. 66% say the economy is doing great. Wow! Just terrific

Also 63% say he's dishonest

59% say he doesn't have leadership skills

59% say he doesn't care about average Americans

65% say he doesn't share their values

And 49% say Obama, not Trump, deserves the credit for the current economy.

Quinnipiac University Poll’s list of recent and past poll results for political races, state and national elections, and issues of public concern.

Still, great numbers for a great President!
                            I kind of think they are actually. If 37% of Americans still believe he's honest or 35% believe that he actually has values, he has pulled off a near-miracle in PR.

Comment

....The N.S.A. began collecting Americans’ international phone calls and emails without a warrant in October 2001 as part of the Bush administration’s post-Sept. 11 Stellarwind program..... You progs may approve of the surveillance, but how about when it happens to Biden or Oprah in 2020?
                              Its the rightwing nutjobs that brought about and continue to approve of Stellarwind, not 'progs'. It was Bush/Cheney that put forth, installed and approved that abomination. Further, as it was crystal clear that the program was not only illegal but unconstitutional, Bush had Congress pass legislation that shielded the telecomms from financial ruin the lawsuits would bring and criminal charges against the co-conspirators who were licking Bush's boots. You right wingers use the Constitution as toilet paper, try to ascribe your own illegal and immoral behaviors to groups that differ from you politically, and then blatantly lie about it all. The right wing mantra: When in doubt, deflect; when certain, lie. Put party and power over the Constitution.

Progs approving of surveillance? There's plenty of them here. Why don't you poll them? Or won't the answer you receive resonate well in your echo chamber?
                              Last edited by Ghengis Jon; January 11, 2018, 05:21 AM.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Jeff: Is that your own writing or did you cut and paste it.
                                It's not mine. It's from the article I linked to in my original post that started this conversation. I will always put quote marks around or italicize something I've taken from another author. You'll have to scroll up to locate it.

Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                                This is not a debating point. The simple truth is that whenever tax cuts have been given to the American people, the economy has expanded and the General Welfare has been improved.
                                Oh, I got your point. I don't think you can substantiate the "simple truth" without a ton of caveats but have at it.

You want to talk about Social Justice, but I want to talk about Justice..........Well, Jefferson was dealing with the concept of Justice, which is totally unrelated to Social Justice. Justice is the rule of law. Social Justice is the redistribution of income and wealth.
                                Look, I tied together the concept of "justice" as it was seen by the framers with this concept from the piece I linked to ...... to encourage equal opportunity for all citizens; and to make a decent provision for the poorest and most vulnerable. All of this is meant to allow people to flourish and to advance human happiness.

You seemed to like that piece and said everyone ought to read it. Maybe you didn't look at it closely enough or just read the parts carefully that resonate with you but not the ones that don't. Shocking.

Kapture mentions that if you provide modifiers to the term "justice" as in social justice, you skew it's meaning. I don't agree with that position in the context of this discussion. It is clear to me that Medicare and Social Security, for example, are entities that are consistent with the framers intent to "make a decent provision for the poorest and most vulnerable."

Folks of your's, Crash's, Wiz's and Kapture's political persuasion aren't going to agree with me so, there's not much point in discussing it further. We agree to disagree.

I will concede that I suspect all 4 of you are pretty decent guys, except Wiz, and probably don't have a problem with reasonable limits to the government's "provision for the poorest and most vulnerable." My limits may be different than yours and how those programs are funded may also be different. Not much to discuss there either.

How about getting me that data of the 52%?
                                Try this:

About half of Americans own stock, though most stocks are owned by the wealthiest. For many, a booming stock market does not offer direct benefits.
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 11, 2018, 08:51 AM.
                                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X