OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
    And a whole plethora of Roku channels on the Roku.
    All the Roku channels are, are just apps. Them calling then channels doesn't make them not apps.
    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
      All the Roku channels are, are just apps. Them calling then channels doesn't make them not apps.
      True but for the most part they are free.
      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
        I can't believe they're still getting $4,000 for the Segway. That thing has been on the market for several years now - I thought the $4K price tag was an early-adopter price, but apparently not.

They had a vision of these things all over the place, thousands of people riding them on the sidewalks of every town. But in order for that to happen, they'd have to be a $1000 or so unit in my opinion.

The only sales of them of any real significance are to corporations.
        You see a lot of tourist areas renting them. And I agree they are too expensive to become mainstream.
        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
          I bought a 32" Visco LCD from Walmart.com

Total cost to my door was $669.66

I've got it hooked up to my computer right now.

It's gr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-reat!
          Amazing how much the prices have come down. We just got a Samsung 50" 4k set from Costco for $529.

Comment

• Wow, the new Firefox "quantum" really screwed me.

It killed 10 of my extensions, most notably FireFTP that I used to upload and download stuff from my server.

What a fucking clusterfuck.
            The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Anyone have Sling TV? I'm thinking of getting it for a month to watch the bowl games.

Comment

Anyone have Sling TV? I'm thinking of getting it for a month to watch the bowl games.
                I do, what do you want to know?
                AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• While I am in this thread, I just got a new car last week. A 2018 Jeep Compass Limited. It came with a 8.4" Uconnect stereo. This unit supports Android auto and Carplay. I don't know if the carplay is worth it but Android Auto is fantastic. I didn't get Nav and didn't know that it had AA at the time. But with Android Auto you can get TbT Nav on screen from the phone, not just from Google Maps, but Waze as well (maybe others as well). All of a sudden a $1000 option is made useless. Also doing voice searches for directions is a breeze.

But you also get really good audio integration for a lot of music services (even audible for those who like audio books). The hands free text messaging probably isn't as good as Siri, but still a decent capability that I have been missing.

While I like my Jeep a lot so far. I am not telling people to get that. But what I am saying is that if you are getting a car new off the lot. I would put Android Auto or Apple Carplay (depending on your phone) on to the list of features that it would be nice to have.
                  AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Tanks, Top.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

While I am in this thread, I just got a new car last week. A 2018 Jeep Compass Limited. It came with a 8.4" Uconnect stereo. This unit supports Android auto and Carplay. I don't know if the carplay is worth it but Android Auto is fantastic. I didn't get Nav and didn't know that it had AA at the time. But with Android Auto you can get TbT Nav on screen from the phone, not just from Google Maps, but Waze as well (maybe others as well). All of a sudden a $1000 option is made useless. Also doing voice searches for directions is a breeze.

But you also get really good audio integration for a lot of music services (even audible for those who like audio books). The hands free text messaging probably isn't as good as Siri, but still a decent capability that I have been missing.

While I like my Jeep a lot so far. I am not telling people to get that. But what I am saying is that if you are getting a car new off the lot. I would put Android Auto or Apple Carplay (depending on your phone) on to the list of features that it would be nice to have.
                      My 2018 Equinox also has Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I agree with you, the Android Auto has a lot of very cool features. "Okay, Google. Navigate to Costco" and it will pull up the best route and off you go...all hands-free! I've used Amazon Music and Spotify with it but haven't tried any audiobooks as of yet.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• My Renegade has the Uconnect, I can operate my phone through it via Bluetooth, but I mainly use the XM radio. Also, it has the navigation system with it. The best thing though is I was able to download the siriusxm app on my phone and can stream XM while I'm at work, which includes listening to Mark and Jim on Sunday afternoons lament the boys in Honolulu blue.
                        Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

I do, what do you want to know?
                          Is it reliable, does it stutter and buffer a lot, how is the customer service?

Comment

Is it reliable, does it stutter and buffer a lot, how is the customer service?
                            Don't know about customer service because I haven't had an issue with it. There are no drop in signal, it does a very smooth but rate drop if the connection speed is low. Buffering is only an issue on my Apple TV.

My only complaint would be that I pay $5 for DVR. Some times certain recording just error out on certain devices I use and it's never the same one when it does that. Of all the devices my Apple TV has acted up the most, sometimes requiring me to close out the app, or it just refusing to start a VOD episode. My Fire TV HD, phone, and my mom's Ruku premiere, and my Xbox all are great outside the limited DVR issue.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Tapatalk keeps putting up an upgrade notification and when you tap the back icon it goes to an upgrade page then you have to tap the back button to get back to the posts. Does anyone know of an alternative to Tapatalk?

Comment

• UK, what does the upgrade notification say? Is it an upgrade for the site or for your app? If it's for the site, I can look into it...

Sorry for the trouble.
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X