Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 138, 2017 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChatSports (not a particularly reliable source because, click bait) is reporting Willie Taggart has lured Greg Frey to FSU and it's a done deal. He'll leave after the bowl game. There are plenty of counter points to this claim. Take it for what it's worth.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• The Frey to FSU comment that appeared at ChatSports and was repeated at mgoboard has been taken down by both sites.

So much for that rumor.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Wonder if that's aimed at Nicholas Petit-Frere's recuitment.

Comment

• Good point. The shit that goes on in the world of recruiting is pretty disgusting.

Comment

• Not that I would be surprised to see Frey leave. He's a zone guy and zone didn't work. Just guessing.

Comment

• The rumors of a Frey departure to FSU have resurfaced with Football Scoop, the Rivals FSU web site and Webb has apparently mentioned it. I've not seen links to any sites except Football Scoop:

Florida State: Sources tell FootballScoop Michigan tackles / tight ends coach Greg Frey will be Willie Taggart’s new offensive line coach at FSU as mentioned in Warchant’s article below. Frey most recently coached offensive line at Indiana (prior to coming to Ann Arbor) and previously coached at West Virginia and South Florida as well.

Here are some comments I've read about this: Frey makes good money at M and folks commenting on this don't think FSU can match it. He'd be taking a pay-cut. Frey wouldn't leave without JH's blessing. Reportedly, they have a good relationship and Frey has been a key figure in OL recruiting. JH wouldn't want Frey to leave right now. The Zone Blocking experiment didn't work out that well; however, some expect M to run both Zone and Gap schemes going forward. Loosing Frey compromises some continuity in that endeavor. With Shea Patterson at QB, zone schemes are much more effective for the kind of QB he is and the pistol formation he runs the offense best from.

Frankly, I have a problem with the multiple blocking approaches JH seems to be looking to use on offense. Dantonio's comment post his win v. M seems prescient. i.e., (paraphrasing) we saw 30 some different formations that resulted in a manageable set that were basically the same. Brian has also commented on this saying the multiple sets have not made M's rushing offense that great and may have compromised pass-pro.

So, a Frey departure, assuming JH blesses it (or wants it) makes some sense only if a de-emphasis on zone blocking schemes is going to happen in 2018. Some support of that approach can be gained from looking at M's last couple of games where gap blocking predominated in about a 80/20 split. It had been more 50/50 earlier in the season.

Either way, the smoke seems to indicate something is afoot with the offense/OL. I have no problems with that. The O/OL needs some work. One negative would be Frey, if he goes, could take Petit-Frere with him to FSU or he might just stay in-state. BTW, it's 78 degrees in Fort Lauderdale whee I am right now; Its around 12 in AA, 40 and windy in ATL ...... don't let anyone tell you M doesn't have some significant geographic obstacles to overcome in the recruiting battles.

Comment

• On what basis is it thought that Frey wouldn't leave without JH's blessing?

Comment

• ........ a comment from a poster I trust at mgoboard.....

Here's the entire comment by the poster:

Don?t think so (in response to a post up-thread that JH wasn't happy with Frey), but Taggart isn?t going to poach from Jim. If this happens it will be because Jim wanted Frey to leave. Since Frey is A) a good coach and B) our main recruiter for the #1 OT in the country whose top two we are in, I doubt Jim wants Frey to leave right now.

Comment

• Tx.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                      So it was the S&C coach's fault that nobody could pick up a stunt or a blitz and the QBs couldn't hit the broad side of a barn? Looks like Harbaugh is blaming somebody who had absolutely nothing to do with these problems. Of all of the issues that we had last year, not being athletic enough, being too slow, or getting pushed around at the LOS rarely (if ever) surfaced as a significant one. At this point I am reallly wondering about what the hell is going on in side of Harbaugh's head.

Look at how our DL have developed the last few years. They have gotten bigger and they been physically dominant. It's a sign of a great S&C program.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; December 28, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• I'm not sure that connecting the dots and concluding JH fired him because he wasn't doing a good job a bit of a stretch.

The only thing I saw was a comment that JH made after the osu loss that M has to get stronger. I don't see how one can conclude from that statement that Harbaugh is shaking up his staff and fired Tolbert.

My guess is that Tolbert is just moving on. Nothing to see here; only the sports press trying to make something out of nothing.

Comment

• M has to get stronger. I don't see how one can conclude from that statement that Harbaugh is shaking up his staff and fired Tolbert
                          I don't know how you could conclude anything else from that statement and Tolbert's subsequent departure.

Comment

• Tolbert had a better offer from Saline High School.

Comment

• In today's news, Ja'Raymond Hall is now a Chippewa. There were rumors he'd not be on the team in 2018. What's weird (or maybe not) is that he practiced for the bowl game. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall.

What's disturbing is that he's a Harbaugh instate recruit and a 3* OT. Per mgoblog, he lost a lot of weight when he entered the S&C program and I wonder if there's a nexus between Tolbert leaving and Hall transferring. Just adds to Hanni's position on this if there is a nexus.

In any event, this is one more loss on the OL. I hope he was really not good rather than good but not good enough for HARBAUGH!!

This was mentioned but only in a YouTube video. Here's some more meat on the new S&C coach, Ben Herbert. Looks to me like a decent hire.

Herbert was at Wisconsin for S&C coach for 11 years, the last four of which as the head S&C guy, before leaving with Bret Bielema to go to Arkansas four years ago. That didn't work out quite as well as Herbert might have hoped, but Arkansas did have some consistently enormous offensive lines, just like Wisconsin did before him. Herbert's time at UW is probably more instructive since the Badgers aren't operating at a severe talent deficit to most of their opponents, and picking someone up from the program that makes the most out of the least recruiting in the Big Ten, and possibly the nation, seems like a good plan.

Comment

• He was passed at OT by about 3 in his own recruiting class... Way too early to pass judgement or give up but he was well behind Hudson & Steuber and behind Filliaga, Honigford too.

Comment

Working...
                                X