Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hack View Post
    I think that it's right and fair for Michigan to walk away from this thinking that the first course of action is to fix its own issues with turnovers. It's true that you can't make that many mistakes on the road and expect to win. But that does not mean you cannot expect better from the refs and the system. It looks like we now have Buckeye Bobby to go with Spartan Bob. Michigan should not tolerate that shit. Harbaugh said his piece, and it's now up to the university's athletic department to put some people on the job of referee reform.
    Totally agree. Just because Michigan contributed to their own demise, that doesn't mean they shouldn't expect better from the Big Ten. Was that really the best officiating crew available? It doesn't matter if it's called whining by other fans. It is right to highlight incompetence. It is right to reveal that officials were known fans of the home team. You don't have to lie there and take it while you're being raped. It took Bo bitching after the 10-10 tie in 1973 to get things changed, and that benefited everyone.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

There used to be conflict-of-interest rules for The Game, and now apparently there are not. I'd like to know why.

Comment

In the SEC, there are conflict of interest requirements for officials. Living in the same state as of one the teams you're officiating is not a consideration, though. And rumors of a ref "being a fan" isn't enough.

Doesn't stop rival fans from assuming that there are issues with the refs' loyalty. Here's a nice photoshop of Tom Ritter, a ref that some assume is in the tank for Bama:

Fwiw, SEC refs aren't biased, imo. They're just generally incompetent.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You would have to ask the B1G Head of Officials that. There are even conflict of interest guidelines in high school selections. I know in my experiences the conferences I've worked in are always very aware of potential conflicts. It's not always about what state you live in. You have to go deeper than that. Even an appearance of potential conflicts should be dealt with...even if you feel the official can be totally unbiased you don't want to have a chance for controversy yet you want the best crews doing the high profile games. Tough job.
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I could see that. ``And rumors of a ref "being a fan" isn't enough.'' -- totally agree. Very subjective. Plenty of people could handle that and still ref a fair game. Some could not. Clearly in the past, The Game required officials from other states.

Overall, it's somebody's job to go shed light on the process. We should all, if we want to, know what that is.

Comment

It's the biggest fucking game in CFB this year. Not only were there osu fans and those residing in Ohio selected, but another that was FIRED previously for incompetence.

I'd like to hear the spin from the B1G as to how they determined that was the best crew available.
              Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

I don't know why you have to exclude refs who live inside the state. I grew up in Louisiana and live in Alabama now. Of course I can't do a Bama game, but I would be impartial with other teams.
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; November 28, 2016, 12:08 PM.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

In the past The Game excluded officials who lived in either Michigan or Ohio. Required them to be from other states. As far as I'm concerned though, I don't know how far you'd have to go but true objectivity is crucial. Maybe Trump can divert NASA's climate-change funding to doubling-down on finding intelligent life out there. No better way to ensure zero conflict of interest than to teach aliens who have no skin in the game how to ref.

Comment

I have an idea: you could get an SEC crew for The Game and we could get a B1G crew for the Iron Bowl. I would actually love that.

Comment

Refs could end up dead.

(insert wiz joke here)
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

I think refs from ALL states should be excluded. We have a number of good f?tbol refs here in Costa Rica who would be glad to participate.

They would have to learn the rules, but how long could that take; couple of afternoons maybe.

Comment

el heh
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            I have an idea: you could get an SEC crew for The Game and we could get a B1G crew for the Iron Bowl. I would actually love that.
                            That's been done in the past, I know. In basketball maybe but not in football? Not sure. How it is for non-con games, right?

Comment

For some non-con games, the visiting team brings their conference's refs with them.

It could just open up other controversies, though. Imagine a B1G crew making a bad call that kept Bama outta the playoff and put Penn State in it (or whatever).

Comment

Third-party crews.

I'm sure some of that will increase expense, but I'm certainly not averse to that. Reffing is an important element of the whole thing and an appropriate slice of the pie needs to be devoted to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X