X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of M MEN'S BASKETBALL 2016-2017

Good little write up on one our new assistants:

New Michigan assistant coach Billy Donlon has earned a reputation for defensive prowess, and many feel that was one of the primary reasons head coach John Beilein brought him in to replace Bacari Alexander. Donlon became a clear priority once Alexander took the University of Detroit job and assistant LaVall Jordan was hired at Milwaukee, and Beilein got his man.

Donlon?s success at Wright State is well documented. He won 20-plus games in three of his last four seasons, including a 22-13 record last season (13-5 Horizon League, second place), and was still let go in a decision that angered many.

Wright State?s loss is Michigan?s gain. Kentucky head coach John Calipari singled out Donlon?s defense as the reason his team didn?t play well in a 78-63 victory over WSU last year.

Cqozfcjycroaby8kis6w
    Billy Donlon
    USA TODAY
    ?This was Wright State ? they played pack line, they played zone, they stayed in the lane, they spread the court,? he said. ?They picked one of my guys who couldn't guard the dribbler, and they hung around because of it.

?Billy did a great job. They did what they had to do to have a chance to win. They had a chance to win the whole game. I didn't think we played particularly well, but I?ve got to give Wright State credit for having us play that way.?

Beilein, too, remembered a number of Donlon teams over the years that gave his own teams fits ? ?like, how are we going to score on these guys?? Beilein said when Donlon was hired.

Donlon, meanwhile, still fondly remembers the effort against Kentucky.

?We played a little different than the pack line - we play the gaps,? he said. ?There?s a difference - not a big one, but there is one. We play the gaps, and Kentucky ? they?re well coached. We really wanted to tease them into threes. We didn?t want them attacking the lane or attacking the rim, but they only shot ten of them and made two.

?I remember telling our guys before the game, if we can get them to shoot in the 20s or close to that from the three-point line, it could be a great night for us. What you want to try to do when you play the gaps ? it?s constant guys in position. The most important thing is getting in position and trusting your position.?

You?ve still got to know where your man is, he added, but it?s more important to see the big picture.

?Pack line guys would emphasize the same things, getting yourself into position, anticipating where it?s going to go next to get yourself into proper position next,? he added. ?But yeah, I thought we had a decent plan for that one, and they still scored close to 80 on us.

?Point guard] Tyler Ulis ? it?s hard to play against such a terrific point guard. The hardest thing to prepare for on the defensive side of the ball is when you have an elite point guard, because he?s going to get it every time almost and there?s not a lot of some game planning for that. He?s going to have it in his hands. Just think about preparing for Trey Burke; then think about preparing for Trey Burke under John Beilein. I was smart enough not to put Michigan on the schedule that year.?

The coaches started practice Wednesday with a clear plan on what they were going to work on. The details will remain in house, but it?s clear Donlon is a great fit and could provide significant help with defense, an area in which the Wolverines were lacking last year.

?Coach Beilein was one of the first five people to call me after [Wright State] let me go,? Donlon said. ?Anytime we talked we might spend three minutes on the actual job of it, and then basketball or life for another hour.?

Now's the time to shift the focus to the job, and Donjon appears more than ready.
    Last edited by lineygoblue; June 30, 2016, 10:03 AM.

We already have a Mens Basketball thread where we could have changed the title ...

But, I'll leave this here anyway ..
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I just unstuck the old one, so that can fall to the bottom and use for later reference to find people's old dumb posts, to ridicule them with.

Comment

Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
        I just unstuck the old one, so that can fall to the bottom and use for later reference to find people's old dumb posts, to ridicule them with.
        Crap!
        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Per CBS Sports Jon Rothstein, Michigan has bolstered their basketball schedule, adding a Big 12 opponent as a home-and-home series. (What's next for the Wolverines? Make

Home-and-home with Texas starting this year.

Comment

Wrong sport!

Comment

In football, we play them in '24 (away), '27 (home).

Other notables:

Florida ('17, in Dallas)
              Notre Dame ('18, away - '19, home)
              Washington & Virginia Tech in '20/'21 H&H
              UCLA ('22 home, '23 away)
              Oklahoma ('25, away, '26 home)

Comment

John Beilein says Jumpman switch exceeded expectations

Zach Shaw - 20 hours ago 0

If the celebrations, Tweets and booming apparel sales didn't give it away, Michigan is very pleased with its switch to Nike and Jumpman apparel. And one of the more instrumental components to the switch counts himself among those ecstatic with the change.

Michigan basketball coach John Beilein, in an interview with "The Huge Show," unpacked the fallout of the apparel switch, noting that — though his team was one of the Wolverines' most successful teams during the Adidas era — he has already seen an impact in recruiting and fan excitement around the program.

“The launch of the Jumpman went beyond where anybody even expected it to go,” Beilein said. “I think any time that you have something unique like that, it’s helpful. Some kids will really love the Nike gear, the Jordan gear more than others, (but) we just had five guys drafted in the first round in four years, so the Adidas brand was OK too.

"But this is still something that is so unique, is tremendous, and we anticipate a lot of interest in Michigan. … I think it will help us a great deal."

Beilein also revealed that he first caught wind of the potential switch to Jumpman apparel on Fourth of July weekend in 2015, before Michigan officially decided on a new apparel provider. Then-Interim Athletic Director Jim Hackett called Beilein to ask for his input, and after some research on the booming apprel industry, the coach fell in love with the idea.

“Jim Hackett called me and said 'It looks like we could be going to Nike, what do you think about Jumpman and going to Jordan gear?’ And I knew little about it, but not a lot, so I called my assistants and we did our research. I called (North Carolina coach) Roy Williams and (Georgetown coach) John Thompson.

“I wanted to make sure it was the right thing. Yeah, it looks fashionable and looks great, but is it going to work for us? Are we going to be able to get enough of what we need? And they all said ‘Absolutely.’ ”

From there, Michigan added women's basketball and football to the list of its teams to be outfitted by Jumpman apparel, and the gear debuted August 1 as a staggering success.

Beilein said that football has gotten the bulk of the gear so far since its season is first, but noted that Jumpman apparel is already thriving with the basketball team as well.

"We love it, it’s terrific our kids are comfortable," Beilein said. "I think it’s a tremendous addition to what is already a great brand here at Michigan."

Comment

Full schedule out. Early prediction running through it quickly, I got 22-9, assuming Armstrong State is an exhibition.

Fri., Nov. 4 vs. Armstrong State

Fri., Nov. 11 vs. Howard

Sun., Nov. 13 vs. IUPUI

Thu., Nov. 17 vs. Marquette New York, N.Y. 9:30 p.m., ESPN2

Fri., Nov. 18 Pittsburgh or SMU New York, N.Y. 4:30 or 6:30 p.m.

Wed., Nov. 23 at South Carolina

Sat., Nov. 26 vs. Mount St. Mary's

Wed., Nov. 30 vs. Virginia Tech (ACC/Big Ten Challenge) 7:00 p.m., ESPN2

Sat., Dec. 3 vs. Kennesaw State

Tue., Dec. 6 vs. Texas

Sat., Dec. 10 at UCLA

Tue., Dec. 13 vs.Central Arkansas, 9:00 p.m., BIG TEN NETWORK

Sat., Dec. 17 vs.Maryland Eastern Shore, 3:00 p.m., BIG TEN NETWORK

Thu., Dec. 22 vs.Furman Furman Crisler Center 7:00 p.m., BIG TEN NETWORK

Sun., Jan. 1 at Iowa

Wed., Jan. 4 vs.Penn State

Sat., Jan. 7 vs.Maryland

Wed., Jan. 11 at Illinois

Sat., Jan. 14 vs. Nebraska

Tue., Jan. 17 at Wisconsin

Sat., Jan. 21 vs. Illinois

Thu., Jan. 26 vs.Indiana

Sun., Jan. 29 at Michigan State

Sat., Feb. 4 vs. Ohio State

Tue., Feb. 7 vs. Michigan State

Sun., Feb. 12 at Indiana

Thu., Feb. 16 vs. Wisconsin

Sun., Feb. 19 at Minnesota

Wed., Feb. 22 at Rutgers

Sat., Feb. 25 vs. Purdue

Wed., Mar. 1 at Northwestern

Sun., Mar. 5 at Nebraska

Comment

Whoa - 1/16 to 2/17. It's almost all packed into that. Should be a pretty easy finish though, so hopefully they're trending up by early March after taking some lickings.

Comment

Yeah, hoping for 4-4 during that brutal stretch. 5 of 8 are at home.

Comment

First pass by I got them at (24-7, 13-5)
                        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

They play MSU twice in a 8 day stretch.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                            First pass by I got them at (24-7, 13-5)
                            That would be damned impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                              That would be damned impressive.

Split against the big three (Wisky, Indy and MSU) and beat Illini and OSU at home that gets you to 5-3 in that stand. Beyond that Maryland is probably a loss and there is another loss in there as well. Add in a split at the Madison Square event along with one more (Texas?, Va Tech?, UCLA?) loss. That would be a very good season (prolly top 5 seed heading into B1G tourney?), but I don't think it is an unreachable one.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                              X