No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad OSU wasn't in on any big-time recruits during that period! I'm more or less glad that OSU's big-time recruits are entirely explicable (Conley and Oden loved Matta; Sullinger is from Columbus; most of the others were in-state kids or not quite "big time" (Evan Turner).

I assume that any potential first round kid is getting paid in some fashion and have been for some time. I'm sure they've been getting money to play AAU ball and then the colleges work through those guys.

I'm still unclear on criminal fraud counts for a host of reasons. But, eh, whatever.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Most of the talk seems to be about the severity of it rather than the actualities, but, so it goes. We'll find out soon enough.

Comment

• Well, it'll be interesting. The "fraud" is based on violation of NCAA rules, I believe or some such thing. I believe the entity being defrauded is the school because they award scholarships to kids who may not be eligible. It's loopy.

In any event, if the entity being defrauded knows about the allegedly fraudulent actions then it isn't fraud. And if this were happening in the real world where athletes are actually paid over the table then it's nothing.

So, I remain very skeptical of the case.

Comment

• yeah the FBI being involved makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
            I'll be thrilled if Callipari and Coach K get hit

my first thoughts were Kentucky and KU
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Well, it'll be interesting. The "fraud" is based on violation of NCAA rules, I believe or some such thing. I believe the entity being defrauded is the school because they award scholarships to kids who may not be eligible. It's loopy.

In any event, if the entity being defrauded knows about the allegedly fraudulent actions then it isn't fraud. And if this were happening in the real world where athletes are actually paid over the table then it's nothing.

So, I remain very skeptical of the case.

I think we will also see two things... 1) the NCAA will not actively ask for the information (see no evil, hear no evil) and 2) The FBI will be under pressure by many universities/networks/alumni to keep this behind closed doors.

Like a lot of promised earth shattering news... I bet we end up with a lot less than expected
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• The only time in at least the last decade that the punishment matched the hype was USC. Everything else since then has been comparatively tame -- at least compared to the competitive advantage gained by the infractions.

Comment

• I dont know. The feds had been working this a long time before it came to light in the media. The question is if any of the guys (assistant coaches) rolled or gave up information. And if they did what kind of information did they give up?

This has become high profile so the feds are going to want to nail some hides to the wall, but that does not always happen (see Barry Bonds/Roger Clemens). In this case though there is a much wider net cast here, so I think there is going to be some serious charges leveled here in the public realm. That will force the NCAA to hand out severe penalties.

If I were to venture who are cheaters in the top 16 teams there is some low hanging fruit: Auburn, Arizona and North Carolina had assistant coaches brought in/been caught cheating before. There is 3 right there. I really doubt Duke, Michigan State and Ohio State are caught up in this either.

The rest I just dont know.
                  2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I don't think any school can get one-and-done type players on the regular without some exposure. It may not be a prevalent, systematic approach, but there's just no way you can sign 6 or 7 top 20 kids over 2-3 years and they're all on the up and up.

So, I'd assume Duke is caught up in it to some extent.

Comment

• ACC Basketball = SEC Football
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• It's always been said that Coach K knows how to pick them. And he's obviously selling something that Self, Cal, Roy Williams and others cannot. He's got the best legal recruiting pitch in the country by far. Only UCLA can potentially approach it, though it hasn't in a few generations. We may perhaps find out if that's been enough for Duke or not.

Comment

• SLFU
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Ferme ton piehole

Comment

• Links I posted at the SEC thread:
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Stick with what you know AA...scotch...sheep dogs...and cheating football...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X