No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Wisconsin, Noon, 11/18, Fox/Stream FoxGo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That thundersack is not on Kugler at all. It's either the tackle or Evans. One thing about line calls is the center makes the initial call but the guard and tackle always need to communicate with each other The back is always responsible for protecting the QB before he goes out on a route. If it isn't Evans, than the scheme is stupid. You don't leave a patchwork exposed like that.
    Last edited by froot loops; November 23, 2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Who the fuck is Brian and why should I care?
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Brian is the owner of the mgoblog site. He does the article called Upon Further Review - Offense and Defense. In these recaps he goes through every play and recaps it. He's been doing this for about 5y now, maybe longer. He is highly regarded as an analyst. Here's a link, have a look.

SPONSOR NOTE. We're having a charity tailgate before the OSU game. Details: MGoBlog and HomeSure Lending are having a tailgate before The Game at The North End Zone tailgate space, 1011 S. Main Street (map) from 9 a.m. to a little before noon, with food from Scratch Barbecue and beer donated from Wolverine State Brewing, and proceeds going to the T. Wall Foundation. Tickets (food & beer included): $12 if you buy them ahead of time on EventBritegets you in, gets you a wrist band for the food. Tickets (just beer at the door): $10 suggested donation just to come hang out on your way to the game. Watch/Afterparty: Your ticket for the tailgate also gets you a round at Wolverine Brewing. If you don’t have a ticket for The Game but want to come, you won’t be alone; there’s a Lyft pickup spot across the street so when people go into the game a handful of us (I’m still in the market) are gonna go back to Wolverine State Brewing to watch it together, and more are planning to come back there (and park there) after. Scratch provided the BBQ at the season-opening event, if you were there. It's good. FORMATION NOTES. THERE WERE DEFINITELY SOME FORMATIONS, BACK TO YOU JOHN. SUBSTITUTION NOTES. Same QB and OL as the previous few games until Peters was knocked out. Onwenu did get a couple snaps as a RG in a jumbo formation, with Ruiz popping out to a TE-ish spot. Still mostly Gentry/McKeon at TE, with a number of 3 TE formations that also had Bunting. DPJ the main WR, with Perry, Crawford, and McDoom filling out the snaps. Evans, Higdon, and Walker at RB, with an Isaac cameo on which he got hurt again. [After THE JUMP: meh]
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          That thundersack is not on Kugler at all. It's either the tackle or Evans. One thing about line calls is the center makes the initial call but the guard and tackle always need to communicate with each other The back is always responsible for protecting the QB before he goes out on a route. If it isn't Evans, than the scheme is stupid. You don't leave a patchwork exposed like that.
          You'd have to talk to Brian about his analysis. I think (if it's the first sack you're talking about) he's referring to the possibility that Kugler missed the line call and he bases this on the observation that both Kugler and Ruiz are looking aroud for someone to block while the Wisconsin guy stunts into an uncovered gap and heads straight for Peters unmolested.

The thing about Evans is that there is no way he abandons a protection scheme unless the play is designed to do that or a line call is messed up. It's clear to me that the OL are confused about the blocking scheme and pass-pro on this play - as the commentator points out there are offensive linemen looking around for someone to block while Peters gets sacked. How the end result came about is debatable and speculative.

Brian has mentioned in the past the possibility that the line calls are not being done correctly. It's not like he just came up with this. Game to game, there is a pattern to what is happening on pass-pro plays and he finds the errors consistent enough to assign cause to Kugler and his line calls. It's one guys take. YMMV.

On scheme ..... I agree that there is something to this. Other observers have speculated about this as well on a play to play basis.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Brian started doing the UFRs back in 2005. He started it largely because, like many of us, he recognized how worthless most sports commentary and analyses in the traditional media were. So, he came up with a system for analyzing and evaluating each player, play by play. He also attended a lot of coaching clinics so that he could learn more about what happens on each play. It was groundbreaking and he deserves a lot of credit for it. Over the years, the UFRs have become increasingly complicated -- possibly to their detriment.

Comment

• Brian's been pretty transparent about what he's guessing at and what he feels confident about when evaluating the games through the UFR's. Other than talking shit about the fan base or refs, he's usually pretty conservative in his criticisms. This is especially true about where he places blame on a play and I think that plays into his slow pace of blaming coaches. His base point of view, even during the Hoke years, is to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt until it becomes to systemic to ignore.

Comment

• His base point of view, even during the Hoke years, is to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt until it becomes to systemic to ignore.

Well I think that's not entirely unreasonable, though this year I don't know that he's striking the right balance this year.

Comment

• Brian's default position is that blaming the coaches for anything is stupid and irrational..

Comment

• When it's obvious the player making the mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                      When it's obvious the player making the mistake.
                      If only there was somebody whose job it was to recruit the players and then coach them to not make those mistakes...

Comment

Working...
                      X