Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE GAME 17-MICHIGAN vs osu:Last Call for Saving the Season or Another Round of Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky, I'm in general agreement with you but, since I was in the stands for the game, I could see M playing a good deal of zone and C2. The zone frequently morphed into C1, M2M once osu announced it's play by formation. My impression with Brown and his D was that they hit the right scheme lever most of the time but got out executed with JTBs early runs and later with Redshirt freshman Dwayne Haskins excellent throws.

The back breaker was just a well defended, pin-point pass by Haskins that got osu out of a 3rd and long, extended a drive and put osu ahead for good.

osu was a different sort of offense with Haskins, a much better passer than jtb it appeared, under center. I'll have to wait for the ufr but my sense is that a little more zone and some 5 man rushes with a rusher coming over osu's C (a weakness due to injury) would have been a better approach to get Haskins off his game. Without pressure he was pretty good. With it and with the right gap sound execution (that's what was missing), M's D would have had better luck.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• This is a fantastic break down of O'Korn's INT at 2:47 left in the game.

It answers a lot of questions about ........

What was the plan for Pep Hamilton? It was aimed at developing Speight's WCO skills and optimizing these for 2017. So much for that plan.

What kind of schemes were the M coaches running for O'Korn once Peters went down and for osu? What he ran at Houston and not very well after his Fresham year.

Was the play call that led to the INT on the coaching staff? Nope. It was a brilliant call, the osu S blew his assignment on Gentry and if O'Korn reads it (he didn't for reasons explained at the link), it's a 60y TD.

Bottom line, the coaches did everything they could to put the offense in a position to win this game. Make that play and they probably do.

I realize there was a drive and a half afterwards, but for all purposes this was the end of The Game: In the aftermath there’s been some Michigan fans saying that this wasn’t something the coaches should have put on O’Korn to do—that it was too complicated for a guy who’s already not good at reacting to what’s in front of him. I don’t think that’s accurate. Option routes in general are complicated because they put more on receivers, but for the quarterback it’s less complicated than a West Coast tree. He’s still seeing the coverage and making a read, it’s just that he gets to stare at the same receiver the whole time instead of finding each guy where he’s supposed to be. Now, the Run and Shoot, or its cousin the Air Raid: those are complicated for quarterbacks because he’s got to read multiple option routes. That’s not what Michigan was asking O’Korn to do on this play. I’ll explain. Two bad things happened for Michigan to create this disaster: 1. OHIO STATE DISGUISED THEIR COVERAGE First, let’s go over what the announcing team said about it, since Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt did a good job of explaining what happened afterwards: Ohio State switching coverage post-snap is half the story. They’re talking about the fact that Ohio State showed Cover 2 pre-snap and then ran a Cover 3 zone blitz, with the line slanting, the SAM blitzing, the weakside end dropping into the flat, and the WLB tasked with dropping into a deep 1/3rd zone. [After THE JUMP what O’Korn saw]
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• No, dont need to score right away with a 60 yard TD.

2:47 left in the game? That would be way to much time for osu, the way they were moving the ball.

Bad call!

Comment

• Whats the deal here Jeff? Your the mod who wants to move forward immediately after The Game last year. Now you want to methodically cut up play calling a week after this game. Im done with this game and the qbs of 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            No, dont need to score right away with a 60 yard TD.

2:47 left in the game? That would be way to much time for osu, the way they were moving the ball.

Bad call!
            But the call wasn't intended to get ALL 60 yards in ONE play.. It just double sucks that the ohio DB screwed up and got away with it.

We've become so accustomed to being subjugated by them that their indoctrination is beginning to affect our judgment.

Comment

• Ok fair enough. JOK was missing wide open receivers all day so how about running the ball there on first down?

Comment

• Im putting this game behind me now. :-)

Just has a cup of Vietnamese coffee!

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                  Whats the deal here Jeff? Your the mod who wants to move forward immediately after The Game last year. Now you want to methodically cut up play calling a week after this game. Im done with this game and the qbs of 2017
                  In my view, Seth's break-down of that play was very important beyond "methodically cut(ing) up the play calling...." Maybe you missed it. I'll repeatit in case you did.

There has been a good deal of criticism of the Pep Hamilton hire. Seth had a good explanation of why he was hired and that was to coach-up Wilton Speight in the WCO which was in his skill set. So much for that plan.

He also had a good explanation of what the coaches were trying to do with Peters and O'Korn. They are pieces to the puzzle that when considered in the context of the 2017 season shed some light on how hard the coaches were working to make the passing game work and suggest why Peters was considered not yet ready - knowing this it's easier to understand why Peters didn't get called up until a bit into the Rutgers game and less likely to call out the coaches for their coaching...... a criticism that has been common.

Finally, you can hit on that play call as being bad as much as you want. I'll disagree with you and that's because it was a great call and took advantage of a known weakness - S play - in the osu defense. Seth explained that if you read his post. If it works and the EP is made, M is up 27-24 with something under 1:50 left on the clock. I could go on but what's the point.

Comment

• If pigs had wings they could fly

Comment

• Not necessarily. Penguins have wings and cannot fly above ground. They do "fly" underwater, though. They have been clocked swimming at 25 mph before, which is very fast.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Or if they were ostrich pigs. Then they'd just stick their head in the sand.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That is not really true. It is an often-told tale of understanable origin. Ostriches use their beaks to dig a hole to bury their eggs. Someone seeing this from a distance mistakenly assumes that they are burying their heads in the sand when in actuality it's just them providing a safe place to store their eggs.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You, sir, wouldn't know an ostrich if it peck your eyes out. You are a dimwit and a poltroon. Now feel by Burr dueling glove across your drooling maw.

Comment

• I accept your challenge, but before our duel, consider this:

A bear can run 50 yards in 3 seconds, or up to 40 mph, faster than a race horse for short distances, and faster than any human, uphill or downhill. Running away will only encourage the bear to chase you.

Think on it.

Comment

• I've always advocated bear over jungle cat and, without question, the insipid croc. I need not think about it any further. To the bluffs of Weehawken, biznitch!

Comment

Working...
                                X