No announcement yet.

Rutgers @ Michigan, 10/28/17, Noon, Eastern, BTN/Stream BTN2Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They go hand in hand, when the d respects the passing game the running game opens up. Its that easy sometimes, and its Rutgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      The passing game didn't affect the running game, other than a few 3rd down conversions that allowed them to get more carries.
      I could be wrong but Rutgers plays quarters/C2 or C3. A weakness in Rutgers D is the LBs and they looked to me like they played up closer to the LOS than say, MSU with M's running game being the biggest problem with JOK at QB. The LBs appeared to me to back out about 3y after Peters hit his first three passes.

Since M was getting push v. Rutgers DL that opens up some space for RBs to make cuts or for linemen (an Owenwu looked very good at this) to get to the LBs instead of getting caught up in the wash - a problem for M in the past.

Video will show us that or it won't. I thought the run game was good to start with and improved with Peters in. That might just have been Rutgers D getting tired.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• The run game was open from the beginning. And the types of dink and dunk stuff that Peters was throwing doesn't keep defenses honest.

Comment

• Difficult to give too much praise given the MAC caliber competition. JOK has been a massive liability and opposing defenses showed him no respect, putting 8 plus in the box. Most any QB should be an upgrade.

More notable is the LB/safety issues in both coverage and over pursuit against the run. I don't like Brown blitzing two or more so often, leaves you liable to big play as we've seen in the two losses. Only works if your back seven is flawless.

Comment

• Harbaugh's horrible QB decision cost us the MSU game.

Comment

• Something that helped Peters is how he had a clean pocket on all but one if his completions. Good job to the o-line for allowing some time for Peters. While the d-line is the strength of Rutgers, that only means its below average competition at best. It's Rutgers.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96jKnacEmM"]Brandon Peters Highlights vs Rutgers // 10/14 124 Yards, 1 TD // 10.28.17 - YouTube[/ame]
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                Something that helped Peters is how he had a clean pocket on all but one if his completions. Good job to the o-line for allowing some time for Peters.....
                Today, so did O'Korn.

I have a hard time believing O'Korn beat out Peters on a skill level basis. O'Korn just doesn't read the field. If his first receiver is covered, he's done, he bolts. For whatever reason, he misses open guys on his second read, doesn't take his outlet receiver and by that time he's eating a sack.

Peters, from what I saw of him in a 3 minute post game interview, is a bit awkward. I can see how JH may not have liked the lack of command presence. But the players seemed to know he was better than O'Korn and not by just a little. When he came in, they rallied around him, blocking, running and making tough catches. That was cool to see.

Yeah, it's Rutgers but Harbaugffense was way more efficient with him in there making plays. It's hard not to be overly optimistic about wins going forward. Like most Freshman, he's going to have a Freshman moment at a critical time v. Wisky or Maryland on the road.

Feel good about Minnesota but, damn, osu is going to be real tough. I don't see a win there.

I don't see 2 additional losses for PSU and MSU but osu and nFW just made it mathematically possible, if only a long shot for M to win the East. After today, M's goals are in reach. Play like it.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• "When he came in, they rallied around him, blocking, running and making tough catches. That was cool to see."

I swear that was said in almost those exact words after O'Korn relieved Speight in the Purdue game. It seems to me that backup QBs often have that. We'll see how it goes next week. But I'm glad to see that things are unfolding in what is seemingly a sane way. O'Korn had to keep showing progression if he was to keep the job. I thought he played well enough at Pedo State to earn the start and another chance, but he didn't show progression today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    Today, so did O'Korn.

I have a hard time believing O'Korn beat out Peters on a skill level basis. O'Korn just doesn't read the field. If his first receiver is covered, he's done, he bolts. For whatever reason, he misses open guys on his second read, doesn't take his outlet receiver and by that time he's eating a sack.

Peters, from what I saw of him in a 3 minute post game interview, is a bit awkward.
                    True. Though I find it interesting that O'Korn didn't have that many true passing opportunities in this game. His first two passes were WR screens.
                    After that, O'Korn f***ed up on his next several opportunities. INT - fumbled snap - fumbled snap. O'Korn's last pass attempt, he was scrambling around like a lost fool and threw a horrible pass.

Whereas when Peters had time, at least he made quick and accurate passes. There was one opportunity when Rutgers should have picked Peters off. Got lucky there.
                    and yes, that's what I thought during Peters' post game interview. Seems like a quiet, good kid. But hey, so was Matt Ryan at BC I think...
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• "I swear that was said in almost those exact words after O'Korn relieved Speight in the Purdue game. "

Bingo!

Comment

• At this point, the only things my that really matters for the rest of the season is figuring out if there’s something there with Peters.

Comment

• Bingo!

Peters clearly has the tools, but will have growing pains. This is why I was so disappointed when he didn't start vs FL. He is going to be good - in time... everyone needs to relax.

Comment

• Wojo: No more debate about UM’s quarterback

Comment

• We averaged 6.8 ypc on non-QB carries with O'Korn in the game and 7.4 ypc on non-QB carries with Peters in the game. It's close to being a wash. The O-line crushed it right away. Best performance in a while. If Peters had started, the final score would have been more like 49-14 and the game would have been over at halftime.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; October 30, 2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X