No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Rutgers Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speight will make a number of bad throws/decisions and then just when you are about ready to give up on him, he'll make a couple of incredible throws (like the Chesson TD).

One of his biggest issues is he doesn't seem to anticipate guys breaking open or or so we'll throwing them open. He waits too long and then the throw is late and the defense has closed the window. When it's a quick hitter like the slants and it's 3 step drop and bang, he's fine.

Comment

• He's been burned by some key drops too.

Comment

• he's inconsistent and he may have the slowest release of any QB in the B1G.
        O'korn must have been turning over the ball a fair amount in practice for JH to go with Speight. So-called experts are saying he is improving week-to-week, at least with his reads and going to the right place with the ball ... I don't know if that is the case or not, but he is throwing too many Navarre-type short balls for my taste so far. JH's improvement week better be for Speight to clean this up.... if he can.
        Last edited by Pasadena Blue; October 10, 2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Okorn gives up on the play and tucks and runs way too early. Almost always.

Comment

• If Speight is at or near his ceiling now then it is impossible for me to see him as the starter for the rest of his career. There is just too much talent on ther roster unless Harbaugh treats the QB job differently and makes it Speight's to lose. He is going to have some shitty games where people call for the backup. Guaranteed.

Comment

• Peters and McCaffrey.

Comment

• I know a lot has been made about the D in this game but, I wanted to make one more point that I haven't seen anywhere.

Rutgers completed two "passes" for five yards. The first "pass" was the second play of the game and gained 6 yards. That "pass" though traveled about 3 inches and was really a jet sweep handoff. In my mind it is a pass in name only.

Excluding that "pass" Rutgers completed one pass. A bubble screen that the WR was immediately tackled by three guys for a loss of a yard. Essentially M held Rutgets to NEGATIVE passing yards. That's amazing.
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• talent, you are going to like this ......

One of ufm's bread and butter plays is the veer (or any number of things you want to call this play). First, you'll see video of osu running it successfully against OU and OU failing to defend it (and it's constraints) a lot like M did v. osu in 2015.

In the set of descriptions that follows, you'll see Rutgers trying to run this kind of play, and get picture of how Brown might defend it. Nothing startling schematically but what is startling is the athleticism of Peppers in the roll of Pup (Brown's term for the space occupying Hybrid in his modified version of a 3-4). The 3-4 tweek of Brown's makes it hard for the QB to either read the play side zone or, if he's reading the EMLOS, to figure out who that is and then read him.

Yeah, this is Rutgers and the sequence shows exactly how Rutgers screwed the pooch on this one resulting in a "whooping" of the RB by both McCray and Peppers. If the Rutgers QB pays attention, like I'm pretty sure jtb when he's on his game will do, it's a QB keeper to the weak side of the D and probably a decent gain.

Okay so I’ve talked about this before. Maybe more than once. But Ohio State loves this play, so much that its variations account for 3 of the first 4 plays on Curtis Samuel’s Oklahoma highlight reel (and 2 more are counters off it). Inverted Veer (again) This play is called “Inverted Veer” or “Power Read.” It was the staple of the Borges-Denard/Devin fusion cuisine era, because it is the mullet of offensive plays: manball business in the front, spread party in the backfield. Here’s a basic setup: The offensive line is blocking like power C: block down and pull from the backside, and cave the frontside. A second after the snap reveals why it’s such a devastating play: While a good ol’fashioned zone-read might option a backside defender, inverted veer options the playside end man on the line of scrimmage (EMLOS). That defender is allowed into the backfield and optioned: if he comes up too far, the ball is given to the running back, who accelerates away to the outside—You’ve been EDGED! If the end gets wide to prevent the running back from getting the edge, that opens up room for the quarterback to dive into the gap behind him—You’ve been GASHED! [Hit THE JUMP for variations, and how Michigan defended this]
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Saw it.

It's just hard to apply Rutgers to anything. It's almost purely conceptual because it's basically playing skeleton defense (or offense).

But, I like the approach. It seems to me you hit that approach with decided RPOs with the TE or lead back or you run backside -- which means the DL has to win.

It'll be interesting. In 2014 Bud Foster flummoxed a young OL with the Bear Look. It wasn't new, but OSU didn't have any particularly good counters to it at the time. They adjusted and started using wham blocks on 1 of the A gap guys and other different blocking angles. The next two games teams loaded up with the VT approach and were run off the field.

So, that's two things -- (1) a novel approach can work; (2) it's football...there's no magic bullet; no scheme that can't be solved. I

I think, however, M's secondary will allow M to play hyper-aggressive against whatever base run they're most concerned with -- I'm guessing inverted veer b/c M's interior line has to be able to limit inside power. That's why I have the game in the 20-17 range despite the fact BOTH teams are AVERAGING 50 points or more.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                      I know a lot has been made about the D in this game but, I wanted to make one more point that I haven't seen anywhere.

Rutgers completed two "passes" for five yards. The first "pass" was the second play of the game and gained 6 yards. That "pass" though traveled about 3 inches and was really a jet sweep handoff. In my mind it is a pass in name only.

Excluding that "pass" Rutgers completed one pass. A bubble screen that the WR was immediately tackled by three guys for a loss of a yard. Essentially M held Rutgets to NEGATIVE passing yards. That's amazing.
                      If you include sack yardage Michigan held Rutgers to about a negative yard per passing play

Comment

• A bear front is the rage with some against that stuff. In the 2009 SECCG, Saban, at times, had us in an Oklahoma 5-2 and would shift to a bear on shorter yardage sets with decent success.

In 2014, Elliott was so quick to the edge, he'd be second level on many plays in less than 2 secinds. We needed to run a 5-5-5 against him at times. Pity, refs frown on 15 defenders.
                        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                          I wish I hadn't made Coach Harbaugh mad at me...

Save
                          Save
                          Save
                          So what did he say about Michigan that pissed HARBAUGH!!! off?
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Something about Walmart khakis being of poor quality

Comment

• Holding a camp with UfM the same day Harbaugh held his camp in NJ

Comment

• Moral of the story - Dont piss off Jim Harbaugh!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOnjMM54O0Y"]RVision: CoachChrisAsh Postgame Press Conference - Michigan - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X