MLB and the Detroit Tigers Bandwagon Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB and the Detroit Tigers Bandwagon Thread

So the very average, hapless even, Tigers have won 8 in a row to climb within 2 games of division leading Cleveland and are currently the 2nd wild card team. 9 days ago they were 3 games over .500, 7 games out of first and 4.5 out of the WC. They then swept the 2 teams ahead of them, Boston and Houston, and have won the first two against the White Sox. They've been getting it done every way possible; blowout wins, walk-off hits, clutch hitting and pitching, defense. Really fun to watch right now.

I figure we might want a place to discuss the stretch run for those who are inclined.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; February 21, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Yeah, they've picked things up a bit over the last week or so. Sweeping Boston at Fenway was impressive. The ball is jumping off Miguel's bat again. And, last night's win over the White Sox was special.

I think they still need Cleveland to stumble a bit more, in order to win the division, but a wild card spot seems most likely at this point.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Here's a genuine magic moment from last night. JD Martinez pinch hits in the 8th. His first AB in two months coming off injury. He takes the first offering from Chris Sale 434 feet to center field. The commentary right before the pitch is great.

[ame]https://youtu.be/T01zruU4Z9g[/ame]

Comment

I bet Tigers win the division by more than 5 games.

Comment

Thanks for the thread Mike.

Do you guys figure the Tigers should shut down Fulmer at 160 innings as was the original plan?

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
              Thanks for the thread Mike.

Do you guys figure the Tigers should shut down Fulmer at 160 innings as was the original plan?
              You're welcome, Geezer.

Re: Fulmer, I would absolute NOT shut him down. So they probably will. The Nats did that with Strasburg a couple years ago when they had the best record in baseball and got bounced 3 games to 2 in the NLDS. If you have a chance to win it, go for it.

Comment

I like their plan for him. They're not shutting him down, but will push him back a turn where they can. Maybe pull him 10 pitches earlier or so where applicable.

Comment

I think they are shooting for no more than 180 in innings pitched. It is doable. He's at 120, if you go by 180 that gives you 60 to play with. They'll probably skip a start or two and they have 4 pitchers besides JV to work with.

They did something similar with JV in 2006. Strasburg was a special case as he was coming off major surgery.

Comment

Zimmerman makes his first start back from the DL and is rocked for 6 runs in 1.2 IP. The trainers went out and looked at him after leading off the 2nd with a HR, single, and a walk. He said he was fine then gave up 5 more runs while only recording two more outs. This is not good for the Tigers' long-term prognosis. We only have JV and Fulmer as legit starters. If Z has major issues they aren't going anywhere.

Comment

Tigers still in it. Jacoby Jones, Eric Aybar, and the three young starters (Fulmer, Norris, and Boyd) have all been impressive. JD Martinez has had a great year, and Kinsler, Cabrera, and Victor have been as expected. Maybin has been a pleasant surprise, and Verlander is back to the Verlander of old. Sanchez is close to his old self. The team is relatively healthy with Zimmerman and Castellanos expected to come back. Ausmus has a lot to work with for the stretch run.

Comment

They need to sweep KC.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

6 game trip coming up. I'd take 3-3 with the way they've played away from home this year. And KC is on a hell of a heater right now.

Comment

Definitely would take 3-3. Win one or 2 vs KC, one or two vs CWS. Sweep Baltimore. Boom.

Comment

I'm a little nervous that Miggy might be in for another late season swoon with his ankle bothering him.

Comment

Working...
                              X